Pain isn't normal

By now everyone has heard the phrase, “No pain, no gain.” I’ve even said it, and while it isn’t
completely wrong we need to learn how to tell "good" pain from bad pain. There is a difference between being sore from a workout, in pain because you did something you shouldn’t have, and chronic pain that comes from weakness and immobility. Let me quickly point out on the front end that, yes, some soreness is part of the fitness process and is not a bad thing. I am not saying people shouldn’t push themselves, I want to let you know that being in pain isn’t normal and is fixable. You know that pain that is with when you wake up? The pain that you chalk up to “getting older” or “just part of it.” Well you may be surprised to find out that you don’t have to live with that. Long term, sustainable relief doesn’t come in the form of a pill with addicting and liver damaging side-effects, it comes from movement. WebMD published an article in which they stated that “people who exercise and stay flexible manage their pain much better than those who don’t.” When you’re in pain, the last thing you want to do is to get up and move around, but that’s exactly what you need. I recently began working with a client who is recovering from a knee surgery. At a checkup prior to coming back to training, the doctor told them that he “wasn’t pleased” with the strength in the recovering leg and encouraged them to get back in the gym and get stronger. Since coming back my client’s knee is feeling better and they are moving more smoothly and with less pain. They are able to squat without pain or instability. A recent study conducted by the medical journal Spine found that people who resumed or began an exercise program after treatment for chronic low back pain were less likely to have continued pain, get injured again, or miss time from work due to low back pain. Did you know that you can squat, deadlift, and bench press without pain? More importantly, did you know that you can pick up your kids, get out of bed, and clean the house without pain? Strengthening the muscles around the joints will help alleviate the pain and create better stability. Some people think that if they simply stretch more it will fix the issue. Dr. Kelly Starrett, best-selling author of “Becoming a Supple Leopard,” cautions against just stretching. “Stretching doesn’t work by itself. It doesn’t improve position, it doesn’t improve performance, it doesn’t eliminate pain, and it doesn’t prevent injury,” says Starrett. As Christians we have victory over pain. We can speak to it and it has to go. That being said, we cannot expect God to make up for our poor choices. We can't eat McDonald's and watch TV all day while expecting God to keep you healthy and fit. It's our responsibility to take charge of our bodies. Get moving, get stronger, and stand firm against pain.

Replies

• mnmilnes
    mnmilnes Posts: 32 Member
    Getting out of bed, and picking up kids with no pain grabbed my attention!
  • Thanks for sharing that. It really spoke to me because of the back pain I have after having had 4 children and four epiderals. But I have noticed that this is true. To get up and get moving and just push through with grace is an awesome thing!
  • kindelcollier
    kindelcollier Posts: 8 Member
    There is a lady in my workout classes who is in her late seventies she inspires me to keep moving!
  • catz789
    catz789 Posts: 35 Member
    "When you’re in pain, the last thing you want to do is to get up and move around, but that’s exactly what you need."
    This statement is so true, Jared. When I had a hamstring injury, I borrowed some crutches and stayed off it. A couple weeks later I went to OrthoIndy and the doctor told me that was exactly the wrong thing to do! He said that I would cause it to heal "short" if I kept on crutches. He told me to walk and stretch it out and strengthen all the muscles, tendons, and ligaments around the injury. I went to physical therapy and did my exercises faithfully. Even though it was a bit painful, in my case I needed to move and stretch and strengthen my leg. Thank you so much for your great advice and encouragement!
  • Jared5589
    Jared5589 Posts: 3 Member
    Moving and getting stronger really is a major part in reducing and beating pain. This is the point I was making to Adam in the story he told Sunday. Playing pickle ball, while fun and good cardio, doesn't make his muscles stronger. It can, like running beat up your joints and lead to overuse injuries. Not saying that there isn't a place for running and playing pickle ball but without strength all the pressure and force that your muscles are supposed to take gets put onto your joints. I agree with Kindel about how motivating older clients can be! We have an 80 year old lady here at Strength School that can deadlift with perfect technique! Another lady is in her 80s who since joining us no longer has to walk with a walker and can hitch up her ponies on her again. Her goal is to be able to ride again and I won't be surprised when she does it. Not letting pain rule and control your life is why I encourage people to move, get stronger and stand in their faith. Hope everyone is having a great week!
  • mnmilnes
    mnmilnes Posts: 32 Member
    That is awesome! I like how this discussion is about strength, and you conclude with STANDING in faith. Standing in faith requires strength. This reminds of the many times the Apostle Paul compares living a life for Christ to the physical training, strength, and endurance of an Athlete. One of the ways we are preparing to continue in our pursuit of winning the race is remaining clear headed by conditioning our bodies through disciplined eating and exercise. This challenge has blessed me by showing self-discipline leads to a closer relationship with our creator. I'm very encouraged by this post! Thanks Jared!