Sushi

Options
codename_steve
codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
My boyfriend and I LOVE sushi!! I do enjoy sashimi (just slices of fish). But I'm wondering, would it be rude to ask for a roll without the rice? Has anyone else tried this, or do you just order a bunch of sashimi?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    It's never occured to me to try ordering normal sushi but without the rice.

I try and get together with a friend for sushi every other month, and I just enjoy it but limit my portions. Like, one or two maki, one or two nigiri, some sashimi, seaweed salad. The place we go also does hot food, so I also get some beef & broccoli or teriyaki or something along those lines.

Basically I see it as an occasional treat, and enjoy it (in moderation), rice, carbs, and all.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are rolls that replace the rice with cucumber. Bonzai roll? I can't remember what its called but ask your fav sushi place.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    The place I go to has an appetizer that is salmon, tuna, & avocado with the spicy mayo (which I believe is just Sriracha & mayo)...it's my favorite thing on the menu, even when I wasn't eating low carb.
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Lots of sushi places (at least on the US West coast) offer low carb options now with cucumber holding it all together. But you can also ask for a hand roll instead and ask them to skip the rice, it's a little easier to do than a normal roll sans rice. I recommend sitting at the bar so you can talk to the sushi chef, then you can make recommendations or requests about what to add instead of the rice.

A lot of places do a nice sashimi salad too. You could ask them to add avocado if it's not already in there to bulk it up a bit.
  • VSGJOE
    VSGJOE Posts: 19 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I've made this several times using smoked samon, but it works well with crab and spicy mayo as well. Usually gets us through our sushi cravings. Doesn't help if you are going out, but it is pretty easy and fun to make. Doesn't take a lot of ingredients either. I usually have a spicy mayo with it as well.

http://www.ruled.me/keto-sushi/
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I ask for mine with cucumber instead of rice all the time! :smiley:
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    joebuc wrote: »
    I've made this several times using smoked samon, but it works well with crab and spicy mayo as well. Usually gets us through our sushi cravings. Doesn't help if you are going out, but it is pretty easy and fun to make. Doesn't take a lot of ingredients either. I usually have a spicy mayo with it as well.

http://www.ruled.me/keto-sushi/

Just a note that fake crab tends to be pretty carby if you're on the lower end of the low-carb spectrum, so you're better off using the real thing. There's added sugar in the flavouring they add to the pollock. I usually make my at-home hand rolls with smoked salmon too, it's hard to find sushi grade fish in Scotland :disappointed: Ebi and eel (without the eel sauce) are good options too if you're making it at home and don't have easy access to sushi grade fish.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I make sushi at home on occasion and after trying the "fried rice" (cauliflower) they're now selling I'm pretty sure I could use riced cauliflower, creamed cheese, and butter to make a pretty effective keto friendly "sushi rice". Just gotta find some time to experiment and see what works and what doesn't.

Edit: Read the link Joebuc posted and found pretty much my exact idea with it... good place to start and see how it tastes! :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Bah, now I want sushi for my post-cut refeed on Tuesday. All of the really good rolls are too damned high in sodium and fat to accompany a carb load though. Eating fifteen tuna/asparagus/veggie/sweet potato rolls is really damned daunting. xD
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone!! I'll have to look into the at home option; if it's delicious and we can do it more often it's a win-win. Rolled in cucumber sounds yummy too! Though my BF wouldn't like that so much haha
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I haven't had sushi since starting. I'm trying to be really rigid in my adherence to the "these foods are in, these foods are out" rules b/c I know myself. If I start making exceptions then I'm sunk...I can rationalize anything away. My only exception is when I eat a max of 4 bites of a birthday cake (so far that's happened 2 times in a month)
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I made the keto sushi tonight, umeboshi, salmon, & crab with cream cheese.

It's... fair for the salmon and crab, def needs a dip in soy & a bit of wasabi.

The umeboshi was unedible... those two flavors just do NOT mix. All said and done though, I'd not hesitate to do it again with the salmon and crab, I think eel (unagi) and ebi (shrimp) would be fine as well.

My over all feeling on it would be-- riced cauliflower makes far better fried rice than sushi rice.