Weekly Challenge: March 7th-March 13th

Options
Mjtckwnow
Mjtckwnow Posts: 528 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
Our new week's challenge is all about staying hydrated....some of the ways drinking water can help in our efforts to lose weight are:

1) Staying hydrated can help prevent overeating. Often, feelings of thirst are actually confused and interpreted as feelings of hunger. If you feel a hunger twinge come on between meals, drink a glass of water and wait 30 minutes to see if that solves it.

2) Drinking water decreases your calorie intake compare to drinking something else that could be sugary and high caloric. By drinking water, you can save those calories to use on more nutrient dense food that keep you fuller longer and not waste them on a beverage.

3) Water temporarily boosts metabolism, so drinking 1-8 oz. glass burns about 12 calories, multiple that by several glasses a day and it adds up.

Opinions vary about the amount of water we should drink but the general rule of thumb is around 64 oz, which is 8 8-oz glasses. But few glasses are actually that small these days, so if you drink 8 glasses you are most likely getting more than 64 oz.

For our mini challenge this week try to increase your intake of water if you are currently drinking under 64 oz daily. If you already are drinking plenty of water, focus more on seeing the effects of drinking water to curb hunger twinges and making smarter lower caloric beverage choices.

Tips for increasing your water... add in your favorite squeeze of fresh citrus to keep it interesting, keep a cold pitcher of water in the refrigerator, carry a refillable water bottle with you during the day, and/or use a straw.

Post along on this thread throughout the week about your progress. And keep in mind while we are becoming better hydrated this week, last week's mini challenge & that we are still eating less, moving more and being consistent.

Let's have a great week everyone!

vedxq6sf5gc8.png

Replies

• Kittu125
    Kittu125 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Covered for this one. I drink around 3 24 oz glass water during just short 8 hrs at office
  • Ewa877129
    Ewa877129 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I carry a gallon water jug with me. We have hard water so we refill gallon jugs and use them in our house. I have one jug that's just for me that I take to work. Do I drink the full gallon everyday? No. I strive for at least half. But I found when I had water readily available I drank more of it. I didn't drink as much yesterday just a small glass and I had munchies all day. Then I thought about it....I was probably just thirsty.
  • gdneff
    gdneff Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I used to struggle with this but have being doing better lately. My aunt got me a tervis water bottle (holds 24oz), and that seems to have helped. I think being able to know that I only have to drink 3 of these versus looking at 8 oz cups is part of it. Let's do this.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    gdneff wrote: »
    I used to struggle with this but have being doing better lately. My aunt got me a tervis water bottle (holds 24oz), and that seems to have helped. I think being able to know that I only have to drink 3 of these versus looking at 8 oz cups is part of it. Let's do this.

I agree, so much easier when you have 24oz at a time :)
  • dbackgrammy
    dbackgrammy Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    This is one I really struggle with. I drink a lot throughout the day, but usually white tea (no sugar) or diet pepsi. I am not a big water drinker. I will accept this weekly challenge and try to change this habit. Yesterday I only drank one 24 oz water bottle. Today I will do better.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    SmithsonianEmpress Posts: 1,163 Member
    Options
    I'm all over the place with this. I used to have a water bottle at work and it was on my desk and I constantly drank from it and refilled it throughout the day. I'm at home now so I tried individual water bottles but I forget to go get one when I finish one. So then last month I tried a gallon jug and carried it everywhere I went (even when I ran errands) but when it got room temperature I didn't want it so I put it in the fridge but I would forget about it in there. NOW I label the water bottles with numbers and take one out the fridge and sip on it and when I am done I go get the next one. Is it working...not really LOL! but I'm trying. I love water I just forgot to drink it. I am someone who probably can go an entire day without drinking anything and just eating. I'm strange like that I guess.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I usually drink 16-24 oz each morning during and after my workout and then have a 24 oz cup at work that I refill 3-4 times a day (goal is 4) then drink more water at home. I have incredibly good water at home so it is really easy to drink it there but the water at work doesn't taste quite as good. I have a mild citrus allergy so have to be careful with that so I have True Lemon flavor packs (10 calories per stick), Stur water enhancer (0 cals and 100% Vitamin C sweetened with Stevia), and the new Crystal Light Pure packets (also around 10 cals). I will drink my water at home plain but at work I flavor every other refill. I drink a lot this way (then get the extra steps on my frequent bathroom runs and refills which are at a level below me) and get some flavor which I think helps with craving control. I will also brew a ton of green tea on the weekends and drink that iced in the mornings.
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I am a big water drinker, and have been for years. What moved me from my diet Coke addiction was to get a 64 oz., super insulated Red Wings mug about 15 years ago (I lived in Detroit and am a life long hockey fan.) Now living in the desert, hydration is a must. Like @TheCupcakeCounter I drink about 16 oz before and during my workout. Other than coffee first thing in the am, I have a challenge with myself - nothing but water until my husband gets home from work (anywhere from 3:30 pm to 5:30 pm.) I will sometimes add a packet of Ionix Supreme from Isogenix if I have had a tough workout or feel my energy slip or some citrus essential oils if I want to add flavor. I bought some really nice 16 oz glass water bottles with silicone outer covers last year and use these all the time. My skin suffers when I am not hydrated.
  • jesguinn
    jesguinn Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    This is one area where I struggle. I'll be really good about getting my water in for days and weeks at a time, then just a couple of days without intentionally drinking it throws me off. I will definitely be working on this over the next three months!
  • Zulu87
    Zulu87 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I drink a ton of water all day and have used it to really gauge if I'm hungry or just bored, thirsty etc. Today though I'm so hungry and have been drinking only water, I worked out too. I feel like today might be a maintenance day... learning to listen to my body and really give it what it needs! Happy Tuesday!
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    67.6 ounces today...ill add on to that tomorrow!
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    I got in 86 oz. yesterday & I'm at 100 plus oz. today.
  • ashcky
    ashcky Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I drink so much water that I can't keep track. Lol I am constantly peeing and refilling my water bottle.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    @ashcky...that's my goal. Eventually I will just do and not count.
  • Mjtckwnow
    Options
    hpk1pydlfsc1.png
    1.PNG 432.2K
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    My goal is at least 96 oz of water each day. I hit my goal the last two days. Working on it today.
  • SmithsonianEmpress
    Options
    Not focused today ladies...got half a bottle in :|
    There's ALWAYS tomorrow.
  • dbackgrammy
    Options
    96 oz of water yesterday and 88 oz of water today.
This discussion has been closed.