Co-enzyme Q10

Options
Lois_1989
Lois_1989 Posts: 6,409 Member
Hi guys, I've been seeing a lot recently about taking co-enzyme Q10 suppliments can help you get into ketosis. I just wondered what peoples opinions are on it? Are they worth it if you feel like you are struggling to get into ketosis or is it just another faddy supplement?

Replies

• ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    I don't know if CoQ10 is good for getting into ketosis (others will chime in I'm sure), but I do know that it is good for your heart and other organs as well as your eyes.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    The body produces it in it's own. It's most often found to be depleted in people who take statins. If you're not underproducing, there's zero benefit.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I take Ubiquinol -the reduced form of CoQ10. Not for Ketosis though (never heard about that).
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The body produces it in it's own. It's most often found to be depleted in people who take statins. If you're not underproducing, there's zero benefit.

But how do you know if you're deficient?
  • Lois_1989
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll save my money for avocados instead :wink:
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options

There's a simple blood test. But I can't tell you whether it's worth hanging your hat on...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@Gallowmere1984 perhaps most people on MFP forums need C-10 supplements? :)

webmd.com/heart-disease/heart-failure/tc/coenzyme-q10-topic-overview#1
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

One may want to dig for more facts before passing on C-10 unless one is 15 and in perfect health.
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    Not sure about for ketosis but it is the only supplement I take that I notice a difference from, if I run out and don't get more within a few days my energy levels go noticeably down.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

There's a simple blood test. But I can't tell you whether it's worth hanging your hat on...

Thanks. I'd rather take it and be safe than sorry.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

Wise. :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I know statins will often cause a deficiency requiring supplementation. This was one of the many things I had tested late last year and found I had no deficiency. I'm not taking (and won't take) statins.
  • RalfLott
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'd rather take it and be safe than sorry.

Yeah, the fact it's being marketed at statin-takers now ain't no reason to think it won't turn out to be "essential" in some other context(s)...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under 100g carbs a day, you're in ketosis at least some of the time. If you eat less than 20g a day, you'll be in ketosis pretty much all the time. Your body has no choice. It must produce its own glucose at that point. When that happens, you're in ketosis weather your test strips show it or not. 20g or less is guaranteed. Without question.
    Want to boost ketones for therapeutic reasons? Take a C8 MCT oil or even just coconut oil would help. This has nothing to with weight loss. This is only for therapeutic benefit of higher ketones.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    If you're eating under 100g carbs a day, you're in ketosis at least some of the time.

Hmm. Net or total? I haven't eaten 100g of net carbs in a long time. My ketone level seemed to slip below .5, with elevated BG, when I exceeded around 50g net carbs.

Maybe I should give it another whack, spacing the 50-100g further apart.... :/
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you're eating under 100g carbs a day, you're in ketosis at least some of the time.

Hmm. Net or total? I haven't eaten 100g of net carbs in a long time. My ketone level seemed to slip below .5, with elevated BG, when I exceeded around 50g net carbs.

It was below .5 when you tested. Doesn't mean it wasn't higher at some point or other. I said you'd be in ketosis at least some time each day. Not all the time. If you want to guarantee all the time, drop to 20g.
    I'm a total counting person myself but this seems to be another one of those "it varies" things.
  • Lois_1989
    Options

One may want to dig for more facts before passing on C-10 unless one is 15 and in perfect health.

I understand what you are saying, but if I took every supplement on the idea that I'm not in perfect health, I would rattle when I walk (and it wouldn't be from all the loose change in my pocket :wink: ) If I can get it from food or if the body can produce it like what Gallowmere1984 says then for the moment I will pass. :)
  • Lois_1989
    Options

It was below .5 when you tested. Doesn't mean it wasn't higher at some point or other. I said you'd be in ketosis at least some time each day. Not all the time. If you want to guarantee all the time, drop to 20g.
    I'm a total counting person myself but this seems to be another one of those "it varies" things.

Same, in England its hard to tell if the carbs are net or not on the packaging so if I take it as total it is a bit safer.
  • RalfLott
    Options

So is the idea is that raising your intake while in full-time ketosis to 100g total carbs should leave you in a hybrid state of part-time ketosis?

I may be completely missing the boat, but this doesn't seem to square with Phinney's admonition that eating over around 40-60g net carbs will force you to trudge back up the sand dune till you're back in ketosis again. ??
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Same, in England its hard to tell if the carbs are net or not on the packaging so if I take it as total it is a bit safer.
    Hi Lois, I'm in England too. Most of our packaging is net carbs, with the fiber already subtracted in line with the rest of Europe. If you're using MFP on a phone, use the barcode scanner after you click'+ food' in your diary, adjust serving size and you're done. If you're using it on a pc/mac, type in 'Tesco', 'Sainsbury's' etc before the item and it'll pop up with a UK based entry.