Options
2»

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    suzc11 wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Same, in England its hard to tell if the carbs are net or not on the packaging so if I take it as total it is a bit safer.
    Hi Lois, I'm in England too. Most of our packaging is net carbs, with the fiber already subtracted in line with the rest of Europe. If you're using MFP on a phone, use the barcode scanner after you click'+ food' in your diary, adjust serving size and you're done. If you're using it on a pc/mac, type in 'Tesco', 'Sainsbury's' etc before the item and it'll pop up with a UK based entry.

I knew about the packaging, but when you put fruit/veg/eggs, basic stuff I'm guessing it isn't net? Just the branded packaged stuff?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    RalfLott wrote: »
    If you're eating under 100g carbs a day, you're in ketosis at least some of the time.

Hmm. Net or total? I haven't eaten 100g of net carbs in a long time. My ketone level seemed to slip below .5, with elevated BG, when I exceeded around 50g net carbs.

Maybe I should give it another whack, spacing the 50-100g further apart.... :/

It was below .5 when you tested. Doesn't mean it wasn't higher at some point or other. I said you'd be in ketosis at least some time each day. Not all the time. If you want to guarantee all the time, drop to 20g.
    I'm a total counting person myself but this seems to be another one of those "it varies" things.

So is the idea is that raising your intake while in full-time ketosis to 100g total carbs should leave you in a hybrid state of part-time ketosis?

I may be completely missing the boat, but this doesn't seem to square with Phinney's admonition that eating over around 40-60g net carbs will force you to trudge back up the sand dune till you're back in ketosis again. ??

It's just based on the fact that you're taking in just under, or right at the minimum of what your body requires for glucose each day. So, it forces your body to make at least some of its own glucose.
    I'm not saying it's a form, hybrid or otherwise, of ketogenic diet. I'm just saying that you'll be in ketosis at least some of the time, st low levels of course, if you stay under 100g total a day.
    Definitely not suggesting someone that has been in full time ketosis could raise carbs to 100g and achieve any "hybrid" type ketosis. Just that there would still be some times their body would still need to produce some of its own glucose.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Neither agreeing with nor disputing carb amounts regarding ketosis. Simply pointing out that taking my top 5 alphabetical entries of from "My Meals" as I have it set up in my food diary (by the ounce), I could eat 10 ounces of asparagus, 10 ounces of avocado, 10 ounces of broccoli, 10 ounces of cabbage, 10 ounces of cauliflower AND (not or) and, and, and 10 ounces of celery for 92 total carbs and 42 net carbs.

Of course there is an assumption that I have selected accurate data entries from the MFP database. There is also the assumption that fiber in the cooked items above is equal to fiber in raw since all of my selected entries are raw weights and I usually eat the asparagus, broccoli, cabbage and cauliflower cooked . I choose to not take my mind to the latter (fiber in raw versus cooked) in an effort to not drive myself on a possible short trip to crazy.

I don't eat that high level of carbs but my oh my...My Point: look how much/many vegetables we vegetables lovers could have on a low a carbohydrate diet and perhaps still be in ketosis if we choose vegetables (fiber) for carbs versus "whatever else". Numbers fit both scenarios of "total" and "net". Perhaps this is a reason "above ground vegetables" are usually advocated on (ketogenic) diets?

Sorry just following the off topic. Back to Co-Enzyme Q-10.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I'm not so sure that Co-Q10 will make a difference or not as far as ketosis goes, but I have been supplementing it for years. But I do take a statin... so it is more important for me than it would be for some other people.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll save my money for avocados instead :wink:

One may want to dig for more facts before passing on C-10 unless one is 15 and in perfect health.

I understand what you are saying, but if I took every supplement on the idea that I'm not in perfect health, I would rattle when I walk (and it wouldn't be from all the loose change in my pocket :wink: ) If I can get it from food or if the body can produce it like what Gallowmere1984 says then for the moment I will pass. :)

@Lois_1989 what works best for you is what you should be doing.

In Aug 2014 my health was crashing faster every day after 40 years of major health issues.

Now in 2017 my health is better than I can remember over the past 40 years and my pain level that dropped from 7-8 subjective range to 2-3 in 2014 after being totally off of food with added sugar and containing any form of any type of grain in just in the first 30 days.

Remaining pain has dropped farther over the last month.

One month ago I started doing some of the electomedicine from the Bob Beck Protocol just to evaluate that protocol. The last two weeks I have started high dosage Poly MVA and Artemisinin hoping to lower my C-Reactive Protein levels to reduce health risks from all causes.

I have bumped my Ubiquinol intake from 100 mg daily to 400-500 mg daily since some think it enables the Moly MVA to help resolve issues that can occur at the brain stem and bone marrow levels.

Being 66 and planning to live to be 110 walking and talking the entire way I am pushing harder than a young health person naturally. Yes I am spending huge sums on supplement evaluations yet if I write a book on the subject when I retire at 70 maybe I can get back some of the money. My current cost for example for Poly MVA is $100 daily but that will not be long term because I will be at maintenance dosage long term I expect if I keep using Poly MVA.

My driving force is to learn how to make life better for some of my family members using readily available items sourced online that are being successfully used in Europe and Asia. Having earned an OD degree (1986) that helps me understand research and I do not advice those outside of my house on medical concerns but will share web based info that I dig up if others ask.

People do die from supplement abuse. If one takes any kind of Rx Meds under the care of a healthcare professional they should understand reactions and interactions can happen with meds from any source and be in communication with their health care team. Do not expect most MD's to advice/practice outside of the norms set up by the FDA that may cost them their medical careers. I think that is just common sense. Most will know less about supplements than some posting here.

While supplement use can be a wild card I try to determine that a supplement will not be deadly even at high dosages and that it comes from a company that I can trust.

I try to use the supplements that makes sense to me and listen to the feedback from my body.

Best of success.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input guys! I'll save my money for avocados instead :wink:

One may want to dig for more facts before passing on C-10 unless one is 15 and in perfect health.

I understand what you are saying, but if I took every supplement on the idea that I'm not in perfect health, I would rattle when I walk (and it wouldn't be from all the loose change in my pocket :wink: ) If I can get it from food or if the body can produce it like what Gallowmere1984 says then for the moment I will pass. :)

@Lois_1989 what works best for you is what you should be doing.

In Aug 2014 my health was crashing faster every day after 40 years of major health issues.

Now in 2017 my health is better than I can remember over the past 40 years and my pain level that dropped from 7-8 subjective range to 2-3 in 2014 after being totally off of food with added sugar and containing any form of any type of grain in just in the first 30 days.

Remaining pain has dropped farther over the last month.

One month ago I started doing some of the electomedicine from the Bob Beck Protocol just to evaluate that protocol. The last two weeks I have started high dosage Poly MVA and Artemisinin hoping to lower my C-Reactive Protein levels to reduce health risks from all causes.

I have bumped my Ubiquinol intake from 100 mg daily to 400-500 mg daily since some think it enables the Moly MVA to help resolve issues that can occur at the brain stem and bone marrow levels.

Being 66 and planning to live to be 110 walking and talking the entire way I am pushing harder than a young health person naturally. Yes I am spending huge sums on supplement evaluations yet if I write a book on the subject when I retire at 70 maybe I can get back some of the money. My current cost for example for Poly MVA is $100 daily but that will not be long term because I will be at maintenance dosage long term I expect if I keep using Poly MVA.

My driving force is to learn how to make life better for some of my family members using readily available items sourced online that are being successfully used in Europe and Asia. Having earned an OD degree (1986) that helps me understand research and I do not advice those outside of my house on medical concerns but will share web based info that I dig up if others ask.

People do die from supplement abuse. If one takes any kind of Rx Meds under the care of a healthcare professional they should understand reactions and interactions can happen with meds from any source and be in communication with their health care team. Do not expect most MD's to advice/practice outside of the norms set up by the FDA that may cost them their medical careers. I think that is just common sense. Most will know less about supplements than some posting here.

While supplement use can be a wild card I try to determine that a supplement will not be deadly even at high dosages and that it comes from a company that I can trust.

I try to use the supplements that makes sense to me and listen to the feedback from my body.

Best of success.

Gosh, I'm really sorry but I didn't really understand all of that. I'm not very medically minded (if I'm honest a lot of what I read here is beyond my understanding) it makes LCHF seem a bit daunting but this WOL seems to help a lot of medical issues. I was just reading up on magnesium supplements and it looks like I'm deficient as I suffer from quite a few on the list of symptoms (some before I even started LCHF). So I'm learning as I go along and picking my battles so I don't become completely overwhelmed.

I love that you plan of living until you are 110 (and why not?!) I think that is a great attitude to have. I suppose I'm not old (or wise) enough to have thought that far ahead just yet. It's very hard to pick through all the false information that is fed to us, so even though I could look up various supplements and make a decision for myself, I don't always trust what I am reading online and would prefer the opinions and knowledge of people (such as yourself) who are living it rather than people who are trying to sell something.

I wish you all the luck in your quest for knowledge (I'm sure you will succeed) and thank you for your help! I am grateful for you taking the time to help me and share what you know. (That goes for everyone here)
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @Lois_1989 it sounds like you are on the right road. Yes it is the learning of one bit of info that will lead to five others bits that will lead to 25 more bits of health related info. :)

ancient-minerals.com/magnesium-deficiency/symptoms-signs/
    This site by a seller of magnesium is loaded with good info about Magnesium since you mentioned the subject. If one Googles deeper from any of this info one could be reading for weeks.

Sellers info should be questioned. I do like Life Extension brand research because it is backed up by research references.
    https://lifeextension.com/magazine/2016

The web is a double edge sword for sure. Some posts have an agenda that is not in the best interest of most others. One's medical BS detector can improve over time. :)