Coke Zero?

Options
MissMorts
MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
Hi inspirational people!
I've been trawling through the threads but can't find anything on people's thought on "zero" sodas... not all the time, but as a caffeinated treat...? I know everything in moderation... but I've just started my keto journey (2.5 weeks) have apparently reached ketosis level according to the tests I've done, and don't want to lose it...
Thanks for anyone's thoughts!

Replies

• jayerde
    jayerde Posts: 35 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I personally drink coke zero in situations where I would otherwise have energy drinks or alcohol.

It can give you sweet cravings though.

• MissMorts
    Options
    Good call... I was thinking of using it to kill the odd awful sweet craving! :#
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    If you're looking for sweet... <3....

Some folks prefer Splenda (sucralose) over aspartame and/or stevia to either.

You can get stevia in extremely-concentrated powders or in liquid form diluted with erythritol in little green squirt bottles.

Pure stevia will get bitter on you in more than tiny amounts (1/32 tsp. for 8 oz. of coffee!), but you can give the green bottle a gentle squirt and wind up with about the same sweetness.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    My body is accustomed to sucralose, I order the liquid online, no carbs no calories. I've been using it for years. When I drink diet pop, I drink sucralose sweetened, and try to stay away from aspartame.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I cut the Diet Coke and Coke Zero out for the first two weeks of my LCHF diet and drank only water, but have now brought back an occasional diet/zero coke. There are no carbs so they are allowed, HOWEVER, I have read but not found for me, that drinking the diet sodas will make some people crave sugar (ie carbs) and then people get derailed from LCHF. It hasnt happened to me, but be aware of it and if it happens to you, know that you should stay away.
  • kerbear135
    kerbear135 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero or diet dr pepper habitually...my caffeine addiction is almost as strong as my carb addiction, and I could only give one up and realistically sustain it. If I'm adding my own sweetner to something like coffee or tea, I prefer pure via (stevia) as I find I don't detect an aftertaste.
  • kimmydear
    kimmydear Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I drink Coke Zero about once or twice a week. I do think it might not be the best for me because I don't drink enough water when I'm adding soda to my day, but I don't really think it makes me crave sweets.
  • MissMorts
    Options
    Thanks guys, has anyone found any truth to the runout that even a "zero" sofa can play silly buggers with the way your body processes? i.e. It still has the profile of sugar so your body still physically reacts the same way?
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I've heard that, but I've not had a problem losing weight while drinking it.
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,366 Member
    Options
    MissMorts wrote: »
    Thanks guys, has anyone found any truth to the runout that even a "zero" sofa can play silly buggers with the way your body processes? i.e. It still has the profile of sugar so your body still physically reacts the same way?

I hear this a lot and I realize that for some people sugary taste can be a trigger to desire more sugar, but for the most part, the 'proof' behind the assertion is correlation and not causation.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    hubby came home from shopping with his daughter the other day and bought me the last two cans of diet dr pepper from the USA foods shop (we're in Australia so it's not readily available). :)
  • suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I do drink the occasional diet coke, usually when I'm out. I don't find it has the craving effect on me now, however when I was having eating high carb it definitely did. Now, I've noticed it causes slight inflammation (feet swell). Inflammation was a huge thing for me pre-keto so I really notice it when it occurs now that it's much less prominent overall.
  • MissMorts
    Options
    Thanks everyone!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There have been discussions about this before and I know there are studies that suggest people lose less weight and even continue to gain while drinking diet sodas.
    Theories that I've seen are that the taste of the sweetness triggers an insulin response in anticipation of real sugar coming in. Your body would then balance out that unnecessary insulin by secreting glycogen. Easy enough fix for the body, but the end result is still insulin shuttling glucose into cells. Your body just had to make the glucose instead. I know I've read things that show evidence of this but I don't have anything saved to share.
    The other idea is relating the gut bacteria disturbance from the artificial sweeteners. There is evidence for this stuff out there too. Again I don't have it to share. Consider these possible points to continue your personal research.
    Having the wrong mix of gut bacteria has been proven to cause weight gain, so I personally believe there really is plenty of reason to avoid this stuff.
    Everyone says, "I don't have any issues with it", but can you really be sure? You can't unless you experiment for long enough time to matter for yourself.
    I say I don't have issues with small amounts of liquid stevia, but I base that off the fact that doesn't seem to stir up sugar cravings for me. I can't really know that I wouldn't see some benefit from completely eliminating it unless I actually do that. I'm not too proud to admit, that at this point, I'm happy enough to just keep it very limited. It's ok to make that choice too. But, in the end, I can't honestly say that I wouldn't be better off without it. There's certainly a faint scent of addictive behavior in the air with my reluctance to make that commitment and that's something I don't like one bit. But, I will stay aware of that and it prevents it from becoming a regular thing in my day.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I don't drink soda but I think it's an individual thing for each person. I thought I didn't have issues with artificial sweeteners until my doctor advised me that they might be making my arthritis flares worse. I didn't believe it was the case but I did eliminate them all for a month and when I tried to add them back sure enough increased joint pain followed. Is that a trigger for everyone? Probably not but through a few years of trial and error it's clear it's a trigger for me.

I do sparingly use the more natural sweeteners like stevia and erythritol but honestly I've become so accustomed to unsweetened tea and coffee as my main beverages that I actually think they taste a little gross sweet.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    My hubby & I like a Zevia stevia sweetened soda once in a while... the gingerale is pretty good. If you particularly like a specific cola brand you probably won't like the Zevia cola, but the clear (no food colouring) cream soda is kinda yummy to try.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I have recently discovered that carbonation can cause phlegm response and irritates gut lining.

I have done maybe half a dozen diet sodas in the last 3 years. I find I have to cut them heavily with water to tolerate the taste. I react more to the dyes in things like a cherry soda, but I've also found that Zevia Cherry Cola gives me headaches (the natural flavors are the most likely culprits) but I can drink the Zevia Root Beer. I gave them a try, but I haven't rushed to the store to get more, and in fact, I think I still have some root beer left at home. So they weren't fabulous.

I actually prefer the LaCroix, adding some coconut or heavy cream, and stevia to taste, but the carbonation (have tried it unsweetened and uncreamed) definitely triggers the phlegm response.

I do NOT react to natural fermented carbonations, like kombucha, so I think I might venture out and try this again since I'm coming up on a year out without a migraine.... I'm beginning to think those might have been more fluoride related than anything.