Cannabis and Carbs

Options
fatblatta
fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
http://medicalsecrets.com/3-facts-cannabis-obesity-diabetes/

It's been 40 years but I'll give it a shot if it's decriminalized!

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I have heard that one of the ways it lowers blood sugar and possibly helps reduce resistance is similar to why alcohol also does this. By keeping the liver busy for a bit, it temporarily stops glycogen release, which is generally too high in insulin resistant people.
    My brother in law (T2D) uses it to help control blood sugar. Of course, he'd get a lot further if he would understand that natural sugars are just as much an issue regarding blood sugar control as refined ones. He's always pointing out that he used agave or whatever natural sugar when we eat at his house. He's an amazing cook and by traditional standards eats very healthy. He doesn't understand my eating though. He thinks using agave makes his BBQ sauce low carb so I can eat it.
    Anyway, I kinda got sidetracked. ;)
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    From first hand experience I ate a pint of ice cream every time I got stoned 10 years ago, and I NEVER lost any weight, in fact, I'm pretty sure it was a big part of me gaining weight. I'm going to say, probably lies.
  • codename_steve
    codename_steve Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    They did also say it's just a correlation. I know quite a few people that smoke weed on a regular basis (like daily) and they are all normal weight. Some strands of cannabis have an energizing effect, so while one may be eating more due to the munchies, they may also be moving more, therefore their CICO equation is still in balance.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Lois_1989 wrote: »
    From first hand experience I ate a pint of ice cream every time I got stoned 10 years ago, and I NEVER lost any weight, in fact, I'm pretty sure it was a big part of me gaining weight. I'm going to say, probably lies.

Yea, you might have to trade that ice cream for bacon. ha ha
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    fatblatta wrote: »
    Lois_1989 wrote: »

Yea, you might have to trade that ice cream for bacon. ha ha

I probably would if I smoked it now! :smiley: I gave that up 9-10 years ago though so we will never know.
    They did also say it's just a correlation. I know quite a few people that smoke weed on a regular basis (like daily) and they are all normal weight. Some strands of cannabis have an energizing effect, so while one may be eating more due to the munchies, they may also be moving more, therefore their CICO equation is still in balance.

This is very true! When I smoked some in Amsterdam I was bouncing off the walls. It was probably better stuff out there as well.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Interesting! It's 4:20 every evening at my house so I wonder if that has anything to do with my current weight loss... It's been quite spectacular compared to previous keto attempts! I've only been indulging every day for the last few months as I was telling myself it was to help me with my depression over the breakup of a relationship, but if it's good for my health I'm going to smoke an extra bowl tonight... ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Interesting! It's 4:20 every evening at my house so I wonder if that has anything to do with my current weight loss... It's been quite spectacular compared to previous keto attempts! I've only been indulging every day for the last few months as I was telling myself it was to help me with my depression over the breakup of a relationship, but if it's good for my health I'm going to smoke an extra bowl tonight... ;)

It's probably another one of those "in moderation" things... ;)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options

It's 4:20 somewhere!!! ;)
    I use herbal meds ;) for PTSD, and the key for me, munchie wise, is to only medicate when I'm active. Otherwise it's slovenly city.

My people.... <3
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Liberal media at it's best; thanks internet. The world was a much better place 25 years ago...facts mattered, you had to be a credible author/media source to have merit, merit mattered, no brainwashing the masses with completely contradictory "alternative" facts, & people had enough brains to think for themselves
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    VKetoV wrote: »
    Liberal media at it's best; thanks internet. The world was a much better place 25 years ago...facts mattered, you had to be a credible author/media source to have merit, merit mattered, no brainwashing the masses with completely contradictory "alternative" facts, & people had enough brains to think for themselves

Wait, didn't CellTech come out around that time?

Yeah, people as a whole have always been suckers for a good line.