Can't find a good source of fiber! HELP!

Options
ditsyblond17
ditsyblond17 Posts: 155 Member
I've looked a lot of places, and even sugar free stuff has net carbs. Are those the sugar alcohols? Do I have to count net carbs if using sugar free metamucil?

So lost. I could eat 10 tablespoons of coconut fiber a day, or plain cardboard! Hey, that'll work!

Replies

• suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    If the issue is your plumbing, are you getting enough salt? I had to up my salt to get the plumbing in order. I use 1/2 tsp half regular/half lite mix daily and up it to 1 tsp daily when I have plumbing issues. If I am assuming too much, you can ignore this. There is a thread on this topic, and, if I can find it, I will post it.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    suzqtme wrote: »
    If the issue is your plumbing, are you getting enough salt? I had to up my salt to get the plumbing in order. I use 1/2 tsp half regular/half lite mix daily and up it to 1 tsp daily when I have plumbing issues. If I am assuming too much, you can ignore this. There is a thread on this topic, and, if I can find it, I will post it.

Thank you, I am definitely getting enough sodium. Probably too much, as I drink bouillon to keep from keto flu, too! Thank you for that though.

When I count net carbs, after I subtract fiber, I'm left with net right? But then, it says sugars only half of that. Do I just assume the other remaining net carbs came from sugar alcohols? Can I disregard those then?
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There are no sugar alcohols in sugar free Metamucil. I think the remainder of the carbs come from maltodextrin. You count those carbs.

I wanted to add that I think @suzqtme was asking about your salt/plumbing etc. because a lot of us have found that we don't actually need fiber like conventional medical advice indicates. So basically are you exhibiting symptoms that make you turn to Metamucil or are you using it just because you think you need to get in a certain amount of fiber?
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds and flax meal have a lot of fiber. I like to add both to salads. I've added flax meal to meatballs/meatloaf too as the binder.
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    anglyn1 wrote: »
    There are no sugar alcohols in sugar free Metamucil. I think the remainder of the carbs come from maltodextrin. You count those carbs.

I wanted to add that I think @suzqtme was asking about your salt/plumbing etc. because a lot of us have found that we don't actually need fiber like conventional medical advice indicates. So basically are you exhibiting symptoms that make you turn to Metamucil or are you using it just because you think you need to get in a certain amount of fiber?

Oh, I see! I didn't realize that. in that case, maybe I will rethink the whole 25g of fiber thing. Especially because I never realized how dang hard it was to accomplish. And it's not for plumbing, its just because I thought that it was needed more on keto than ever! I wanted to prepare for when the plumbing freezes ;)

So, how do I know which sugar alcohols to count and which not to? It seems to be that not all are listed on the actual label. Is it not required by law? For instance, Diet coke has aspartame, but has no sugar alc's listed. Weird.

So I know to def count maltodextrin. Anything else?
  • ditsyblond17
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    Chia seeds and flax meal have a lot of fiber. I like to add both to salads. I've added flax meal to meatballs/meatloaf too as the binder.

brilliant idea! thank you!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Oh, I see! I didn't realize that. in that case, maybe I will rethink the whole 25g of fiber thing. Especially because I never realized how dang hard it was to accomplish. And it's not for plumbing, its just because I thought that it was needed more on keto than ever! I wanted to prepare for when the plumbing freezes ;)

So, how do I know which sugar alcohols to count and which not to? It seems to be that not all are listed on the actual label. Is it not required by law? For instance, Diet coke has aspartame, but has no sugar alc's listed. Weird.

"Needing" fiber is another one of those misconceptions. High carb diets benefit from fiber especially to slow down digestion to give the tiny helping hand of slowing sugar from hitting the blood so fast and hard. It really only helps in that case with natural unrefined sugars anyway.
    If you aren't eating all the junk to gunk up your plumbing, like a low carb or keto diet, your "need" for fiber reduces or arguably completely goes away. Do you want to slow down digestion?
    I actually aim for zero fiber because even in small amounts like 5-10g, it constipates me and I get terrible bloating and even show a scale weight gain no doubt due to water retention from the inflammation going on in my belly.

RDA's apply to a standard American diet that is highly inflammatory and full of anti-nutrients.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    The metamucil capsules have no net carbs, but they are pretty expensive (in comparison).... but they are definitely convenient too. I use it when away from home. Another good one is Health Plus The Original Colon Cleanse (-this one is not a pill, just loose fiber in a jar). It has 1 net carb. I use it at at home on occasion.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    http://www.builtlean.com/2012/10/08/sugar-alcohol/

Aspartame is not actually a sugar alcohol. It's a chemically manufactured sweetener like sucralose or saccharin. By itself they have no calories or carbs but to make it a powder it's usually bound with a filler like maltodextrin which does have some carbs and calories.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index than pure cane sugar
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Just FYI, maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index than pure cane sugar

Yep!! I remember reading this on here a week or so ago. I actually had to look it up myself to confirm because it was such a shocker to me. I've been on the look out for it ever since. I've been very surprised at how many products have this stuff in them. Some of my favorite go-to low carb foods actually had it!! Needless to say, I got rid of most all of it from my house now.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Dextrose does, too.. Inulin is okay...and I think there is one other bulking agent that's okayish. I tend to stick to liquid sweeteners WITHOUT natural flavors on the label...
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Cocoa or Cacao have fiber. I usually mix yogurt, chia seeds, stevia, and cocoa for a nice chocolate pudding.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Flaxseed meal. I ate it before and I still eat it. Its basically zero net carbs.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options

"Needing" fiber is another one of those misconceptions. High carb diets benefit from fiber especially to slow down digestion to give the tiny helping hand of slowing sugar from hitting the blood so fast and hard. It really only helps in that case with natural unrefined sugars anyway.
    If you aren't eating all the junk to gunk up your plumbing, like a low carb or keto diet, your "need" for fiber reduces or arguably completely goes away. Do you want to slow down digestion?
    I actually aim for zero fiber because even in small amounts like 5-10g, it constipates me and I get terrible bloating and even show a scale weight gain no doubt due to water retention from the inflammation going on in my belly.

RDA's apply to a standard American diet that tis highly inflammatory and full of anti-nutrients.

ditto! This explains a lot. I'm giving up fibre. Thank you!
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »

I agree with this, chia and flax. Lots of keto recipes out there!
  • whatalazyidiot
    whatalazyidiot Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I don't know if they work with your specific goals, but I am having an avocado a day to help with my fiber content. I just started though, so I am definitely not an expert :)
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Try vegetables. Avocados are high in fiber and fat. Perfect! I think everyone needs fiber unless you have some medical condition. Lack of fiber will make you cranky and constipated! Anyone considering giving up fiber should talk to the gastro doctor.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Here is the king of no fiber: https://www.gutsense.org/author/about-konstantin-monastyrsky.html

I read his book. Draw you own conclusions. ha ha

And before people get in a circle and start kicking the fiber out of me, please do what you want. Eat Fiber, don't eat fiber. But whatever you do, don't read something on the Internet and stop eating fiber because of it. Unless you want to. ha ha
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Baby or bathwater?

One size rarely fits all, and daily fiber intake is no exception.

1. The gut gurus generally recommend fiber for gut microbiome health.

2. Many folks (uh, that would include me) find it helps their digestion and have no particular issues maintaining fairly high daily consumption of natural fiber (chia, flax, spinach, etc) as opposed to processed "funny fiber" additives (cellulose, corn starch fiber....).

3. There's no harm in keeping your mind open to the possibility that if even small amounts of fiber disrupt your GI system, perhaps it's not because the good gut Lord intended you to be fiber-free for your entire adult life....

It could it be that you've got a difficult but solvable science project on your hands - figuring out why you're in a fiberless pickle to begin with and what (if anything) you can do about it.