Post Surgery - with Questions

Options
Elyseinchi
Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
Hi All! I was sleeved on January 30th. Overall, I am feeling pretty good with the food and my new way of living thus far. I have not had any crazy cravings and in fact like so many of you, I just try hard to get my protein in and water in right now.... I am down over 23 pounds - so of course overall I feel so much lighter and better. But here is the scoop...

I get so worn out. I mean exhausted. I go for a walk with my husband and it is all I can do to make it inside to collapse on the couch where I could sleep for an hour or three. I did go back to work right away (one week out) so I am sure I have done too much... but this exhaustion scares me because it is really unlike me. I am pushing myself so I get out of bed but really... did anyone else have this ....

Also, now to add insult to injury, I have now come down with a flu like cold... as I sit in my office, all I want to do is go home and jump in bed.

I would not be so concerned but this is really so unlike me. Any advice (I am going to call my doctor) is welcome. I am so excited about my new life... I hope I don't sleep through it.:)

Replies

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    I had the same experience with exhaustion, I think many other people have too, it's pretty common. Like, I felt like sometimes I couldn't hold my head up. It probably lasted about two months for me. It absolutely goes away though as you heal and are able to take in more calories and protein. You will start having so much energy you won't know what to do with it all. My friends used to laugh at me because I had, and still have, a hard time sitting still and not doing anything. Talk about a total 180!!!

I think it was when I went for one of my very early follow ups, within the first couple of months, I had a HORRENDOUS cold, and I didn't take anything for it because I wasn't sure if I should, but my surgeon took one look at me and told as soon as I got home to take some cold medicine and go to bed. You have to make sure you take good care of yourself, but definitely check with your doctor to see what he is ok with you taking, if anything. Good luck and feel better!!!

• pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    It hit me Sunday, the 2 week eve of my sleeve. Absolutely crashed. Freaked me out. Can't believe I went to bed at 8 and slept like I was dead. Didn't overdo on Sunday. Must be a cumulative effect for me. I can't remember being that drained. I woke up yesterday tired. Today's not as bad. It's just frightening,I thought i was taking it easy too. Slow walks. Limited housework. More butt time at work on the computer.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    I think it was finally the fourth month that I started feeling completely human again. Stick with it, as your body continues to heal, your calories increase, your activity continues to increase, you'll start feeling better.
  • Elyseinchi
    Options
    Thank you all for your insight!!!! I'm so appreciative of this group!!!
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    The exhaustion was real. Good luck with your journey and you are not alone with the fatigue.
  • CatchMom11
    CatchMom11 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    Elyse, I think it's actually pretty common with ANY surgery. I was like that after my c-section, my boss and my sister were like that with their hysterectomies and I have been told by many to expect it myself after I have my RNY surgery next week.

Keep in mind that you're body isn't use to what's going on. The lower calorie intake is new for it, so it's looking for new energy sources. It'll take time, but your body will adjust.

Congrats on your surgery! Btw, you look like Elizabeth Banks.
  • Elyseinchi
    Options
    Hi @catchmom ! Thanks for the compliment and suppprt!!!! Xo
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    As @CatchMom13 said, the lethargy and run down feeling is common with most surgeries. I was back to work in two weeks and felt exhausted for the first two back. After a month, my energy started coming back. It will get better!
  • clcmfp
    clcmfp Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I have a big dog and he needs constant walking. I had my surgery last week and while otherwise I feel like me again, I get wiped out on our walks. They are much shorter right now, much to his chagrin. I feel like my back can hardly keep me upright. I find myself walking with my hands on my hips to support my core. And all I want to do is sit down. I can't wait until this part passes!
  • professor700
    professor700 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Try thyroid support...
    Thyrogold is a great over-the-counter supplement that I use and it works really well for me. Sometimes your thyroid can get sluggish due to eating such a low amount of calories for an extended period of time. It's your body's way of trying to slow you down
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    Try thyroid support...
    Thyrogold is a great over-the-counter supplement that I use and it works really well for me. Sometimes your thyroid can get sluggish due to eating such a low amount of calories for an extended period of time. It's your body's way of trying to slow you down

While this could be true I think it's safer to rely on the bloodwork our surgeons have us routinely do post surgery to determine if our thyroid is affected by the low amount of calories. Maybe I am a cynic but I tend to be skeptical of over the counter supplements anyway, they tend to not be regulated too well.