From High Carb Smoothie Cleanse back to low carb

Options
Shawnee63
Shawnee63 Posts: 39 Member
The green smoothie cleanse really works, but I started having an issue with my bowels. So since I know low carb works and I love the idea of drinking my meals (better absorption of nutrients, I wondered if there was a way to combine low carb and green smoothies. I started with one I made up using heavy whipping cream, a low carb, stevia-sweetened protein, spinach, Himalayan pink salt. It's like drinking a milkshake - Delicious!
I later found a little book with some recipes where I can add a few berries (I just wanted some fruit). I'm hoping for good results!
Anyone else doing this, or does anyone have any thoughts about this?

Replies

• Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    what results did you see from the green smoothie cleanse, and was it a 10 day one?

I haven't been able to find a really good keto smoothie recipe, so I am interested to see what others say.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Scochrane86 - healthfulpursuit.com has a fabulous hemp chocolate shake. I'm sure she has fruit smoothies too... Leanne's recipes are generally incredible...
  • Shawnee63
    Options
    Thanks! Ill check it out!
  • Shawnee63
    Options
    what results did you see from the green smoothie cleanse, and was it a 10 day one?

I haven't been able to find a really good keto smoothie recipe, so I am interested to see what others say.

My results health wise have been great. It was the J.J. Smith 10-day cleanse, which I've done several times. It improved my A1C, triglycerides, cholesterol, everything. I just haven't had the continued, steady weight loss success that a lot of people have and even gained back the weight each time after the 10 days.

I bought a little book called "Super Keto Smoothies and Juices", by Elizabeth Jane. I has 30 recipes. Most don't call for any greens though, but I add them in myself and bit doesn't cost me lo of carb. They are nice and high in fat and the ones with fruit use only berries and no more than 3/4 of a cup, usually less.

Hope this helps!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I've never made one, so I can't say if it's good or not, but Able James advocates a green smoothie breakfast.

http://fatburningman.com/the-best-fat-burning-breakfast-green-smoothie/
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I used to enjoy spinach, avocado and kiwi smoothies with some hemp, stevia and protein powder.

I stopped with them quite a while ago. I am very low in carbs and it did not fit my goals much.
  • MsVino
    MsVino Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Has anyone experienced insulin spikes when liquifying fibres that wouldn't otherwise have that effect?
  • Shawnee63
    Options
    MsVino wrote: »
    Has anyone experienced insulin spikes when liquifying fibres that wouldn't otherwise have that effect?

My smoothies consisted of 50% each of fruits and green, leafy veggies. Because I'm a diabetic, I always added protein powder to slow down the absorption of the fruit and my bg levels were always stable. My last A1C was 5.9. I drank my smoothies 2 to 3 times a day. Since I'm experimenting with LCHF smoothies, I'm only doing 1 per day. They are delicious and full of fat!
  • Shawnee63
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I used to enjoy spinach, avocado and kiwi smoothies with some hemp, stevia and protein powder.

I stopped with them quite a while ago. I am very low in carbs and it did not fit my goals much.

How low are your carbs? I'm just experimenting and I'm keeping track of them on here and and will only use berries, kiwi, or plums as my fruit, but will cut the fruit out completely if I find it isn't working for me.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Shawnee63 wrote: »
    MsVino wrote: »

My smoothies consisted of 50% each of fruits and green, leafy veggies. Because I'm a diabetic, I always added protein powder to slow down the absorption of the fruit and my bg levels were always stable. My last A1C was 5.9. I drank my smoothies 2 to 3 times a day. Since I'm experimenting with LCHF smoothies, I'm only doing 1 per day. They are delicious and full of fat!

I don't know if you use whey protein powder but if so, just be aware that whey is insulinogenic. Meaning it stimulates a surge of insulin release even without raising blood glucose. If you're already hyperinsulinemic (most forms of T2D) it could be really taxing to your pancreas. Especially combined with the fruit.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ how do you find out if you're hyperinsulinemic? Is there a specific test for that? (I have PCOS and assume I'm IR but not positive.)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    macchiatto wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ how do you find out if you're hyperinsulinemic? Is there a specific test for that? (I have PCOS and assume I'm IR but not positive.)

You'd just have fasting insulin tested, but almost all IR is hyperinsulinemic. It's more rare if you're not.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

How low are your carbs? I'm just experimenting and I'm keeping track of them on here and and will only use berries, kiwi, or plums as my fruit, but will cut the fruit out completely if I find it isn't working for me.

I try to stay ketogenic, under 20-30g of carbs per day.

Now the calories I drink tend to be coffee. I add a bit of coconut cream or coconut oil. I like to eat nuts or crunchy veggies so I just stick with that. :)

I also dropped the whey protein powders because they are insulinogenic. I do ocassionally use a vegan one , mostly in smoothies or low carb baking for my family (who are not IR like me).
  • Shawnee63
    Options

I try to stay ketogenic, under 20-30g of carbs per day.

Now the calories I drink tend to be coffee. I add a bit of coconut cream or coconut oil. I like to eat nuts or crunchy veggies so I just stick with that. :)

I also dropped the whey protein powders because they are insulinogenic. I do ocassionally use a vegan one , mostly in smoothies or low carb baking for my family (who are not IR like me).

Thanks for the info! I've only been tracking carbs a few days, but so far I'm around 25. I had stopped using Whey protein, but when I started back low-carb the one with the lowest carbs was a Whey protein. The vegan ones that I had been using had too many carbs for induction. Since I would prefer not to use Whey, Ill search around some more before my next purchase.