How do you get your protein in and how much per day?

Options
Elyseinchi
Elyseinchi Posts: 71 Member
As I am reviewing my diary I am realizing I am not getting enough protein in my diet every day. I have at least 1 shake per day but it's not enough... I am also trying to get my protein in via real foods. So I bought genepro today to add to food... what are you all eating and how many grams do you get in daily?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I'm 2 years post surgery. No more shakes for me. Beans and meats, all kinds. Lots of fish and chicken.
  • Stephaniev51697
    Stephaniev51697 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'm 3 yrs out and I'm back to doing 2-3 shakes a day, trying to kick start my body into losing this 10lb regain.
  • pneschich
    pneschich Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I'm getting around 75. I drink a lift on my way to work a shake for breakfast and I'm at 50. This week a shake for lunch too 70 then pureed dinner 6-10 maybe. Next week I'm probably going to have 2 lift's and have a pureed lunch too. Big Lots had lift for $2 for a 4 pack. Lemonade and orange aren't bad the mixed berry is too acidy tasting. Like sour patch but not that strong. Just off putting to me. Dr told me 75 was my number. So I hit it.
  • StevenGarrigus
    StevenGarrigus Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I was told to aim for 80 daily. I drink a Premier Protein Chocolate shake every morning for 30grams. A afternoon snack of a protein bar gives me anywhere from 14-16 depending on the variety. Skinless chicken breast at lunch today adds about another 35grams. That puts me at goal today before dinner.

Some days I am lower, some days I am higher. But checking my weekly average, I am hitting between 75-80 daily.
  • Lisidy
    Lisidy Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    A afternoon snack of a protein bar gives me anywhere from 14-16 depending on the variety.

@StevenGarrigus - which protein bars do you like? What nutritional values are you looking for in a protein bar?

• NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    @pneschich you are still in the early stages. You need supplements to get your protein in. As you transition to solid foods you will see that you use fewer.

For myself, I eat between 100-140 grams a day. I am lifting. I need higher amounts to sustain my activity levels.

Word about Genepro...read the label. It is 10g of protein per serving. They claim the body absorbs it 3x better than other proteins. So they put 30* for protein. The science is convoluted.
  • StevenGarrigus
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @Lisidy I really like the Atkins bars. They are low sugar and high protein. My favorites are the Almond & Coconut, Chocolate Chip Granola, Blueberry & Greek Yogurt and Pretzel. They range from 14-16 grams of protein each and all of them have a good flavor. They also break up easily and you aren't chewing on them for hours on end.

Mainly, I look for low sugar and high protein. These also have between 15-25% of your vitamins in them, so I am getting a bit extra on top of the various vitamins I already take.

• jamielslater
    jamielslater Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I aim for 60g and above. I drink a premier protein shake almost every morning. That really seems to kick off my day right and I'm then already half way to my protein goal.
  • StevenGarrigus
    Options
    @Jamieeldred, I agree with starting my day with a Premier Protein shake. It fills me up, gets me a huge part of my protein early and keeps me from being hungry until close to lunch time.
  • Italynette
    Italynette Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Cottage Cheese, Yogurt... Bam! It really adds up quick and is auper filling
    I also found this great little recipe for custard cups on Pinterest..
    I'm only in week 3 post op so I really needed some variety that wasn't too heavy and this ended up working out perfectly.
    I have an EAS myoplex 42 gram protein shake in the morning and then cottage cheese for lunch.. Kraft Live Active makes little individual 4oz packages that you can take in a lunch box that also include probiotics.
    Oikos Triple Zero for afternoon snack amd another shake ( Premier Protein ) for dinner...

I usually hit over 80g of protein..

Hope this helps.

• ppmintpatty
    ppmintpatty Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    In my material from my nutritionist, we were told that our body can only absorb 20 grams of protein at a time. So don't bother eating more than 20 grams at a time but instead eat some protein every three hours throughout the day. Aim for 70 grams a day. Has anyone else heard the same thing?
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Options
    Im 3 years out
    I get my protien from various meats, fish, greek yogurt, eggs, beans etc

Boiled eggs and greek yogurts make great snacks
    I like arla protien yogurts. 20g in one pot
  • Samquentin
    Samquentin Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    @ppmintpatty my nutritionist said 30 grams for the max your body can absorb at a time. With a goal of 60 grams per day.
    It is weird they all (surgery offices/nutritionists) say different things!
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I have my protein intake set pretty high compared to a lot of bariatric patients. Currently set at 105 grams, or 35%. I don't hit that most days, I get around 90-95 grams. As long as you don't mind your food being basic and a little boring, it's not crazy hard. Today, for example, I'm having chicken for both lunch and dinner, a protein shake for breakfast, and some eggs for a snack.

https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/nutrients/report?nutrient1=203&nutrient2=&nutrient3=&&max=25&subset=0&offset=2950&sort=f&totCount=8489&measureby=g

Per the USDA food database, 100g (about 3.5oz) of raw chicken breast (meat only) is 22 grams of protein (pg 117 on the link).
  • Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Question....For example: If you can only absorb 30 gm of protein at a time, but maybe only 50% of what you eat is absorbed....does that mean 60 gm of protein at a time is appropriate and what we should shoot for? I'm still in prep mode and trying to learn.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    The whole idea of how much to eat in one sitting is greatly debated. Old research vs new research continues to conflict. Newer research shows your body knows how to hold and absorb and use much more than 30 grams of protein.

Also, new research shows that "too much protein" is a myth. Before, people thought it would tax your kidneys, so they limited what they ate.

I eat about 120 grams of protein a day. I do lift, so I do need more for the muscle repair. I also eat about 100 grams of carbs a day to supply the energy I need.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    My surgeon has a different take on the whole protein intake debate...outside of the pre-surgical preparation and initial healing phase, he advocates lower protein intake as a long term strategy. He himself is a vegan, so you can see where this is going...

I don't have a moral opposition to eating tasty animals, but I did cut out meat a little more than 4 months ago and now I've seemed to lost my taste for it.

I eat eggs, cheese, yogurt, some tofu, nuts, beans, edamame, and lots of different vegetables. I also incorporate steel cut oats, whole grains like farro, and some sprouted grain bread products in limited quantities. I drink 2-3 servings of protein shake a day (primarily Syntrax)--because I like them more than anything--so I know that I am getting at least 40-60 grams a day.

I set limits on sugar and carbohydrates in prepared products (chocolate, protein/granola bars, cookies, etc.) No more than 10 grams of sugar and/or 20 grams of carbohydrates per serving.

I run an average of 30-50 miles a week (have done up to 75) and mix in weights, yoga, and elliptical. I use higher carbohydrate bars (Cascadian Farms Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmel Bars are an amazing treat) and more oatmeal in the days leading up to races to give myself a little reserve.
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I *try* for at least 80 a day. Some days I hit less and some days more. My basic day is eggs, protein shake, cheese sticks, deli meat, greek yogurt, and chicken. I add in fruits and veggies for variety. I'm pretty boring when it comes to getting in protein. Lately I've been crazy with my eating....trying to get back on track.
  • Miss_Hattie
    Miss_Hattie Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I was told to aim for 80 daily. I drink a Premier Protein Chocolate shake every morning for 30grams. A afternoon snack of a protein bar gives me anywhere from 14-16 depending on the variety. Skinless chicken breast at lunch today adds about another 35grams. That puts me at goal today before dinner.

Some days I am lower, some days I am higher. But checking my weekly average, I am hitting between 75-80 daily.

Hi Steven. I just discovered those shakes and they are really good tasting... and 30 gm of protein. I just wish they weren't so pricey.