edited March 2017 in Social Groups
Hi Everyone,

Starting Weight 2/24 - 198lbs
Current weight - 192lbs
Heights 5'11
BF% - 18

I started my OMAD journey on 2/24/17.

Goal Weght range 160-170lbs with 12-14% BF

I was around 240lbs for a long time and dropped the weight between Feb 2015 to August 2015 but i hit a big plateau since then. I realized i still was eating too much. I work out 5 days a week but saw no results.

I have been doing OMAD with a slight variation. I have an apple around 4 pm and my dinner around 8 but i have been having a hard time either 1) eating a huge meal 2) getting all my macros in. i am still trying to figure this out but very excited about this journey. I am incorporating 1 refeed day where i eat at maintenance (2000 calories) in a 16/8 IF style. Still learning and taking in one day at a time!

My Biggest challenge where i need to figure or need help :

How to eat all my macros and a well balance diet in just one meal. I get full half way through the meal and i dont want to eat just 1000 calories a day which may have long term negative effects.

Thanks!

Replies

• Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Welcome! What are your calorie and macro goals?
  • rs2332
    rs2332 Posts: 116 Member
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    Welcome! What are your calorie and macro goals?

Thanks! 1600-1800. 50% carbs 30% protein 20% fats
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    First of all, you're still in the adjustment period, so don't expect to be able to eat everything in one sitting and still be comfortable. You shouldn't stuff yourself either. You may need to adjust your macros for a short time to allow for more calorie dense foods, like fats, that don't take up space in your stomach, but boost your calories. Once you fully adjust to OMAD, you will most likely find it easier to eat more food than you are now without becoming uncomfortable. That's what I found, anyway. Your stomach has to get used to it slowly. I was miserably full the first couple of weeks and pushed too hard to get my minimum calories. It really wasn't that important for such a short period of time (2 weeks).

Secondly, try out this website for ideas to meet your calorie range with macros. https://www.eatthismuch.com/diet-plan/1700-calorie/
    With a free account, you can choose your calorie level, macros, and number of meals in a day as well as which type of meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). Hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Just off the top of my head, I would suggest laying off the bulky vegetables during this adjustment period. Like broccoli...save it for later on when your stomach adjusts to the volume of food you're trying to consume comfortably. Maybe hold the pasta too, since it expands and takes up so much space. Also, I would think spinach and kale would be good veggie options since they tend to shrink down. Maybe eat them cooked rather than raw.
  • rs2332
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    First of all, you're still in the adjustment period, so don't expect to be able to eat everything in one sitting and still be comfortable. You shouldn't stuff yourself either. You may need to adjust your macros for a short time to allow for more calorie dense foods, like fats, that don't take up space in your stomach, but boost your calories. Once you fully adjust to OMAD, you will most likely find it easier to eat more food than you are now without becoming uncomfortable. That's what I found, anyway. Your stomach has to get used to it slowly. I was miserably full the first couple of weeks and pushed too hard to get my minimum calories. It really wasn't that important for such a short period of time (2 weeks).

Secondly, try out this website for ideas to meet your calorie range with macros. https://www.eatthismuch.com/diet-plan/1700-calorie/
    With a free account, you can choose your calorie level, macros, and number of meals in a day as well as which type of meal (breakfast, lunch, or dinner). Hopefully that will give you some ideas.

Just off the top of my head, I would suggest laying off the bulky vegetables during this adjustment period. Like broccoli...save it for later on when your stomach adjusts to the volume of food you're trying to consume comfortably. Maybe hold the pasta too, since it expands and takes up so much space. Also, I would think spinach and kale would be good veggie options since they tend to shrink down. Maybe eat them cooked rather than raw.

Great information! That was my issue. I would try to eat a bunch of veggies and feel full so i switched to stuff like PIzza and burgers with health fats on side. I like this website too. Thank you!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    It's hard for me too, I don't think I've ever eaten 1000 calories but I still lose weight...Welcome :)
  • rs2332
    Thank you! I need to get the unsalted nuts from Costco since it packs a lot of good fats and decent amount of calories to fill in!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    About the only thing you really need from what I understand is protein and micro-nutrients. Following that logic, I would eat a whey protein shake 1st with some fruit (micro-nutrients), then a salad with some more protein (at that point I would consider I have eaten all I needed to eat cause I got my micros and protein), and then after that I would have a small dinner and maybe a small treat after. I can eat and I have no problem putting down 2000 or even 3000 cals in an evening if I try. I think if you prioritize what you eat, you can get what you need without eating too much. I've backed off doing that though cause eating that much for me makes me have a little high blood sugar next morning (fine an hour after eating though). I don't think that would happen with more restricted calories.
  • rs2332
    blambo61 wrote: »
    About the only thing you really need from what I understand is protein and micro-nutrients. Following that logic, I would eat a whey protein shake 1st with some fruit (micro-nutrients), then a salad with some more protein (at that point I would consider I have eaten all I needed to eat cause I got my micros and protein), and then after that I would have a small dinner and maybe a small treat after. I can eat and I have no problem putting down 2000 or even 3000 cals in an evening if I try. I think if you prioritize what you eat, you can get what you need without eating too much. I've backed off doing that though cause eating that much for me makes me have a little high blood sugar next morning (fine an hour after eating though). I don't think that would happen with more restricted calories.

But doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of one meal a day? Just curious because i thought i am supposed to eat only once a day, one plate full. Is that not so?
  • blambo61
    rs2332 wrote: »

But doesnt that defeat the whole purpose of one meal a day? Just curious because i thought i am supposed to eat only once a day, one plate full. Is that not so?

You can still eat one plate a day and get in nutrients you want you just have to plan for it. You will lose faster doing one plate a day also. I didn't do one plate a day and lost slower and I'm also working out a lot. I was very loose with my cals. I believe Joe stated that you can have one beverage with your plate, maybe make that a protein drink and have a small salad with your plate and you should be good to go (take a supplement)! Your needs are a little different than someone who is very heavy. I wouldn't worry much about protein or anything else if really heavy and just do the one plate and get the weight off. That would be the priority. Being fairly low body fat yourself, you might make muscle retention more of a priority.
  • rs2332

You can still eat one plate a day and get in nutrients you want you just have to plan for it. You will lose faster doing one plate a day also. I didn't do one plate a day and lost slower and I'm also working out a lot. I was very loose with my cals. I believe Joe stated that you can have one beverage with your plate, maybe make that a protein drink and have a small salad with your plate and you should be good to go (take a supplement)! Your needs are a little different than someone who is very heavy. I wouldn't worry much about protein or anything else if really heavy and just do the one plate and get the weight off. That would be the priority. Being fairly low body fat yourself, you might make muscle retention more of a priority.

Thank you! That makes more sense now.
  • rs2332
    Its been close to 2 weeks since starting OMAD. I love how i can eat pizza and burgers (in moderation) and still lose weight! Yesterday i Weighed in around 190 with 17.6% bf. I understand it fluctuates but i CANNOT WAIT TO GET OFF 190s and into 180s :smile:
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    So awesome, congrats on your progress!
  • blambo61
    Its been close to 2 weeks since starting OMAD. I love how i can eat pizza and burgers (in moderation) and still lose weight! Yesterday i Weighed in around 190 with 17.6% bf. I understand it fluctuates but i CANNOT WAIT TO GET OFF 190s and into 180s :smile:

Hope to be where your at in in a few months.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    You're doing well! Make us all proud :)
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    You'll be in the 180s soon!!! :)
  • rs2332
    Thanks Everyone!
  • rs2332
    The hunger pangs are starting to go down now that i have crossed the 2 weeks. I still eat one apple around 4 pm before having my dinner around 730-8. I tend to eat 1/4 cup mixed unsalted nuts first and then eat dinner. Not sure if that defeats the purpose.

Overall i feel great and clothes fit better but the weight scale is still Yo-Yo between 190 to upper 192's. I weigh myself daily but trying hard not to get impatient to get to 180s. Starting to really enjoy the fasting highs! Anyone else have similar experiences?
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    The hunger pangs are starting to go down now that i have crossed the 2 weeks. I still eat one apple around 4 pm before having my dinner around 730-8. I tend to eat 1/4 cup mixed unsalted nuts first and then eat dinner. Not sure if that defeats the purpose.

Overall i feel great and clothes fit better but the weight scale is still Yo-Yo between 190 to upper 192's. I weigh myself daily but trying hard not to get impatient to get to 180s. Starting to really enjoy the fasting highs! Anyone else have similar experiences?

Yes! I know what you mean about the "fasting highs!" I'm only on my 5th day and it seems to be getting easier. I usually feel pretty hungry an hour before I have my OMAD but I just drink a lot of hot tea to help settle it. I also eat unsalted nuts at my meal they are a great source of healthy fats. You are doing amazing!! Remember this is a journey and not a race...enjoy the process!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    yep, the fasting high is pretty cool
  • blambo61
    Not getting an afternoon sugar crash is a big bonus also!