VERY disappointed in the "new" South Beach Diet

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
I wish Dr. A. hadn't sold the diet, the name, his rights etc.
The "new" South Beach Diet is NOTHING like the South Beach Diet.

It's prepackaged, chemical filled, low carb crap.
It even advertises itself as "low carb", which Dr. A. vehemently said the SBD was not.

GRR. Wish they'd just named it something else.

Replies

• magic71755
    magic71755 Posts: 3,807 Member
    Options
    I wish Dr. A. hadn't sold the diet, the name, his rights etc.
    The "new" South Beach Diet is NOTHING like the South Beach Diet.

It's prepackaged, chemical filled, low carb crap.
    It even advertises itself as "low carb", which Dr. A. vehemently said the SBD was not.

GRR. Wish they'd just named it something else.
    He sold out. Not a good thing. Let us all down. It's NS with the SB label. Dumb.
  • katsoslim
    katsoslim Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Oh no! Is this for the south beach diet delivery service I keep seeing online? I ordered it to give it a try. It's chemical filled crap? Yikes! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ugh....
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    katsoslim wrote: »
    Oh no! Is this for the south beach diet delivery service I keep seeing online? I ordered it to give it a try. It's chemical filled crap? Yikes! Guess I shouldn't be surprised. Ugh....
    Yeah... it bears virtually no resemblance to the original South Beach diet. IMHO mail order food can't possibly NOT be full of lots of artificial foods. How could it "stay fresh"?
  • katsoslim
    Options
    So since I ordered the "south beach.com" diet before I checked MFP and it was too late to cancel, here's a couple things worth noting (incase anyone checks this thread in the future and is curious because their website doesn't give much info at all) from my order that arrived today:

1) you can only order a month at a time and all of the meals come frozen. Hopefully they change that in the future because I doubt many people have enough room in their freezer. A month of frozen meals arrived at my front door in a 50+ ilb cooler that was too heavy for me to lift. I had to open it outside, in the snow no less, and bring in the frozen meal cartons a few at a time. My entire freezer is now packed (and it's a huge subzero freezer) with frozen SB meals.
    2) the first thing I noticed is that the packaging is really nice. If they sold these at Whole Foods I'd probably try them BUT on the down side, they look like super small meals. The calories for the breakfast dishes range from 100-200 and between 200-300 for the lunch and dinners. That's so low! The cartons are labeled with phase 1 - for the first two weeks, and phase 2 for the second two weeks.
    3) the guide that came with it says that you have to supplement the microwave meals they sent with an extra 3 oz of protein, a couple servings of non-starchy vegetables, and 2-3 servings of healthy fat a day. I thought this was an all-inclusive deal? I'm annoyed already. There's a few good brochures and a colorful guide that comes with the shipment and explains everything. They also include a cute week by week planner with SB eating tips, exercise ideas, and motivational thoughts.
    4) I'm used to eating organic meats from Whole Foods so I knew this was going to be an adjustment. I'm glad that the ingredient list doesn't include a laundry list of chemicals, but the first dish I tried (chicken Roma) had less than savory chicken bits that were a little chewy after 4 minutes in the microwave. The green beans and sauce, however, were rather tasty. I'm a picky with my meats though so if you don't mind microwaveable meals then this may not be a bad choice for you.

I ordered the delivery for convenience sake because I just had a baby and want to lose my baby weight and avoid the hassle of grocery shopping and cooking for the first few weeks. I'm going to try and stick with it for a month. I'm not thrilled that's it's all microwaveable fare but maybe that along with the fact that the meat is not high quality will help me eat less and lose more? Wishful thinking. ;)

• Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for posting this. Could you (in between being a mommy!) take a photo of the ingredients of a breakfast, and the ingredients of a lunch or dinner and post those? And maybe a picture of one of the packages since you said the packaging is really nice?

Thanks! Glad they are somewhat edible!
  • katsoslim
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Did I mention the small portions? Lol. Here's a comparison to a lemon and a dollar bill to give you an idea.. and keep in mind the breakfast dishes are about half this size and half the calories... b3kuau8bp9my.jpg
    omf4nfuw14fs.jpg
  • katsoslim
    Options
    200 calories in this sample dinner/lunch entree. They are all around 200 calories as I stated above. 1wlm4rssovj9.jpg
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Thanks for these!! Yes, they are small!! Not *as* processed as I'd feared.
  • NOLA19
    NOLA19 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Soooo I am late to the game here but did the same thing... ordered meals before reading reviews. :( Did those who ordered end up losing with the meals?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    NOLA19 wrote: »
    Soooo I am late to the game here but did the same thing... ordered meals before reading reviews. :( Did those who ordered end up losing with the meals?

They didn't end up looking as bad as I thought, chemical wise, but I'll let those who ordered answer. After that, if still interested, look at our main posts. Phase 1, 2, 3 foods are so easy to work with. Katelyns kitchen has a million recipes. No need for the expense! Good luck!
  • njitaliana
    njitaliana Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    I guess I need to tell people l'm doing "the original South Beach Diet" when they ask. I told my sister I was doing South Beach and she said "I can't afford that." I asked, "You can't afford a chicken breast, a small sweet potato and broccoli?" And she said, "Oh, that is South Beach?" She thought it was all the prepackaged stuff. Ugh.