Hi guys!

Options
rugged1529
rugged1529 Posts: 95 Member
Hello all. My name is Kenny and this is my first post. :) I am 6'2' 345 and currently doing keto, IF, and starting weight training in about three weeks. calories for my goal weight 250 is about 3200 calories. Do you guys think I should eat this much on IF/keto? It just seems like i'm eating so much food. My eating window is form 11:30 - 6:30. I am just doing light exercise now because I was diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis (which is getting better since starting keto!) Let me know what you guys think and nice to meet all of ya'll!

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Hi. I would suggest you take a few minutes and skim through the sticky thread called LCD Launchpad. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

Among the great info in that mini-encyclopedia are links to keto calculators, which may help you dial in your personal settings.
  • kolsonsmamaw1
    kolsonsmamaw1 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Once I started IF my hunger went way down. I only eat if I'm truly hungry. I'm not a breakfast eater my window is usually 11-7. I usually eat around 1500 calories a day. Maria Emmerick has some great books and a blog that is awesome. http://www.mariemindbodyhealth.com
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I would suggest you pay less attention to calories and more towards eating real food when you are hungry and only when you are hungry especially for the first month or so as your body adjusts. In the beginning, just make sure you are staying under 20 g carbs and getting enough protein without going crazy with it because it can be converted to glucose via gluconeogenisis. How much goes this route depends on the excess consumed, energy needed, metabolic health and genetics.

Speaking as someone who burns about 3200-3500 cal per day at maintenance, it can be a fairly high amount to reach without going over on carbs and protein. At 6'1" and 185, my protein needs are below yours, but my high activity level has allowed me to have more protein without being kicked out of ketosis.

I sort of do IF with a similar window. It is not pure IF because I do add about a TB of MCT to my coffee in the morning. That is about the only way I have found I can get enough calories to not lose more weight.

As long as you are trying to lose though, do NOT feel like you have to eat up to any level. If you have 2000 calories and are full, stop eating. You will have days when you are just not hungry once you are fat adapted. Take advantage of those because you will have other days where you are very hungry. On those days, make sure you get enough fat because that will help. Butter on a ribeye is awesome as a way to bump up the fat.
  • StarshipFighter23
    StarshipFighter23 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Hi Kenny! Welcome to the forum and the keto lifestyle! I concur with Ralf that it's worth having a good read through the stickys on the main page - they were an invaluable resource when I started this time. Also, it's probably worth using several different calculators for your basal metabolic rate just to see what range of daily calories you can fit into. As mentioned above, if your macros are something like, the amount of fat you will be eating should keep you satisfied for longer, and as you get adjusted to IF you won't feel the hunger pangs. Have you looked into keto (or bulletproof) coffee? With the sort of target daily calories you have a 400cal cup of Joe will not be too difficult to fit in, it doesn't break your fast and helps keep you feeling satisfied through the morning. I'm IF between 10.00pm and 2.00pm but I have a keto coffee when I arrive at work. Even on 1500cals per day I rarely find myself feeling hungry before the eating window opens...
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    Hi. I would suggest you take a few minutes and skim through the sticky thread called LCD Launchpad. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

Among the great info in that mini-encyclopedia are links to keto calculators, which may help you dial in your personal settings.

I also really like the Ketogains macro calculator. Even if you aren't lifting. I think it gives the safest plan for fat loss without risking muscle loss.
    http://ketogains.com/ketogains-calculator/
    This would help you know your calorie limit for losing fat and later on, you can adjust it to gain muscle. But you'll want to save that til after you've lost the weight you want to lose. In the mean time, it will keep you from losing muscle. Once you start lifting in a few weeks, recalculate with your lifting schedule and it should adjust protein as needed.