Lately: More Tired, Less Energy?

Options
Violet_Flux
Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
The last little while, I've noticed I'm feeling more and more tired, and have less energy.

Just a month or two ago I had no trouble getting up in the morning, and was enthusiastic about daily excercise. Nowadays it feels like an act of will to get on the bike, when all I really want to do is be back in bed. At work I'm just barely above the level of 'showing up', very ineffective and not getting much done.

There have been two changes over the past 2 months, that maybe are involved?

Diet-wise I joined MFP and got stricter about carbs. I estimate I was on about 50g / day before, now I am under 20g net / day. I wasn't actually counting or tracking food/calories/carbs prior to Jan 30th, but I can estimate based on what I was eating at the time. My calories are maybe on the low side, but I'm satisfied. Not feeling hungry or deprived.

Excercise-wise, I had to switch from daily walks to daily biking (on the trainer for now), because I developed plantar fasciitis and the pain got to be intolerable. I'm spending less time on the bike than I was walking, and according to the excercise app in my watch, I'm burning fewer calories on the bike than I was burning when walking.

The forced switch to cycling has bothered me somewhat, I really really want to be walking. For the past 10 years I was too out-of-shape to walk more than 100 meters without getting winded, and I was really pumped about being able to walk anywhere. I was doing 4km / day minimum and loved it. Having that 'taken away' was a real blow.

For what it's worth, I have been in ketosis more or less since the end of August 2016. I check with ketostix 2 or 3 times a week and with a few isolated exceptions, there's always been a positive reading. The actual amount varies depending on what time of day I test, but I've been told the actual amount isn't that relevant anyways?

So I'm sort of stuck wondering if I'm doing something wrong, or if the tiredness is just emotional or 'because weather' or something like that.

Any advice would be most appreciated!

p.s. my food diary is public if anyone wants to check what sorts of stuff I'm eating.

Replies

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    How's your salt intake?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You eat A LOT of pork.
    Read this and see if you think it fits

https://zerocarbzen.com/pork/
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    You eat A LOT of pork.

Wow! That is interesting. Thx!
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thank you both for getting back to me.

@Cadori, I think it's ok? I usually get 4000 to 5000mg per day? I've never knowingly gone through keto-flu symptoms, unless maybe it's been at a low level that didn't really stick out to me? I do drink a lot of water though. I only drink to thirst but I have days where I'm up to 14 cups in the day.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Dang I've never heard of that before. Pork is sort of the staple meat of my diet. I like it, and it's cheap. Poultry and Beef are both significantly more expensive around here, and I'm not that keen on either of them. I do steak on the BBQ when the weather permits.

Actually one thing I neglected to mention, I've basically been 'Tired' as my default, most of my adult life. That had improved along with energy levels while doing this dieting & excercising, until recently.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    Thank you both for getting back to me.

@Cadori, I think it's ok? I usually get 4000 to 5000mg per day? I've never knowingly gone through keto-flu symptoms, unless maybe it's been at a low level that didn't really stick out to me? I do drink a lot of water though. I only drink to thirst but I have days where I'm up to 14 cups in the day.

@Sunny_Bunny_ Dang I've never heard of that before. Pork is sort of the staple meat of my diet. I like it, and it's cheap. Poultry and Beef are both significantly more expensive around here, and I'm not that keen on either of them. I do steak on the BBQ when the weather permits.

Actually one thing I neglected to mention, I've basically been 'Tired' as my default, most of my adult life. That had improved along with energy levels while doing this dieting & excercising, until recently.

I don't doubt there's a mental component to it too. Just reading the changes you had to make really make that apparent to me. When I have to do things I don't want to or differently than I want to, it can sure suck the wind out of your sails.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    You eat A LOT of pork.

Interesting... Every now and then I have high glucose readings after supper, and then other days I will be within spitting distance of double digits. This has been one of those great puzzles for me, and I was always trying to find a pattern in the carb consumption. I have gone back with a couple of recent ones, and there was no pork involved.

It does mean I need to look at protein sources as I try to dial things in.

• suzc11
    suzc11 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    According to this article, you just need to start marinading the fresh pork first in an apple cider vinegar solution (I couldn't see what else was in it). It's a tiiiiny study, but no harm in trying it out to see if you see a difference.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    You eat A LOT of pork.

Interesting... Every now and then I have high glucose readings after supper, and then other days I will be within spitting distance of double digits. This has been one of those great puzzles for me, and I was always trying to find a pattern in the carb consumption. I have gone back with a couple of recent ones, and there was no pork involved.

It does mean I need to look at protein sources as I try to dial things in.

I think it's just good to be aware that this could happen.
    Then testing like you've done will help guide you from there.

I've not tested but I know I don't feel as satisfied or generally good eating pork. Or even chicken for that matter. But pork just leaves me feeling hungry too soon. Could be the reaction they are saying. Idk. I haven't actually tested.
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    Thanks @kpk54 for the detailed post.

Most of the carbs I cut out recently were basically sugar -- store-bought stirfry sauce, store-bought bbq sauce, that sort of thing. I make my own low-carb sauces now, but I could switch back to the sugary ones pretty easily. There's more calories in them as well of course.

I'll see about upping the fat a bit too. I haven't really increased it much at all since switching to low carb. I did try eating pork belly meat instead of pork chops, for the higher fat content. They were good but a little too much like bacon (which I don't actually like that much lol).

And yeah, I was losing weight at the higher carb level. It was when I stalled through the whole month of January that I joined MFP, started counting, and decided to cut back to < 20g net carbs. It seemed to work too, I got past the plateau and lost a bunch of weight in February.

Re. the plantar fasciitis, I have got a sheet of excercises to help with that, and I'm trying to incorporate them into my daily routine this week.

Admittedly, I was really stupid about it. I did not know what was wrong with my foot, only that it hurt in the morning when I first got up. I was walking over 4km every day before breakfast, and continued to do so despite the pain.

I wasn't worried as I knew that the pain would go away after the first km. Then after a month, it took 2km to get rid of the pain. Then a few more weeks and the pain was constant, all day long. Then I finally saw a doctor.

Stupid, but I sort of have that mindset of powering through pain, just walk it off, mind over matter.

Now I'll mull all this over and see where it gets me.

Thanks again everyone for the advice and input!
  • 2t9nty
    Options

I think it's just good to be aware that this could happen.
    Then testing like you've done will help guide you from there.

I've not tested but I know I don't feel as satisfied or generally good eating pork. Or even chicken for that matter. But pork just leaves me feeling hungry too soon. Could be the reaction they are saying. Idk. I haven't actually tested.

It means there is a new variable to be aware of. Things can be complicated and mysterious sometimes. I'll keep working on it.

• cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You eat A LOT of pork.

Hmmm.....I eat a lot of pork. In fact, this weekend's crockpot special which is what I made for lunches all week is pork. I do wonder if preparation in other ways affects this such as the fact that the pork shoulder I used was cooked with a half pound of bacon, plenty of salt, butter and olive oil for about 8 hours.

That is a VERY small sample size to call a study. It does raise an eyebrow, though.

I smell an n=1 experiment.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    You eat A LOT of pork.

Hmmm.....I eat a lot of pork. In fact, this weekend's crockpot special which is what I made for lunches all week is pork. I do wonder if preparation in other ways affects this such as the fact that the pork shoulder I used was cooked with a half pound of bacon, plenty of salt, butter and olive oil for about 8 hours.

That is a VERY small sample size to call a study. It does raise an eyebrow, though.

That would definitely be a delicious n=1 though... :smirk:
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    You eat A LOT of pork.

That would definitely be a delicious n=1 though... :smirk:

Also pretty easy given what I have prepared for this week which is heavy on pork. I can simply do the same with beef next week and then with pork marinated in ACV the next. Given I already track BG religiously, that is no extra work.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options

Stupid, but I sort of have that mindset of powering through pain, just walk it off, mind over matter.

Girl. I do this too. And now I have 3 old injuries I have to nurse as I run and I feel like an idiot.

Good decision getting it checked out and a diagnosis with a treatment plan!
  • 2t9nty
    Options

Also pretty easy given what I have prepared for this week which is heavy on pork. I can simply do the same with beef next week and then with pork marinated in ACV the next. Given I already track BG religiously, that is no extra work.

I am looking forward to your experience with it.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Well, I love all meats marinated, so pork loins will get a vinegar one now. I used dry rubs to marinate them before. Not sure if a 3 person sample is good science, but I think it would make the pork taste great. We do eat a lot of pork loin chops and bacon, & some salami that should be good given how that is processed.

Nice link thanks.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Re. the plantar fasciitis, I have got a sheet of excercises to help with that, and I'm trying to incorporate them into my daily routine this week.

@Steph_Maks There are also some insoles that help with plantar fascitis. My daughter used them and they worked pretty well for her. I think we actually got them at Walmart, but you could probably get at a Walgreens, or Rite Aid or such....
  • Violet_Flux
    Options
    swezeytba wrote: »
    @Steph_Maks There are also some insoles that help with plantar fascitis. My daughter used them and they worked pretty well for her. I think we actually got them at Walmart, but you could probably get at a Walgreens, or Rite Aid or such....

Thanks, I did find some at the local drug store, that seem to help a bit.

I've heard that custom ones are better but can be expensive. Going to look into that soon too, to see if it's feasable / affordable.