Cauliflower recipes feedback

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
OK, so I'm a pretty great cook. I'd say my skill level is "advanced", and I can certainly follow a recipe.

I had two beautiful fresh white cauliflowers, so Sunday I made two things.

A whole roasted cauliflower slathered in garlic and butter and parmesan - which took forever to cook and was a massive disappointment. Didn't taste like anything really, cauliflower was bland and didn't take on any of the flavours. And it was kinda brown - on the inside. Like it had been boiled in tea or something.

I also made those cheese cauliflower bread sticks everyone reckons are so great http://ifoodreal.com/cauliflower-breadsticks-recipe/ I mean, they look great in the picture. I followed the recipe exactly. It took ages to rice the cauliflower - and I have a machine. It was also messy. It took even longer to steam it (in 3 batches). I squeezed the *kitten* out of it in a linen tea towel. There was no moisture left. But the end result was like flat floppy cauliflower. Not much in the way of taste. Given the whole task took about 2 and a half hours I was very disappointed.

Final conclusion - I will not be making either of these again. Waste of $6 worth of cauliflower IMO. I'd rather use it for a faux potato salad or something.

Replies

• ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I hear ya on this one. I'm not a fan of cauliflower-based recipes either as every one I've ever tried turned out terrible and I'm a good cook too like you are!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have had success with cauliflower for pizza crust, however, I found skipping the steaming step works better. The squeezing part is tough. It is a full on workout to get it dry enough, and I am a bigger guy that has been working out regularly since I was 14 years old.

I agree the process is messy and may not be worth it.

I have now seen large bags of riced cauliflower raw that I thought I might try. It wasn't too expensive, so I was planning on using it on my next attempt.

As for the roasted cauliflower, that is somewhat similar but works better is just put the florets (smaller is better within reason) into a ziploc bag with just enough hot sauce (Buffalo sauce or Cholula are my go to sauces here) to coat them. I also usually add a little salt and garlic powder. Then bake that in the oven until they start to get a little crispy. This is still long because it can take 40-50 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees F. I was going to experiment with going longer at a lower temp to see if I could get them crispier since that is how I have had success with making zucchini chips and how most recipes say to make kale chips.

When you use the whole head like that recipe does, I don't think there is any way the flavor can penetrate well, so it is doomed from the start.
  • Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,406 Member
    Options
    The only thing I found that I like involving cauliflower is to stir-fry raw cauliflower finely diced up as a substitute for rice. Celeriac is a better sub for mash or anything potato.
  • kimberwolf71
    kimberwolf71 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    How disappointing! It is one thing when something quickly thrown together doesn't turn out... but after all that effort!? BOOOO. I was very disappointed in a "loaded cauliflower" type recipe and riced cauliflower was never an enjoyable replacement for rice in my palate BUT, I totally love cauliflower "mac & cheese"! I've been wondering about those cauliflower "breadsticks", so thanks for the heads up
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    How disappointing! It is one thing when something quickly thrown together doesn't turn out... but after all that effort!? BOOOO. I was very disappointed in a "loaded cauliflower" type recipe and riced cauliflower was never an enjoyable replacement for rice in my palate BUT, I totally love cauliflower "mac & cheese"! I've been wondering about those cauliflower "breadsticks", so thanks for the heads up

I have made this loaded cauliflower recipe multiple times for get togethers and it has gone over awesome. Many non-LCHF people have raved about how good it is.

ssdh4bjpfhur.png

edit to say I obviously did not heed the instructions regarding using anything that was "low fat" when I made this. Full fat all the way!!!!
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    As for the roasted califlower, I cut it into fairly thin slices and add garlic and cheese.

Also I use it for a basil cream. Cook the califlower. Throw in a mixer, add lots of basil, some garlic and herbs and salt to you liking
    Add some milk and olive oil if not fluid enough.
    Makes a great creamy sauce for e.g zuchini noodles. You can also freese it.

You can also add cooked ground beef to turn it into a full meal with the zuchini noodles.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

I have made this loaded cauliflower recipe multiple times for get togethers and it has gone over awesome. Many non-LCHF people have raved about how good it is.

ssdh4bjpfhur.png

edit to say I obviously did not heed the instructions regarding using anything that was "low fat" when I made this. Full fat all the way!!!!

Thank you thank you THANK YOU! I'm making this for Easter!!!
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    Honestly the only cauliflower recipe I like is Mac and cheese. I steam a frozen bag then mix on the stove with butter, cream cheese, seasonings, cheddar, and a splash of cream until the cheese is all melted.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I'm with Simakra, cut that head of cauliflower up before roasting, and finish it under a broiler. Getting it super brown with lots of crispy edge is where its at. Maybe crush an anchovy or two into your butter before you toss the cauliflower in it. Add some crushed red chile flakes and some kind of acid at the end as well.

I'm also a fan of picking up the pre-riced cauliflower from Costco rather than messing up my kitchen doing it myself. I like to make a fake-*kitten* mexican rice to have alongside of big plate of carnitas, or in pork fried rice with that Lao Gan Ma chile oil, or in a super sausage-ey jambalaya.
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    A whole roasted cauliflower slathered in garlic and butter and parmesan - which took forever to cook and was a massive disappointment. Didn't taste like anything really, cauliflower was bland and didn't take on any of the flavours. And it was kinda brown - on the inside. Like it had been boiled in tea or something.

I wonder if a whole cauliflower would do well in a crockpot. I may have to experiment. . .

• bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I make a whole roasted cauliflower coated with a mixture of Greek yogurt and curry powder. Yum! Tonight I roasted a whole cauliflower coated in walnut oil and Berbere seasoning. This is my new favorite spice blend!!
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    We don't get the pre-riced stuff here in Australia otherwise I'd buy a pallet of it.
  • gotblues66
    gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I made curry chicken in a slow cooker with chopped up cauliflower (kinda of as a rice substitute) and thought it was great. There was no real recipe that I followed, just improvised. That twice baked casserole though sounds awesome, pinned it!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    We steam a head's worth of florets, mix with the immersion blender with heavy cream, butter, salt and pepper and then put it back over flame until it's really hot. I think it's delicious!!
  • ms_smartypants
    ms_smartypants Posts: 8,278 Member
    Options
    The cauliflower tots are good ....cauliflower with pesto is good ....and smoked gouda with bacon mashed cauliflower is good all found on pinterest.com
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I like cauliflower broiled in small florets so they get a bit browned and crispy with olive oil and '40 cloves of garlic' sliced up spread out on parchment on a cookie sheet. Add lots of salt while hot. Don't need to steam or precook at all, just watch them under the broiler so they don't burn.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    The cauliflower tots are good ....cauliflower with pesto is good ....and smoked gouda with bacon mashed cauliflower is good all found on pinterest.com

C-C-C-C-C-Cauliflower tots? Did you say, 'cauliflower tots'? I'm going to the store.

Edit: NOOOOOOO! 10 net carbs per serving? Wheat, soy, corn, rice, sugar? *kitten* you, Green Giant, you've missed the point entirely!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @Just_Eric , try a homemade keto version of tater tots using cauliflower thus cauli-tots. I've not made them but they look tasty:

http://www.ruled.me/keto-tater-tots/#
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I make a roasted cauliflower and leek soup that is pretty good. You can google up a good recipe for that. I also make a version of the cauliflower pizza crust where I make flatbreads with different toppings. Love cauliflied rice, faux potato salad etc.