Multiple Sclerosis & Exercise

Options
ditditdee
ditditdee Posts: 38 Member
Hello all!

I have MS. My MS gets particularly aggravated when my body temperature rises, which obviously poses a conundrum when trying to exercise for weight loss and overall health - which is especially important to slow the MS progression. My feet go totally numb when I get too warm. Add that to my already existing balance issues from the MS, and if I get on an elliptical, treadmill, etc. - anything involving standing, really - and it's a recipe for a broken limb.

Here's my question: other than water exercise/swimming and stationary bikes, what cardio options do I have that won't leave me on crutches?

Note: I live in Tennessee, so extended outdoor exercise in the summer is out. I have a prescribed cooling vest, and it's better than nothing, but I still get the numb feet issue, though to a lesser degree. I've talked to my Dr., and he's given me no restrictions, just FYI.

Replies

• megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I would check with a PT or certified trainer and see what they recommend. Swimming provides a great cardio workout. I have a stationary bike that has several different HIIT programs on it that I love (and it definitely kicks my butt!!) and I personally love water aerobics because it can give a good cardio workout and doesn't tax my joints like others. Good luck!!
  • ditditdee
    Options
    at the moment, I'm liking the stationary bike pretty well, but I'm sure I'll eventually get bored with it. My local place offers water aerobics, but they're not at the best times for me except on Saturdays. Thanks!
  • bringbackthejoy
    bringbackthejoy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Try a rowing machine?
  • yazheirx
    yazheirx Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    There is always walking for long distances. Though I would assume it would have to be on a nice day.
  • gbrcairns
    gbrcairns Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I am a Kinesiologist and certified exercise physiologist, without doing a complete assessment I can't give you specifics, but I can give you a few ideas. I would recommend finding a Kinesiologist in your area.
    Unfortunately trouble with thermoregulation is normal with MS, so exercising in a climate controlled area like an indoor facility or walking track or even walking in a mall would be best. We have several mall walker groups in Canada for when it is too cold outside
    I would recommend Nordic poling as it allows you to increase your overall work without increasing effort as it uses all the large muscle groups. It also offers stability to prevent falls and help with balance. You can look at Urban Poling they may have instructors in your area.
    Some other equipment that may be helpful are recumbent bikes, arm ergometers, rowing machines.
    I would also suggest working at lower intensities and breaking up your workout over the day, so instead of doing one 1hr session do 2 30min sessions. The health benefits are even higher when doing this and would help with over heating.

I hope this helps a little and I would recommend meeting with a Kinesiologist as they can do a complete assessment and design an individualized plan for you.
  • gbrcairns
    gbrcairns Posts: 2 Member
    Options
  • ditditdee
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas everyone! @gbrcairns I do have some personal trainer sessions scheduled beginning next week. Thanks again!