Blog Your Ride

Options

Replies

• Here4Ponies
    Here4Ponies Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Back after a nasty month of work and getting caught up. @showjumper do you have a new horse? @tmcoyle that buckskin baby is gorgeous!

Work has had me too busy to ride much lately, even had a full week of absolutely no barn time. It's rare for me to go more than a day without at least petting some noses. I'm a bit of a chicken when it comes to riding my OTTB dressage prospect after time off so I'm working up to him. In the meantime, I've been making my SO's Western trail horse play dressage pony. Much to everyone's surprise, the old boy has a very nice leg yield and shoulder in. I left my trainer a bit speechless in the last lesson with everything he could do. We're working on compressing his frame in the canter (sorry, lope) so he moves in a correct footfall instead of laterally.
  • jcraig10
    jcraig10 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever had trouble with stirrup bars on an english saddle? Mine is a Collegiate AP and the stirrup bars are so tight against the saddle it is very very difficult to take my leathers on and off. It is also difficult to adjust my stirrups when in the saddle. This is when it is both on and off of a horse. My leathers are HDR with the nylon backs.

Safety hazard for sure :-\
  • showjumper
    showjumper Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    @Here4Cookies I have 2 new horses :smirk: I have the one in the picture, and we bought the 6 yo, too.
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Things are winding down here in Aiken. My trainer left last week with 10 horses so now I only have my 2 to take care of and can feel the fitness leaving my body already! I head home on monday and am determined to continue being fit, even if I have to go to the gym to replicate all of the work I do when in Aiken. I don't think I lost much weight here, but I felt so solid and fit schooling cross country yesterday that all the jumps seemed small! Don't want to lose that feeling!
  • showjumper
    Options
    @crimsongrey I missed your updates! Any videos?
  • crimsongrey
    crimsongrey Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, very few videos or pics. I mostly post on FB. If you'd like to friend me, look for Paree Day :)
  • showjumper
    Options
    @crimsongrey no FB... neurotic ex wife who figures my SO is one day coming back to her after 8 years... lol
    Instagram?
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Instagram is the way to go :-)
    Have a dressage show this weekend...going to take a new horse that my trainer brought home from Aiken. Haven't ridden him much so going to do an Intro test for now. Trainer is going to do a jump round on him. Excited - I think I like him! Will see how he behaves off farm before I decide though ;)

@showjumper congrats on the new horses!
  • showjumper
    Options
    @jcraig10 love instagram... (@showjumper1758)

Good luck for the weekend! I think its hard not to like most horses :)
  • showjumper
    Options
    @jcraig10 How did your tests go?
  • jcraig10
    Options
    Great! And he was so super chill off farm. Didn't bat an eye at a single thing. And my trainer jumped him around a couple of courses - fantastic horse for my confidence-lacking self.
  • showjumper
    Options
    Did a clinic this weekend..... went well considering I haven't really done anything in the last month over fences with this guy..... :) I even hit the dirt, off both horses, so I am not moving very fast yet.....

nm695dkmrm11.jpg
    92wrz60qew5b.jpg
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    Did two things last night I haven't done in awhile. 1) Cantered the OTTB, and 2) Jumped the Western pony.

Haven't cantered Havi in almost a year because his NO! attitude was too strong and his way of enforcing it too athletic for me to sit. He's finally cooperating (he might even like me now :smile: ) so I asked for canter last night. He did buck but it wasn't with a lot of enthusiasm and he let me correct him. I had forgotten how lovely and balanced his canter is. No effort to sit. Last night also reinforced how wonderful it is to have a voice activated horse.

I taught PJ to jump several years ago but once he knew he was supposed to go OVER the poles and not THROUGH them, I stopped. Last night there was a low cross rail set up at X and I didn't feel like taking it down so, in practicing the Western Dressage test I'm riding on Saturday, we simply jumped it. He's such a good sport.
  • Shron123
    Shron123 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Have been trying to ride Thor around our acreage but he has been difficult with head tossing, some minor bucking and (what I hate the most -JIIGGING
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    Have been trying to ride Thor around our acreage but he has been difficult with head tossing, some minor bucking and (what I hate the most -JIIGGING

Ugh! Nothing like a jig to turn a trail ride into a test of patience. Is this normal spring time behavior?
  • Shron123
    Options
    Thor is getting better. Definitely spring time behaviour but seemed worse this year so had teeth floated, saddle fit checked, masseuse came out plus trying the DORN method - first appt was today - lots of head tossing then yawning with licking and chewing. So something going on but will wait before I make a judgement on effectiveness. My dieting has been up and down. So much stuff going on here w a lot of stress. "Good" for a few days then I trip. Spent the last couple of stressful days w my mom and pretty much ate everything in site. Back on track today. Just heading out for some Thor time then having a lite lunch. Back w my mom in a couple of days so please send strength. Her sister passed away and I know my instinct will be to inhale calories. I have a hard time sticking to moderate eating but at least now if I stumble I come round to healthy eating pretty fast. Before it might be weeks or months before I got a handle on it again. Anyway to anyone reading wish me luck
  • Here4Ponies
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about your aunt passing @SharonAnderegg . Emotional/stress eating is so hard to end. Sending positive thoughts your way!
  • showjumper
    Options
    @SharonAnderegg strength to your mum and condolences for you loss.

Knowing you fall down but trying to get back up is more then half the battle. Keep going forward. :)
  • Shron123
    Options
    Thanks for your support. My boys are coming home today for a Mothers Day Dinner ❤️❤️❤️❤️. Tomorrow back to my moms for the funeral and family stuff. Home Monday night. Next week the weather is supposed to be better - sun might even be a part of it!!!!! Already have my trainer booked for some lessons Wed. Tues and Fri morning have my own training session. Love this trainer but have not been consistent with her. Made a huge mistake and took the winter off but a friend has decided to join me for both classes which makes it easier. Signed up for a new yoga class starting in June. Trying hard to stay on the food plan. All of this will make me a better rider and partner for Thor. May 28 we r doing a 20 mile ride and June 17 a 30 miler. Hubby wants to be ready for the 50 in October. Quite the goal but making steps towards it. Carrying less weight will make it easier for both Thor and myself.
  • Shron123
    Options
    Had an AMAZING ride yesterday. We were out for over two hours. Did some stuff in the paddock first, leg yields, transitions, etc then hubby and I went out for about an hour. Thor was amazing. Came back and Tom decided to pony our third horse, Shiloh, which he had never done before. This is Thors main buddy so he was very interested in her and where she was at all times but still listened. Tom then decided saddle Shiloh up and take her for a ride. Things got interesting as he trotted off at speed and Thor started to take off as well. I made him walk as Shiloh got smaller and smaller in the distance. He was not happy but he listened and walked even with the bugs. We finally caught up (at my choice of pace) and had a great ride together. Love that horse.