Might have to cancle my Gastric Sleeve surgery

Options
Scochrane86
Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
I had my first gastric sleeve appointment last July. I have since been going for monthly appointments to prepare for upcoming weight loss surgery. In December I was given a weight loss goal (everyone going for surgery needs to lose at least 10% of their current weight) and I thought there was no way in hell I would ever make that number because I had already lost 50lbs and the scale had not moved in several months, regardless of how hard I tried.
A few weeks after my appointment I found keto (Jan 9, 2017) and since then I have met, and well surpassed the goal that was set for me!
I have my next meeting with the surgeon next Tuesday and I am interested to see what he says! My surgery would not be until Sept/Oct (its a very long wait...) and if I continue on this path I am going to be at my ultimate goal WAY before a surgery date!
Could you imagine... going from needing weightloss surgery to hitting my goal way ahead of schedule ON MY OWN?!
OMG I love keto!!!

There wasn't much point to this post other than how excited I am.

Stats: Started 275lbs
Started weightloss surgery appointments at 225lbs (given a 22lbs loss goal to meet surgery requirements)
Started Keto - 222lbs (Jan 9th, 2017)
Today (9 weeks keto) - 193.5lbs
Ultimate goal - 140lbs (53.5lbs to go! - total weightloss would be 135lbs!)

Replies

• Lois_1989
    Lois_1989 Posts: 6,410 Member
    Options
    This is great news! You are lighter than me already! I wouldn't bother with the surgery if I were you, just keep going! Congratulations!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    The Little Engine That Could. Kudos! Shout it out!
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    AWESOME!!! You totally can do this on your own!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I had my first gastric sleeve appointment last July. I have since been going for monthly appointments to prepare for upcoming weight loss surgery. In December I was given a weight loss goal (everyone going for surgery needs to lose at least 10% of their current weight) and I thought there was no way in hell I would ever make that number because I had already lost 50lbs and the scale had not moved in several months, regardless of how hard I tried.
    A few weeks after my appointment I found keto (Jan 9, 2017) and since then I have met, and well surpassed the goal that was set for me!
    I have my next meeting with the surgeon next Tuesday and I am interested to see what he says! My surgery would not be until Sept/Oct (its a very long wait...) and if I continue on this path I am going to be at my ultimate goal WAY before a surgery date!
    Could you imagine... going from needing weightloss surgery to hitting my goal way ahead of schedule ON MY OWN?!
    OMG I love keto!!!

There wasn't much point to this post other than how excited I am.

Stats: Started 275lbs
    Started weightloss surgery appointments at 225lbs (given a 22lbs loss goal to meet surgery requirements)
    Started Keto - 222lbs (Jan 9th, 2017)
    Today (9 weeks keto) - 193.5lbs
    Ultimate goal - 140lbs (53.5lbs to go! - total weightloss would be 135lbs!)

<3<3<3 I love reading these kind of results. Your weight might slow down as you get closer to goal, but not having surgery is a fantastic thing. You have learned what works for your body, just continue onwards and be PROUD, VERY PROUD.

I have had friends who went the surgery route, only one has lost and kept it off within 10 lbs. Another stays within 25 lbs. (guy, so he is happy with that) but he had to have the procedure twice due to complications. Another friend had the surgery, continued her old lifestyle, a few years later she moved back home to after her husband died. Eating her traditional foods and being around her loving family, she lost her weight without even trying, eating the traditional Dominican Republic style foods, took a couple of years, but it came off and she was over 500 lbs. when she started her journey with surgery.

So it can be done with out the surgery and you can keep the weight down easier because you learn how to eat for your body. Since just going into the hospital these days puts you at risk of C.diff and MRSA infections, why risk that?

All the best on the rest of your weight loss Journey.
  • pacific904
    pacific904 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Don't have the surgery. A friend of mine was fun to be with, always jolly although very overweight. Since the surgery she has changed so much, getting slimmer but utterly miserable. She acknowledges this herself. She says it makes her miserable to eat only the equivalent of a tea cup at meals. Eating was a joy for her.

Also not worth the risk.
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    Options

keep it up!
  • MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy for you!! Now that you have found a WOE that can give you the weight loss you are seeking, you have choices available to you. Whether you decide to still have the surgery, or simply stick with the lifestyle/WOE change, you can make the decision with confidence. Way to go!!
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's fantastic! Good for you! And I'm sure you've done your research and will make the best decision for you. <3
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Good job!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    This is awesome! Congrats!
  • nanapuddin1
    nanapuddin1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    @Scochrane86, Congratulations!! Yes it takes more effort, commitment, dedication, ups and downs, but in the end it was and is YOU who made the change. Avoiding surgery is the way to go. You'll also find this WOE is anti-inflammatory by nature and you will start seeing/feeling those benefits soon (if you haven't already). Just remember to keep your electrolytes balanced to keep you feeling at your best. Again, Congratulations and Keto On!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    Great job. It is nice to have options in life.