My weight loss saga - Jim

jvcinv
jvcinv Posts: 504 Member
Okay hello, I put up a looong introduction post in the newbie section last week.
Thought I start my own thread because I like the idea of documenting my progress, mainly for my own benefit but also for others who might be looking in.

I'm not new to OMAD, I've been doing fasting then OMAD since early October last year. Without a roadmap I've kind of been just trying what feels right and making adjustments as needed.
I must say reading all the posts on this forum has really been cool. I've been nodding my head so many time thinking yep that same thing has happened to me.
The bottom line for me is that what I'm doing is really working.

I weigh every day, I prefer it because I like the data. But Sunday is my weekly summary day, so here is my summary for last week.

Current Weight 250
Weekly Change -3
Total Amount Lost 102
Amt Remaining to Reach Goal 70

Here is a graph of my weight loss to date. What strikes me is how consistent it has been.
I started with a 2 week fast back in Oct last year, then I did a 4 day fast in Jan 17 which you can see because the fasts have a specific shape. Recovering from these fasts by 2-3 pounds was the only time I've had a weight gain.

b0g2fzwlrjg2.png

I'll post other details if there is any interest. I think I'll do another post when I have a chance just covering what I've been eating during this time. In the meantime I'll keep enjoying reading and being inspired and informed by the comments from others.
Have a great day
Jim

by the way, the straight line at the beginning of the graph is because I wasn't weighing in every day at that point.
So there was a gap in recorded weight from August to October. During that period I was not doing OMAD, just working on controlling calories IN and cutting sugar, etc.

Replies

• Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    I water fast every Friday but I dont think I could ever do a two week fast, Wow thats impressive!!!

Welcome to the OMAD Club :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Very impressive! Way to go. Your rate loss with OMAD is greater than when you were simply counting calories it looks like.
  • jvcinv
    thanks Brenda, you might be surprised what your body can do. If you're doing OMAD and a water fast on Friday, I would think that you could easily tack on several more days, or even a week.

thanks Bob and you're right, the OMAD way is not only a much greater rate of loss, but it's WAY more sustainable. I had lost about 15-20 pounds eating tiny meals three times a day, but I could tell it wasn't sustainable. I was never full and not getting enough nutrients. I was hitting that wall that I hit so many times before. This time though I didn't just give up and decided to take another approach with fasting and I'm so happy I did.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    yay another thread to read! I started OCT as well. Your progress is consistent!! It's really good. Thanks for starting your own thread... it helps us learn more :)

Do you feel lightheaded during 2 week fasts? I don't know if I could ever manage fasting for that long!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    Amazing consistency!!! Looks like you have this all sorted out, and I'll enjoy reading your status updates.
  • Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    Hi and welcome! I'm interested to hear your experiences with the longer fasts too.
  • jvcinv
    leveejohn wrote: »
    Amazing consistency!!! Looks like you have this all sorted out, and I'll enjoy reading your status updates.
    haha! Well I'm not making that claim by any stretch.
    But what I will say is that I am pleased beyond words with the progress I've made so far.

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    Thanks for the great motivation. Since I am still new to this, I love to see the consistent progress over time!! Great job!
  • jvcinv
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    yay another thread to read! I started OCT as well. Your progress is consistent!! It's really good. Thanks for starting your own thread... it helps us learn more :)

Do you feel lightheaded during 2 week fasts? I don't know if I could ever manage fasting for that long!
    thank you!
    Yes there were times when I felt light headed during the 2 week fast. For example there are two flights of stairs at my office that I have to go up and down several times a day. When I was fasting if I took them too quickly I would have a momentary dizzy feeling. Also if I bent down low to the ground then stood up very quickly. I did find that I had to take it real easy in order to not overdo it as it seemed that I didn't have a lot of reserve power.
    However I think my body now is a much better fat burner than it was back then, so next time might be different.
    I'm going to do a one week fast in April and think I'll record here the daily results/feelings.

• jvcinv
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    Hi and welcome! I'm interested to hear your experiences with the longer fasts too.
    Thank you! It's good to have a place to share this experience. I do talk to people at work about it but they look at me with a facial expression which implies "you're doing what??!!"

• 1MADGIRL
    jvcinv wrote: »
    I'm going to do a one week fast in April and think I'll record here the daily results/feelings.

Yes please :)

• Mom2annie
    Mom2annie Posts: 177 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »
    Mom2annie wrote: »
    Thank you! It's good to have a place to share this experience. I do talk to people at work about it but they look at me with a facial expression which implies "you're doing what??!!"

I get that a lot with just eating OMAD. My family would probably stage an intervention if I told them I wasn't eating at all for 2 weeks.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    Nope don't think I could ever do a week but I am doing two water fasts this week :p
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    I'm also imspired by your progress!! Keep it up!
  • jvcinv
    weekly update:
    Current Weight 248
    Weekly Change -2
    Total Amount Lost 104
    Amt Remaining to Reach Goal 68

Went on my first business trip this week since if been doing IF/OMAD.
    Went to Mexico where I love the food, I was a little apprehensive about how it would work out being away from my home routine. Well as it turned out it was misplaced apprehension.
    Eating out at a restaurant now, I have a whole different approach than I did in my past life.
    My eating habits are so fully ingrained now that the first thing I do is open the menu and look for the vegetables. then a salad or meat entree, along with tea or mineral water, and I'm good to go.
    I was able to enjoy some of the great tasting spicy foods in Mexico, while not going overboard and still remained on my weight loss track for the week.
    One other thing I noticed is that I have a much more acute sense of fullness now. During my final meal in Mexico I was working on a very large tuna salad, after eating chips and salsa and a bowl of spicy shrimp soup with a few pieces of bread, when all of a sudden I realized that I was full after only getting half way through the salad. In the past I would have kept stuffing myself until it was gone. But now I just took a couple more bites and then called it a day.
    So what I realized is that being away from home I can still remain in full control of the content and amount of my meals with ease.
    I did notice that during the day, while I was in a fasted state, I felt some additional stress which I believe came from the stress of the chaotic travel schedule, numerous meetings with customers, etc., while fasting at the same time.
    I think it might be wise next time to take it a little easy while on a trip, perhaps move the meal to the morning? I'm not sure.
  • jvcinv
    Picture documentation - Before
    4i90f3vp0bw4.png
    B1.png 429.4K
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Wow!!
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    @jvcinv AMAZING RESULTS!!! Wow! You must be so proud of yourself. You look fantastic. Keep it up and you will get to your goal! Happy Monday!!
  • 1MADGIRL
    BIG DIFFERENCE!!! How do you feel?