Tips and Tricks

Options

Replies

• anna4anna
    anna4anna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    yeah, I'm a PCOS sister. Today was weigh in and sure enough, all I lost was 0.5 lbs this week. Despite knowing slow downs comes, it's still highly frustrating and a little frightening - last time I had a slow down back in 2012 when I lost a large amount of weight, it stopped coming off period and then inched back on. I'm really not wanting that to happen again!

I've found certain things work for me if I'm in a stall/plateau. I stalled for a couple weeks after about 40lbs lost then did a week intermittent fasting 16:8, and broke through. There have been other things I've read that worked for people such as incorporating refeed days, cheat meals, recalculating macros, etc.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    Options
    I recalcuated the macros today, and dropped my calorie deficiency by another 100 calories down to 1600. The absolute lowest I've seen from multiple calculators for someone my weight (339 lbs) was 1650 to lose 2 lbs a week, so I'm not going crazy with it. At my starting weight, all the calculators said to eat between 1800 and 2000 calories, but I found I had to drop that to 1700 to see the decent 2 to 3 lbs loss per week.

I also changed my carb/protein/fats ratios. I was going for 40/30/30, but found I just couldn't get enough protein in to meet my daily goal - the protein sources were so calorie dense, and if I switch to trying to get it in with meat, then I wasn't getting enough fruits and veggies in. So I'm going for 40/25/35 now; we'll see if that makes a difference.

• gazellefish
    gazellefish Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    1000% agree - Started in January, was doing great, slowed down in March. Lost .5 lbs one week, lost 0 lbs the next week, then lost 1lb this week, but when I do the math I've overall lost 1.5lb a week since January, which is perfect! (I'm also a Polycyster, so I know them feels!)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Well I signed up for dietbet today, to kick up my motivation. I signed up for both a 1 month kickstart and the 6 month transformation. The kickstart is the tough one, it requires losing 1% a week for 4 wks. PM me if you are thinking about it, I have a few suggestions to help win your bet (all within rules)
  • theowlbox
    theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    One thing that helps me is to focus on intensely flavored things: pickles, peppers, hot sauce, tangy olives, cinnamon, capers, lemons, hibiscus tea, vinegar, fig vinegar, onions, garlic, etc. I use these intensely flavored foods with more bland veggies and voila! high volume, high flavor foods. Meat and cheese sandwich= meh. Meat, cheese, lettuce, pickles, spinach, tomatoes, jalapeno = high volume and delicious. Same with eggs in the am: stirfry onions, kale, garlic and mix in eggs and the flavor tales the edge off of kale (for me) and the volume has gone up.
    Another thing (that some people might find sad) is that I treat tea like a rx. In the am I have lemon ginger with breakfast to promote good digestion, I have a mid morning hibiscus one because I don't drink wine and think the polyphenols are good for me, mid pm I have black tea with sugar and milk for a boost and I have peppermint tea at night to promote my sleepytime ritual of relaxation. Even if the science is bunk on the usefulness of the teas: increasing hydration, promoting a slowing down at the end of a meal, and drinking warm liquids to promote a full belly satisfaction feeling are all things that might help someone. So it's what I do.
  • jameyer73
    jameyer73 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Theo, I am thinking about joining the same two Diet Bets, will let you know if I do. we'll crush it together!
  • LizJru
    LizJru Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I also want to join Diet Bet, but I'm just not losing enough yet. 3lbs a week would be too hard to commit to. Good luck @Theo166 and @jameyer73 let us know how it goes!!
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    What is diet bet? I'm on a path of a loss is a win so if it's 2 pounds, great, if it is .2 of a pound (how my scale measures), great. I don't want to pressure myself to have bad feelings about not losing 'enough'. I don't where I posted this but I had made a sheet of my current weight and on each line it is listed lower by .2 so it is a long sheet, but I will weigh weekly and physically cross out the numbers that I will never see again. I will be excited to make 10 cross outs (2 pounds) or just 1 (.2 of a pound). I'm a list person and the act of pen to paper to mark it off will feel great (I think, I just started last Monday so I haven't done it yet). I keep the print out in my bathroom by my scale so I see it every morning getting ready and night going to sleep.
  • Theo166
    Options
    I wouldn't suggest dietbet until you were in a solid rhythm and averaging close to 1% weekly of your weight.

So far it's going fine for me, I also did my initial weigh-in at end of the day after drinking all my water. I'll do my final weigh in first thing in the morning, when I'm my lightest.
  • Jirachii
    Jirachii Posts: 152 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Since you asked, dietbet is a "game" where you can gamble your money on weight loss. You have to provide decent proof to keep cheaters out. But yeah basically you can put down $30, and if you lose 4% of your total body weight in a certain amount of time, you make that money back and then some.

It adds a good incentive to the loss. I would do it if I had money to put down :) Seeing how you're not wanting to be rushed, it's not for you.
  • omgstfualready
    omgstfualready Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Nice, thanks, I'm not going to do that then. Good for you! Good luck!
  • theowlbox
    Options
    Also, I eat out a lot, so I'm getting better at making good choices. Also, I find that preplanning helps. If I'm going to a movie, now I plan what I'll eat and smuggle it in or know the calories on Swedish fish aren't too terrible. Also, when out I try to get the dressing and anything I might need to measure on the side (recently it was blue cheese). Then you can measure (in general) how much you are using so you can more accurately log. Who can guess when it's scattered everywhere? Or eating chips from a bag? Take the serving size then you know. If you go back, take half. Then it's still an easy logging task.
  • Theo166
    Options
    Two more links worth sharing

Documentary: FRONTLINE on supplements and their safety

Article on motivation, about becoming a little better today than you were yesterday
    http://www.coreyhiben.com/2017/01/04/motivation-vs-dedication/
  • Amberetta82
    Amberetta82 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I read in a book ( Brain-Powered Weight Loss) that you shouldn't ever tell yourself that you CAN'T have something. You should always say that you DON'T WANT whatever it is that might be a trigger food.
  • theowlbox
    Options
    I'm getting back to the pool (I was formerly a daily swimmer for more than a year) and I'm using music to help motivate me to go, to increase intensity, and to decrease intensity. I have a playlist for the active part of my trip (the drive there and laps) then another for the cool down shower, trip to sauna and final rinse/dressing. Treating myself with new music makes it exciting and pleasurable. Also, my vanity is helping out because I remind myself that my post swim trip to the sauna, total moisturizing, face mask and hair mask are necessary 3x a week to keep up my personal awesomeness. It's silly, but it gets me in the pool.
  • Theo166
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Good video discussing whether or not you should eat back your exercise calories on MFP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=67USKg3w_E4
  • sparklesammy
    sparklesammy Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    rqrnyz2nwe8p.jpg

If you happen to get Chocolate eggs tomorrow, I have a tip for not over indulging. Break it up into individual 25g portions and put in little Tubs. It'll stop you (me!) eating the whole thing at once then regretting it later!
  • kimbermak
    kimbermak Posts: 148 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

If you happen to get Chocolate eggs tomorrow, I have a tip for not over indulging. Break it up into individual 25g portions and put in little Tubs. It'll stop you (me!) eating the whole thing at once then regretting it later!

Great Idea! Chocolate isn't my problem, but I do the same thing with potato chips - gotta have my Cape Cod Kettle Chips now and then. I put 1oz portions into tubs and when I feel the need, I grab one and avoid eating 1/2 of the bag.
  • Theo166
    Options
    kimbermak wrote: »

Great Idea! Chocolate isn't my problem, but I do the same thing with potato chips - gotta have my Cape Cod Kettle Chips now and then. I put 1oz portions into tubs and when I feel the need, I grab one and avoid eating 1/2 of the bag.

I'll eat a family sized bag of chips in an afternoon, so I had to stop buying them. Maybe when I'm on maintenance I'll try the 1oz portion trick but for now I just have to completely avoid that temptation.