Random Workout Tales, Lessons, & Woes

Replies

• Vanguard1
    Vanguard1 Posts: 372 Member
    edited March 2017
    KetoKaHee wrote: »
    Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week. I weight train because I like it and it makes me feel strong. I don't necessarily do it because I think it is going to help me lose weight.

I enjoy weight training for the same reasons, I just makes me feel strong. I am reading up on HIIT training as well for my Personal Trainer recertification will probably start a full body training routine in a couple of weeks. I traditionally do a Strong Lifts (ish) routine (Still pretty light, coming of a biceps tendon tear) with a few compound barbell exercises. How is your energy reserve doing HIIT while OMAD?
  • KetoKaHee
    KetoKaHee Posts: 270 Member
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week. I weight train because I like it and it makes me feel strong. I don't necessarily do it because I think it is going to help me lose weight.

I enjoy weight training for the same reasons, I just makes me feel strong. I am reading up on HIIT training as well for my Personal Trainer recertification will probably start a full body training routine in a couple of weeks. I traditionally do a Strong Lifts (ish) routine (Still pretty light, coming of a biceps tendon tear) with a few compound barbell exercises. How is your energy reserve doing HIIT while OMAD?

HIIT training is great but it is something you can't do everyday because it is too stressful on the system. We all have to watch our cortisol levels. Doing it twice a week is all I ever do. As for my energy reserves I have definitely pulled back a lot while starting OMAD. Mainly because I want to get used to eating this way before I add additional stress. Secondly, I have been a little fearful if I workout too intensely I will be starving throughout the day. I am doing my best to balance everything. It is not a race so I am taking my time.

You are getting your PT recertification? That is amazing!!!! I recently got out of the health and fitness industry after spending 8 years in it but that doesn't mean I have stopped learning.
  • Vanguard1
    You are getting your PT recertification? That is amazing!!!! I recently got out of the health and fitness industry after spending 8 years in it but that doesn't mean I have stopped learning.

Yes, I got certified as a Personal Trainer through the American Council on Exercise in 2015, after I retired from the Army. I haven't done much with it, it was more of a personal goal, and education process for me. I am recertifying now, just to keep my credentials active, and maybe put it to use in the future.
  • KetoKaHee
    That's amazing!! I think the last time I did an 8 mile run I was in 6th grade. Bravo!!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited March 2017
    I just started walking/dancing in my house this week...I haven't done anything since start date and now that I have only 18 LBs to go Im hoping by adding in the exercise the Lbs will come off faster :)
  • KetoKaHee
    I just started walking/dancing in my house this week...I haven't done anything since start date and now that I have only 18 LBs to go Im hoping by adding in the exercise the Lbs will come off faster :)

Maybe try a Zumba class! Only 18 more pounds....thats incredible!
  • leveejohn
    leveejohn Posts: 346 Member
    I have been a little fearful if I workout too intensely I will be starving throughout the day. I am doing my best to balance everything. It is not a race so I am taking my time.

I get on the elliptical for 30 min a day, and I find if I allow my heart rate drift above the cardio zone (139 for my age), I tend to get really, really hungry. If I keep it between 114-139, no problem.
  • KetoKaHee
    edited March 2017

That's awesome! Sounds like you have it dialed in. Can't wait until I figure out my own intensity level that works for me!
  • leveejohn
    Here is today's . . . . whoops, looks like I slipped too high for one minute. That explains that second piece of french bread at dinner tonight. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it . . .

6ghhrl5vo4v3.jpg
  • KetoKaHee
    Ahhhh!! Look you did your first interval! Ha!! Great Job!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited March 2017
    I am now down to a consistent 8-min mile run. Feels good!

Nice! I need to lose a bit more to be able to do that. Did jog for 35-min this morning but slow.
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    leveejohn wrote: »
    Here is today's . . . . whoops, looks like I slipped too high for one minute. That explains that second piece of french bread at dinner tonight. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it . . .

6ghhrl5vo4v3.jpg

John, may I ask you what you use to get your heart rate measurements whilst you work out? Did you buy something? Like a heart rate watch?
  • 1MADGIRL
    1MADGIRL Posts: 838 Member
    I have been a Personal Trainer for the past 8 years and a natural fitness competitor. I recently got out of the industry because I could no longer preach the 6 meals a day, low fat diet and having clients do hours of cardio. Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week. I weight train because I like it and it makes me feel strong. I don't necessarily do it because I think it is going to help me lose weight.

You're a real asset to the group! I might pester you with a few questions if you don't mind!
  • leveejohn
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    John, may I ask you what you use to get your heart rate measurements whilst you work out? Did you buy something? Like a heart rate watch?
    This is from a Fitbit Charge HR, syncs with iPhone, screenshots are from the app.
  • KetoKaHee
    1MADGIRL wrote: »
    I have been a Personal Trainer for the past 8 years and a natural fitness competitor. I recently got out of the industry because I could no longer preach the 6 meals a day, low fat diet and having clients do hours of cardio. Now I believe I have found success with a ketogenic diet, OMAD and doing short (30 min) full-body weight training sessions 2-3 times a week. I weight train because I like it and it makes me feel strong. I don't necessarily do it because I think it is going to help me lose weight.

You're a real asset to the group! I might pester you with a few questions if you don't mind!

Of course ask away anytime!!
  • Vanguard1
    Great run at lunch!! I am saving my daily workout for tonight, with my daughter so I decided to get some cardio in (which I haven't done in about a year). 400m warm up, followed by 4x400m repeats with 400m recovery in between, 400m cool down. It went much better than I expected, I was more worried about my lack of cardio than an empty stomach, but it worked out on both counts...I feel great!
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    edited March 2017
    Treadmill workout...Walked 2 miles in 35 minutes and burned 262 calories :)g4blwfdu9pje.jpg
  • blambo61
    Vanguard1 wrote: »
    Great run at lunch!! I am saving my daily workout for tonight, with my daughter so I decided to get some cardio in (which I haven't done in about a year). 400m warm up, followed by 4x400m repeats with 400m recovery in between, 400m cool down. It went much better than I expected, I was more worried about my lack of cardio than an empty stomach, but it worked out on both counts...I feel great!

How fast you able to do your 400s in? Just curious. Did you feel warmed up enough?
  • blambo61
    Did a run after work:

1600m warmup (9:28)
    5x 50m strides with walk between (part of warmup)
    3200m of 100m hard with 300m recover jog (very slow recover jog)
    1-mile cool down (close to 10-min)

total running time was 45-min
    Walked 15-min after (working on getting up to 1-hr run with no walk)

Fastest 100m was at 4:38-min/mile pace.

Did some dead-lifts, leg presses, and calf raises after.