Over on fat for the day, question

Options
aprilsun66
aprilsun66 Posts: 13 Member
I accidentally went over my fat macro for the day. Should be 108, I'm already at about 130, and have not had dinner yet. Should I be concerned about weight loss with the excess fat intake?
That being said, I am usually at about 70 per day. Extreme fatigue has been a problem for me since I began this WOE 5 weeks ago. I've been taking additional electrolytes with some improvement. But it seems that all of the sudden I have more energy than I have had in a while. Could this be from the extra fat intake?
Thank you,
Judi

Replies

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the energy, but I wouldn't be concerned about going over on fat. Carbs is the main thing to stay lower on. I've heard people on here say carbs is a max amount, protein is a minimum and fill in the rest with fats.
  • swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    That being said I'm not sure how much harm it's going to do you if it's just one day. If you are able to keep your macros tight most of the time with a day over here or there I think it will average out for you....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    You are going to have hungry and not so hungry days. It is not linear. With this WOE, more people will have a problem undereating than overeating from what I have seen. I think that is from years (or decades) of having the "watch your calories" mentality beat into our heads.

If you don't go over carbs and you get your minimum of protein and not way over that protein, you should be able to eat fat to satiety. The only way to really overeat fat this way is to eat when you are not truly hungry - i.e. habit, boredom, emotional eating, etc.

The exception is if you have become leptin resistant. Leptin is the hormone that tells you that you are full. Chronic overeaters (like me) can become leptin resistant much like one can become insulin resistant. The longer I have eaten this way, the better I have become at really knowing when I am hungry. I'm not a doctor, and I have never had my leptin tested. However, based on how I felt before and how I feel now, it seems like I may have been leptin resistant and become more leptin sensitive as I continued down this path.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Carbs are a limit (ie under 20g) Protein is a target (try and hit this closely) and fat is the rest, up to your calorie limit. The fat component of your diet is made up from what you eat, and the fat on your body. If you eat less fat you'll utilize more body fat, but the downside is if you don't eat enough fat you'll be lethargic and hungry. If you eat too much fat you'll go over your calories and not lose weight. Keto is great for reduced hunger and a whole bunch of other things but it is not magic, if you eat too many calories you won't lose weight.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. Fat can vary a lot day to day. I would have some days at 1200 kcal when I didn't hit my fat, and others at 2000kcal when I smashed through my fat goal by a fair bit. As long as it averaged out to a deficit, I was losing.

As to your increased energy, it could be that you've had enough calories, enough electrolytes, or you could be becoming fat adapted (body 's primary preferred fuel is now fat).

Let us know if it continues even on less hungry days. :)
  • aprilsun66
    aprilsun66 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so very much for your thoughts and advice. I appreciate it !!!
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I have days where I eat more protein, and some days with more fat. Somedays I come under on everything.

I have been consistently losing weight. Even overeating protein or fat is better than what I ate before, and my body loves me for it :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I have been consistently losing weight. Even overeating protein or fat is better than what I ate before, and my body loves me for it :)

This is so true.

I still keep to a pretty "rigid" diet since I eat keto for reasons other than weight loss but man oh man, I will not beat myself up over eating a few "toxin filled" peanuts or...never mind. :*

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    @aprilsun66 I had energy issues for the first 6 months of keto. At that time my IBS had fully resolved and two years later has not returned. I was a very very sick person with health failing fast when I stopped eating sugar and all grains cold turkey Oct 2014.

Keto is very different from person to person and think we need to give ourselves 90-180 days of the keto Way Of Eating for our bodies to more fully adapt. Try not to set your expectations based on the results of others.

I generally work to keep my carbs <50 grams daily and protein in the 70-90 gram range. Total calories I do not track but they are more in the 2000-3000+ range. Often I will have 1500 for breakfast because my first cup of coffee can run 800 calories.

For movement I walk a 1/4 mile daily down and back up a steep hill plus just living.

Best of success and welcome to MFP forums.