When Did You Notice Your Weight Loss?

Options
cr8ivewonder
cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
After how much of a loss did you look in the mirror and go, damn...I'm looking great!

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I still haven't, exactly. I did in 2015, sort of, at my lowest size, before my thyroid stall out...but even then, I had to manipulate some factors. For me, it was really comparing pictures that forced me to acknowledge the progress, when I still felt like I had "miles and miles to go before I sleep."
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I did notice a month or two ago while I was walking in the mall, I caught my reflection in a glass store-front, and realized my outline wasn't too bad from the front. From the side I still look like a rounded triangle on stilts though, lol. (I have most of my weight around the midsection - out front and in back.)

I have a wierd thing with mirrors though so I don't know if I'll ever get to that point. I have prosopagnosia (aka face-blindness) and mirrors have always creeped me out. All I ever see in them are strangers, so I tend to avoid looking at them.
  • cr8ivewonder
    cr8ivewonder Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    I don't think I'm quite there yet.

I did notice a month or two ago while I was walking in the mall, I caught my reflection in a glass store-front, and realized my outline wasn't too bad from the front. From the side I still look like a rounded triangle on stilts though, lol. (I have most of my weight around the midsection - out front and in back.)

I have a wierd thing with mirrors though so I don't know if I'll ever get to that point. I have prosopagnosia (aka face-blindness) and mirrors have always creeped me out. All I ever see in them are strangers, so I tend to avoid looking at them.

I did the same thing when walking by a glass store front-I did a double take at my front profile! I don't own any floor length mirrors, so I'm thinking if I had one, I would see more results.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I never do in the mirror I have to look at pictures. Speaking of which, I should take some new ones. I usually have to dig around my social media accounts to find comparative pics.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    After how much of a loss did you look in the mirror and go, damn...I'm looking great!

This may not come as a shock to you, but women generally do not start weight loss as quickly as men. The funniest example recently given was Dr Naly on Keto Talk where he was talking about couples that come in where he has lost 20 lbs and she has lost 2 in the first month and she is none too pleased.

He says this has to do primarily with hormones and that it takes some time for a woman's hormones to adjust after switching to this WOE before significant weight loss occurs. How long this takes is variable. You will see women in this group on both extremes and in the middle.

Generally speaking nearly all women start noticing differences either in weight within the first 2-3 months. Even those who take longer usually have other benefits in that initial time like losing inches from areas like waist and hips and wherever else fat tends to be stored.
  • tinachris14
    tinachris14 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I haven't experienced that moment yet as I am only 9 weeks in. I've only lost 18lbs so I still have a long way to go. However, recently I have noticed I look less bloated in my belly, face, and hands. A lot of the little subtle changes are what I'm seeing when I look in the mirror.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    i agree you want to be on a 2lb per week sustainable pace! That is great. 18lbs is great. I didnt notice my weight loss until my wife said my neck looked skinnier. I still dont feel like I am there, but I lost 25 lbs since Jan 1 - so it must have done something.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Total loss was 60 pounds and I never started to look/feel like myself until 40-50 were gone though I could see a difference around -30.
  • SIMAKRA
    SIMAKRA Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I am an apply shape. When I started in mid January I was the perfect barrel at 115kgs. Now at 99.5 my belly shrank quite a bit. I am actually happy with my body now. Well,

Yes, I still have have 20 kg to loose, but that fat is distributed on my main body, not arms or legs and I am working on it.
  • jfmp
    jfmp Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever heard of someone gaining weight even if they were strictly keto? Someone who did everything correctly? My weight and body fat isn't that high, body fat at about 17%. So, I'm worried about actually gaining when I start.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    jfmp wrote: »
    Has anyone ever heard of someone gaining weight even if they were strictly keto? Someone who did everything correctly? My weight and body fat isn't that high, body fat at about 17%. So, I'm worried about actually gaining when I start.
    Do you plan to log and count calories? I'm sure it's possible to gain, though less likely on keto because of the satiating and appetite suppressing effects.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options

This is strictly my opinion/experience eating keto for a year for a reason other than weight loss/body composition. I lost my excess weight about 1.5 years prior to eating keto.

I'm a calorie counter and one who eats right around my calorie amount for maintenance.
    70% minimum of my calories are fat (since April 2016).
    I have neither gained weight nor lost weight eating keto.
    My body shape has not changed at all that I can tell.
    My minimal exercise has remained the same since 2014.
    Clothes that I purchased in May of 2014 fit me today as they did then so I've neither lost nor gained inches (though I don't measure my body and take photos).
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

You can gain wait with any WOE. IMO, it is hard to do on strict keto just because of the satiety factor. If you keep carbs very low and keep protein moderate, the fat is just too filling to overeat regularly. I switched from LC to keto for maintenance and lost more, which I had to try to regain. At the end, I ended up close to the same weight but with a lower body fat % - from about 19 to 14.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @jfmp - At any weight, if you have health issues that you're working to address, you can definitely either gain weight or lose nothing while your body puts all it's energy into healing you first - even if those are things you don't know you are fighting.

Look for the NSV's - the non-scale victories. If you feel better, have more energy, have better digestion, shed mental fog, have more physical enduring, better focus, all of those types of things - those are far more important than a few pounds on the scale.

Healing organs, joints, and the body all hold in moisture and nutrients for repair, so it stands to reason that you can retain a lot of temporary weight while healing. Add to that that you're weight is already low, and your body may have you gain a small bit - because that's what the body sees as your optimum healthy weight...

Plus, remember that you can weight more and be smaller/more fit. Look at the pictures in particular at the end of the first article and the beginning/middle of the second one.

nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/09/26/an-update-with-staci-our-powerlifting-superhero-plus-academy-scholarships/
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    While I did not lose a pound for the first 45 days of Keto I did start to see my fat face become thinner along with losing an inch at the waist before I started losing pounds.

What got me looking is one person told me every time see saw me I looked younger and lighter. I actually thought she was making fun of me being fat until I saw the change in my face.

My weight loss did not start until my IBS started getting better. I expect a leaking gut drives inflammation since my pain levels dropped like a rock within the first 30 days of getting off sugar and all forums of all grains.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I noticed it within a couple of weeks - but no one else did. :D

I lost weight pretty quickly, about 10lbs per month, and I only had about 30lbs to lose to get to a normal BMI, so I think it was more noticeable since I was closer to goal. Plus I lose from the top down and could see it in my face since that's the one part of me I look at more closely in the mirror. ;)