Brain Fog

Options
gotblues66
gotblues66 Posts: 58 Member
Well, at least I can rule out gluten or other carb sources as being the cause of the brain fog I've been experiencing for years. Keto has not helped that one bit. Anyone else experience this? I'm just groggy, forgetful, lacking focus. It's like that just woke up feeling, but lasts all day long, even after a double espresso. I work out, get okay sleep (occasional insomnia which of course makes it worse), have decent energy levels, no more stress than the next guy, just evasive sense of mental clarity. Maybe it's just getting old (51 now).

Replies

• pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I can't say I'm quite as a bad as you are describing, but I do know when I have low electrolytes I don't function as clearly. My energy responds way better to salt water, keto lemon aid, and pickle juice way better than caffeine in my coffee.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Thyroid problems can cause the problems you describe, although energy levels are often low as well.
  • jcampbell8065
    jcampbell8065 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Have you had a sleep study? Maybe you are not sleeping as well as you think you are.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above suggestions. I've been through each of those issues at different times.
  • mjc718
    mjc718 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had those same symptoms on a prior attempted at LCHF. The brain fog was real. I found that drinking a cup of chicken broth with a tbsp of salted butter and taking a magnesium supplement daily cleared it all up. I now also drink pickle juice on a regular basis (which contains sodium, magnesium, and potassium).
  • gotblues66
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions. I have had much blood work done recently which all came back fine. I had the fog really bad yesterday and found that a homemade gatorade made it feel better. I have to look into some affordable long term magnesium supplementation as well. I have a spray I use, and I get a small amount in my multi vitamin, but I suppose I could use more.
  • gotblues66
    Options
    Have you had a sleep study? Maybe you are not sleeping as well as you think you are.

This. I think this is a major part of it. I struggle with sleep, trying lots of different things to solve, from sleeping masks, to meditation to melatonin...
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    For my keto diet....I NEED to have a cup of bouillion (salt), potassium and magnesium supplements, as well a multi vitamin- DAILY!!! If I do not or forget, I experience exactly what you are saying.
    If you are not taking these supplements, at least look into the reasons for taking them, and go from there.
    Would not survive this diet without them.
    Good luck!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I also have had various sleep problems. Condensed version - blue light filter on phone. Dark cold room to sleep. Sleep tracker with "SleepTime" app on my phone that wakes me in a 30 minute window to find my lightest sleep. 5-htp with co-factors to aid sleep (offset by tyrosine during daytime). Routine. Making sure I get daylight early as possible (with D3/K2), then again at 12-2 pm to help with natural circadian rhythms and natural cortisol lowering and melatonin increasing...

I take 800 mg magnesium daily, 400 am, 400 pm. I still have occasional signs of deficiency...especially after lower water days, higher activity days, or just humid/hot/sweaty days (No AC in my car, etc.).

I'm not on much on the weekends, but I'll make a note to hit back this thread if there are questions. Otherwise, hit me up on PM and I'll check that, too. (Sorry for the short version, but have an appointment - if I need to explain any of the above, please holler.)

Above all, remember that there is often a huge difference between acceptable lab ranges in bloodwork and the optimal ranges where we actually feel our best! For example, most labs say TSH can go up to 4 or even 6!!!! Optimal range for 95% of people is 0.5-1.5.... So yeah, major differences. I had a doctor who told me that at 4.7, he didn't understand why my PCP had even medicated me...yet my TSH cut in HALF... Seriously?
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    how long have you been doing keto? i didnt feel the fog really lift till the second month
  • andreasoulcastle
    andreasoulcastle Posts: 478 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    gotblues66 wrote: »
    Well, at least I can rule out gluten or other carb sources as being the cause of the brain fog I've been experiencing for years. Keto has not helped that one bit. Anyone else experience this? I'm just groggy, forgetful, lacking focus. It's like that just woke up feeling, but lasts all day long, even after a double espresso. I work out, get okay sleep (occasional insomnia which of course makes it worse), have decent energy levels, no more stress than the next guy, just evasive sense of mental clarity. Maybe it's just getting old (51 now).

I was going through this for years beginning in young adulthood, tired all the time, sometimes loss of appetite or over appetite, fits of insomnia. I got my bloodwork done to check for thyroid or vitamin D deficiency...blood work came back fine. Dr. suggested I see someone for Depression. I met with someone, and was diagnosed with Major Depressive Disorder when I was 23. I have been on meds since, and they have helped me. I am not saying this is what it is, but it is something to consider.
  • gotblues66
    edited March 2017
    Options
    iris8pie wrote: »
    how long have you been doing keto? i didnt feel the fog really lift till the second month

Sorry i wasn't get getting notifications and forgot to check back for the last while. I'm at the 10 week mark in keto, initially went 21 days before a cheat/carb refeed day, and been on a kind of 14 day cyclical keto since then (carb refeeds every second week). As time went on I seem to "snap back" into ketosis pretty quickly after refeeds.

I now believe, with help of some of the responses here and further research, that my regular brain fog is the result of poor sleep and stress, but perhaps the IF (skipping breakfast) combined with keto isn't helping and can exacerbate the problem, if I'm not getting enough magnesium, potassium, sodium, hydration etc.

I've restocked my medicine cabinet (supplements are pricey - ouch!) with magnesium citrate pills, 5-HTP, GABA (on order). I already had potassium and melatonin supplements. Also started using a sleep mask, which seems to be helping, and until summer at least I can keep my bedroom colder at night. Also am avoiding blue light later in the evening- I used to read my kobo in bed, not sure if backlit e-readers emit much blue light. Hopefully this will all help. We will see.

Thanks again for the feedback!
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Hey, just a small note here, go see a neurologist. I was having micro-seizures with the same symptoms.