LADIES: Question about GYN procedures

Options

Replies

• Eisskween
    Eisskween Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I had the radical hysterectomy at 43, where they took everything including the ovaries. It threw me straight into full-blown menopause, but has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I had experienced a lot of what you are, and then some.

They said they will keep your ovaries. That's great because you won't have to deal with any of the hormonal issues. They don't last forever anyway and I did it without the hormone replacement therapy.

They say it's a six week recovery after the surgery. I was ready to go back to work in three, but the doc wouldn't clear me. LOL

Good luck to you, which ever you choose. Just wanted you to know of my experience and I that I am glad of the choice I made.
  • BSchoberg
    BSchoberg Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    If your GYN is willing to clear you for the hysterectomy as medically necessary (covered by insurance), do it! I know too many woman who have more conservative doctors who have to do tubal ligation THEN uterine oblation THEN finally the hysterectomy.

I am peri-menopausal myself and while my flow may come or not (I'll skip 3 months), the CRAMPS! Holy cow! It's like someone is stabbing me - never in my life have they been so bad. I am so ready to be done with the whole mess and would give my left boob for a hysterectomy. Well, maybe not that, but I'd give a lot... :laugh:
  • Alex_is_Hawks
    Alex_is_Hawks Posts: 3,499 Member
    Options
    Depends what you are looking for .... If it is for birth control only, any would be ok. But if you want to curb those nasty periods, the hysterectomy is the only surefire way.

Ablations and tubals may adjust your periods (worse or better) but won't take them away.

Good luck!!!!

true enough, it doesn't take your period away, but for the most part statistically they lessen them....

i don't mind having a period as long as it's not hell....that's all...i don't need hell.
  • pogojr
    pogojr Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation after my last child (6 years ago) and my monthly friend has been heavier compared to before the last pregnancy.
  • kariberi84
    kariberi84 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies, I am hoping some one out there can help me with a choice or give me some insight! Yesterday my GYN gave me the choice between a tuabal ligation and uterine ablation or a hysterectomy (leaving ovaries) I am not having more children - extremly heavy periods and cramping like labor pains( I take oxy for them) Cramps last 3 weeks. I originally said tubal/ablation. Now I am having some second thoughts on this, I would hate to have to have hysterectomy in a few years when I could jsut get it all done now!!

My hubby says to do what I feel comfortable with - and none of my girlfriends have had either. Anyone on here have either of these and what were results??

I have a friend that has had sever ablations and they only lasted so long. She ended up having a hysterectomy and loves it. As a matter of fact, I suffer from dysfunctional uterine bleeding. Its horrible, gross, and I have labor like cramps. I got the Mirena last December and have been in heaven with it... until last weekend when it came out on its own. I managed to convince my dr to let me have another one because that is the only "treatment" that will allow me to have another child in the future. My friend is trying to convince me to have a hysterectomy... but I'm only 28 and I want more kids. My suggestion, go with the hysterectomy. The tuabal ligation and uterine ablation are not 100%, but the hysterectomy is. Good luck!
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I will be 42 next month. I had a hysterectomy in March of 2009 and it was the best thing I've ever done for myself.

My periods were heavy, extremely painful, erratic and the pain was becoming constant, not just during my periods. So many times my boss would send me home from work because I was doubled over, crying in pain. I couldn't just enjoy my life. I found out I had uterine fibroids. 5 of them, very large. My GYN said my uterus was the size of a 5 month pregnancy. We tried 'shrinking' them with birth control pills but the pills made me bat-**** crazy. I was hormonal enough without them. When I asked her what she would do if she were me (not planning on having more kids) her exact words were, "I'd take the mother out" So I did. 4-6 months of discomfort and pain so well worth the rest of my life being pain and period free. I do still have my ovaries but now they function properly and I am no longer a basket case.
  • breezymom81
    breezymom81 Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I had the radical hysterectomy at 43, where they took everything including the ovaries. It threw me straight into full-blown menopause, but has been the best thing that's ever happened to me. I had experienced a lot of what you are, and then some.

They said they will keep your ovaries. That's great because you won't have to deal with any of the hormonal issues. They don't last forever anyway and I did it without the hormone replacement therapy.

They say it's a six week recovery after the surgery. I was ready to go back to work in three, but the doc wouldn't clear me. LOL

Good luck to you, which ever you choose. Just wanted you to know of my experience and I that I am glad of the choice I made.

What type of hysterectomy did you have? Abdominal or vaginal? From what I hear the vaginal one is much less painful and fast recovery, I am waiting to hear back from him on what type he would do.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    This may be TMI, but here goes.

I was put in a similar position when I was about 38 due to endometriosis. I already had 3 children and spent 5 years dealing with super-heavy periods (horrifying-ly heavy), massive clotting, cramps - just a mess. My GYN recommended a hysterectomy because of all the issues and because I already had three kids.

I held off because I was scared.

Two years later, at age 40, I was doubled over in pain and had to go to the emergency room. Endometrial tissue was everywhere and they had to do a hysterectomy right away.

Good news is that I still had one little pink ovary that was saved!

So, I got the best of both worlds: no more periods, and one happy estrogen-producing ovary (no need for hormone replacement).

People are a little taken aback when I say the hysterectomy was the best thing ever!

I am 31 and people are taken aback that I really am considering this!! Why should I be in pain 3 weeks out of 4? I don't need the crap anymore, baby days are done!!

You are younger than I was and w/slightly different issues. If I had known, I would have done mine before age 40. I tried to tell myself that the heavy periods weren't that bad and I could deal with it - as they continued to get worse and ruin my life. The term 'hysterectomy' competely freaked me out. My mom had one (early 70's) and they took everything including her appendix and left her on hormones with a massive scar across her tummy! But, my GYN was excellent, he explained everything that would happen, gave me options for other treatments and told me he would leave all healthy organs -specifically the ovaries.
  • breezymom81
    Options
    If they flick the bean, they're doing it wrong.

Damn, this is a serious post. Do your research. Looks like they're leaving the ovaries either way, which I've heard is the good part because you can still then rely on them for hormonal balance. I have, however, heard that there can be some complications with having a hysterectomy and leaving the ovaries that are less common with tubal ligation. Just take some time and do a crap ton of research. Maybe get a second opinion. Do you have a women’s hospital available to you that you can go to for another opinion? I would think it’s sort of a big deal.

It is and I have done research- both can have some serious complications!! An ablation is 3rd degree burns over your entire uterus!!! Unfortunaly only one hospital here will even do tubals- the other is cathloic and will not allow it!
  • scrdofbugs
    scrdofbugs Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy due to cancer 2 yrs ago at the age of 36. My dr was going to do ablation (however you spell it) becuase of heavy periods and clotting but he did a biospy during my pap which came back cancer. The hysterectomy was the BEST thing ever as far as not having to deal with all that. I can not take hormones due to the type of cancer I had. THey got all the cancer and I am loving not having my friend each month. I was cut pretty big due to the size of my uterous. I have had very little menopausal symptoms some hot flashes that were not bad at all.
  • readsalot68
    readsalot68 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hello,
    I had an abdominal hysterectomy about 3 yrs ago now. I had fibroids all over and in my uterus. I still have my ovaries and cervix. No medical issues since. I must say that not having a period has been great.

But definitely do your research and do what's best for your situation.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Let me just say, I am not advocating hysterectomy in any way. It's just my personal story. It worked for me. My one, little pink ovary-that-could has been pluggin away for almost 7 years post-op. I have a little smiley-face bikini line scar that healed and faded nicely.

I agree with everyone else here who says research, research, research. It's a very personal, hard decision. You're young age makes it even tougher.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    I had tubal ligation 11 years ago. I have normal periods. I have friends that had there Uterus removed due to heavy bleeding ect... no more periods for them no more cramping and bleeding. But most don't realize that by having your Uterus removed you can no longer have those deep uterine orgasams . You can still get off but the one bodypart is missing so it will be different for you . Best wishes for you.
  • alfpalmer
    alfpalmer Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Ablations and tubals may adjust your periods (worse or better) but won't take them away.

Not always - i had a uterine ablation almost 4 years ago and haven't had a period since.
    Best invention since the weed eater. I could not be happier.
  • breezymom81
    Options
    Let me just say, I am not advocating hysterectomy in any way. It's just my personal story. It worked for me. My one, little pink ovary-that-could has been pluggin away for almost 7 years post-op. I have a little smiley-face bikini line scar that healed and faded nicely.

I agree with everyone else here who says research, research, research. It's a very personal, hard decision. You're young age makes it even tougher.

My age acctually is not an issue, both my children have chronic illness that is very likely genetic, as I would never put a child through what my daughter goes through knowingly ( personal choice - not for all) I am dead set on the NO MORE children. I am leanign towards a hysterectomy at this time, guess I will have to wait for the dr to call me back....
  • breezymom81
    Options
    Not always - i had a uterine ablation almost 4 years ago and haven't had a period since.
    Best invention since the weed eater. I could not be happier.

LOL

:laugh:
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I had tubal ligation 11 years ago. I have normal periods. I have friends that had there Uterus removed due to heavy bleeding ect... no more periods for them no more cramping and bleeding. But most don't realize that by having your Uterus removed you can no longer have those deep uterine orgasams . You can still get off but the one bodypart is missing so it will be different for you . Best wishes for you.

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference (other than the absence of pain) in regards to sexual enjoyment. Compare how often you have those types of orgasms to how often you are doubled over in pain.
  • breezymom81
    Options

I had considered this, but to counter act it after one of those lovelies I end up with cramps for hours....to the point sometimes I will fight the beauty...but I thought I was the only person who had considered this aspect
  • breezymom81
    Options

I can't say I've noticed much of a difference (other than the absence of pain) in regards to sexual enjoyment. Compare how often you have those types of orgasms to how often you are doubled over in pain.

That is my thought on this, plsu the pain afterwards, makes me not once sex and let me tell you - 3 weeks of severe cramps will KILL a girls sex life!!!!
  • Sharon_73
    Sharon_73 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I had a hysterectomy due to cancer 2 yrs ago at the age of 36. My dr was going to do ablation (however you spell it) becuase of heavy periods and clotting but he did a biospy during my pap which came back cancer. The hysterectomy was the BEST thing ever as far as not having to deal with all that. I can not take hormones due to the type of cancer I had. THey got all the cancer and I am loving not having my friend each month. I was cut pretty big due to the size of my uterous. I have had very little menopausal symptoms some hot flashes that were not bad at all.

This is almost identical to me. My surgery was January, 2011. Cancer free now!
    It was emotionally difficult for me at first to know what needed to be done but now I am glad. However, I would not opt for a hysterectomy unles it was the only solution but that is only my opinion. You have to do what is right for you. Good luck