LADIES: Question about GYN procedures

Options

Replies

• jeanzbeanz
    Options
    No difference in sex life here. If anything, not having massive amounts of blood and clots falling out me, being a massive b*tch due to incredible cramping, exhausted from blood loss, and being 'out of commission' for a week to ten days out of every month has made our sex life and LOVE life even better.

If I do say so myself - we don't do too bad for old folks pushing 50- having been married 25 years.

TMI and FYI.

For what it's worth.

:-)
  • leeanneowens
    leeanneowens Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation after my third child. MY periods were extremely heavy afterward.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Let me just say, I am not advocating hysterectomy in any way. It's just my personal story. It worked for me. My one, little pink ovary-that-could has been pluggin away for almost 7 years post-op. I have a little smiley-face bikini line scar that healed and faded nicely.

I agree with everyone else here who says research, research, research. It's a very personal, hard decision. You're young age makes it even tougher.

My age acctually is not an issue, both my children have chronic illness that is very likely genetic, as I would never put a child through what my daughter goes through knowingly ( personal choice - not for all) I am dead set on the NO MORE children. I am leanign towards a hysterectomy at this time, guess I will have to wait for the dr to call me back....

Similar circumstances here. My second child is autistic and has Turner's Syndrome (genetic disorder). I was pregnant with my third when my second was diagnosed. I chose to continue on with the pregnancy knowing he could have problems (he's 17 and only issue is being a teenager!). But, I knew for a fact I didn't want any more kids because of my daughter's diagnosis.
  • hjleavitt
    Options
    I would opt for the hysterectomy. The surgery is much less invasive that in the past (they do it laparascopically) and recovery is better. The chances of the ablation stopping the bleeding is not incredibly high. If you are done having children, then the hysterectomy is the way to go.
  • briebear77
    briebear77 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't really know anything about it but based on these replies I'd get my tank yanked if I were you!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    hysterectomy...he left my ovary and cervix. Best thing I ever did for myself (other than quitting smoking and losing weight)
  • cobrien830
    Options
    I had the Ablation 3 years ago and have not had a period since. I have recommended it to 5 friends and no one regrets having it done!
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    If your periods are heavy and painful, get the hysterectomy NOW.
  • family_girl2626
    Options
    I am an LPN in an obs/gyne clinic here in Canada and am currently going thru some of this myself. As easy as the hysterectomy would be to just get it all done and over with you need to keep in mind years down the road. How old are you? If you take out the uterus too soon then later on in life you may have some issues with prolapses. The uterus does keep things in place. Something to consider!!! Hope it helped and didn't make your decision harder.
  • Zumbagurl64
    Zumbagurl64 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I was having cramps, ongoing bleeding discharge etc...... I opted for the ablation, Oct 2010, havent had a period since, although I still have some of the monthly symptoms (an occasional migraine, food cravings)..... but have been totally happy/satisfied with it! good luck to you!
  • NHmomtotwo
    NHmomtotwo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had ablation 2 years ago and it never worked. After many tests I found out I have endometrial hyperplasia. Super heavy periods and in less than 2weeks I will be having a hysterectomy. The cells I have will most likely turn cancerous so it's really a no brainer.cannot wait to be period and cramp free once and for all. Good luck!
  • Maryaly40
    Maryaly40 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    BTW...I have more intense orgasms now :happy: :tongue:
  • 1PoisonIvy
    1PoisonIvy Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    I have had all three, and here is my opinion.

A tubal made my periods worse for 17 years
    An ablation was only a temporary fix
    And a hysterectomy was something I wish I would have done instead of the tubal.

My ovaries were removed, and I where a patch, so I don't have any mood swings, or hot flashes, again, I wish I would have had my hysterectomy 17 years ago

Good Luck,
    Ivy
  • pbamerson
    pbamerson Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.

If I may ask a super personal question, and if you are willing to answer...has it caused any issues in bed? We have a great sex life and I worry that the way I work will change.

Had a hysterectomy at age 28 -- NO REGRETS!! "Relations" improved immensly!!
  • mommyrox05
    mommyrox05 Posts: 238
    Options
    I had a tubal ligation almost a year ago, but for diffrent reasons than why you are considering. I feel great. Periods haven't changed much. I would say that if you have heavy aweful periods and you gyn has suggested hysterectomy-get it now and be pain free! <3
  • xTattooedDollx
    xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Novasure/Thermachoice ablations are just quick and easy. If you get a hystetectomy make sure go home the same its robotic. You get to go home the same day and you will feel better right away. If cancer runs
    in the family would suggest removing the ovaries. If your dr does not do robotic hysterectomies i suggest finding one who does.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    I would opt for the hysterectomy. The surgery is much less invasive that in the past (they do it laparascopically) and recovery is better. The chances of the ablation stopping the bleeding is not incredibly high. If you are done having children, then the hysterectomy is the way to go.

Unless like mine, your uterus has become too large to be removed laparoscopically or vaginally. Had mine abdominally. Now have a 6-inch scar across my lower abdomen, but it was done below the bikini line so no one sees it except me, my partner and my doc.

Also, I'm not sure what the reason for your surgery is, but if it's something like fibroids or endometriosis you should also have your cervix removed as it is made of the same tissue as your uterus and therefore prone to the same ailments. Keep your ovaries if at all possible.
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    I had a vaginal hysterectomy and have nooo regrets. The surgery was fast, I only had one tiny stitch in my belly button and I recovered quickly.

If I may ask a super personal question, and if you are willing to answer...has it caused any issues in bed? We have a great sex life and I worry that the way I work will change.

^^ This. I had the same due to severe, severe endometriosis and have not regretted it for one day. My mom had ovarian cancer though, so they took everything, ovaries and all. It took a few months to get the right hormone replacement cocktail for me but once we did, the bedroom has been as hot as ever! :love:
  • BR3ANDA
    BR3ANDA Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I had the ablation done 4 years ago, it was great at first, but now my periods are back to a full super heavy flow with major cramps again. I wont do it again because the procedure is excruciatingly painful. I'm opting for partial hysterectomy next, although I'm hoping that with my weight loss and nutritional change that some of my problems will lighten up.
  • jeanzbeanz
    Options
    Prolapse can be an issue once the uterus is removed. Research that as well. I talked about this with my GYN and that's part of the reason I am on this website - to avoid it, he suggested reducing my weight and exercising (surprise) - especially keeping the abdominal muscles strong. And, eat more fiber to reduce the chance of straining during a BM. Ack! TMI again!

Hmmm... exercise and eating right seem to be the answer to everything.