Supplements on Keto?

Options
vidaliababy
vidaliababy Posts: 15 Member
What supplements do you guys take while on keto? As of right now I take b-12, magnesium, and a multivitamin.... what do you guys recommend/take and why?

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I take a regular multivitimin, calcium, and extra b-12. The multi & calcium are 'just cuz' I suppose.

The b-12 I take as I was diagnosed as 'low' for that and the doc said I needed more of it. (That was long before I started LCHF though. Getting it re-tested next month.)
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I'm like Knit, I take a wide array for several things. So many....I'd say the magnesium is essential for this woe. And a good quality multi.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I take only 100mg of magnesium and 1/2 dose of a multi vitamin. 1 year in, so far so good.

I eat a wide variety of foods: fats, eggs, dairy, fish, beef, chicken, pork, a few berries and a wide array of keto friendly vegetables.
  • vidaliababy
    vidaliababy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys!
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    I take the following currently (note, I'm also an athlete):

-Magnesium to help improve sleep quality and recovery (daily)
    -Zinc to help improve sleep quality and recovery (daily)
    -Brain Octane Oil to help increase ketones (daily)
    -Boku Super Greens to help fill any nutritional gaps (almost daily)
    -Boku Protein to help increase protein intake when needed (few times a week)
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Right now I'm taking Magnesium, Turmeric on the regular.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    esjones12 wrote: »

@esjones12 - I recently (October) starting taking Zinc for thyroid support. How does it help with sleep and recovery? Also, I'm taking a chelated bisglycinate... I seem to gravitate towards chelated meds... I've found for me they seem to work better. I'm wondering if there is anything to that? So, what dose do you take of the zinc?
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    KetoMCT oil (experimenting to see which I like best)
    Magnesium (I take Natural Calm at night before bed)
    ZMA on occasion
    Potassium (workout hard and sweat a lot, take it a couple times a day to keep up with electrolytes)
    BCAA (branched chain amino acids) 1-2 times a day. Definitely at least 1 time for my morning fasted cardio.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    esjones12 wrote: »

@esjones12 - I recently (October) starting taking Zinc for thyroid support. How does it help with sleep and recovery? Also, I'm taking a chelated bisglycinate... I seem to gravitate towards chelated meds... I've found for me they seem to work better. I'm wondering if there is anything to that? So, what dose do you take of the zinc?

@KnitOrMiss - to be more specific I take Zinc Amino Acid Chelate (80mg) and Magnesium Chelate (100mg). They are common deficiencies that are increased by heavy training. I know magnesium is known to help with muscle recovery. It's possible that I've been mistaken on the tie-in to aiding with sleep, it was quite a few months ago since I was told to start taking them by my boyfriend/coach! I'd have to ask him and/or Google for more info.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb real foods provides a pretty nutritionally complete diet but you can use this resource to learn which foods give the most bang for your carb buck. Lol
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/04/06/optimal-foods-for-blood-sugar-regulation-and-nutritoinal-ketosis/

This chart compares overall how low carb foods do against all foods. So you generally increase overall nutrition just by concentrating on low carb real food sources.
    wdhl8u1y824l.png

This right here. Unless you have a metabolic issue which requires supplements, eating REAL food will generally get you what you need.

I do understand many here, including me, do have metabolic issues which may require supplementation, but that will be very individual. I found out I do not metabolize some B vitamins very well and need to supplement in order to get my body to hold on to enough.

I also have high BG, so looking into things like what are in this study may be appropriate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662109/

I think it can cause more harm than good if you just start taking supplements without proper understanding of what you individually need. Some vitamins and minerals can be toxic if the amounts get too high. Some can cause other problems. For years, women were told to take calcium to stop osteoporosis. However without proper vitamin D, that calcium is not used for bones and that excess can lead to kidney stones. If you have ever had a kidney stone, you know they totally suck.

I think the $160 I spent last year to have my doctor run a crapload of blood tests to see exactly where I am in regard to all this was some of the best money I could have spent and WAY cheaper than the diabetes medication would have ended up being had I not gotten the information I needed to supplement what I need and only what I need. I wish insurance would have covered that blood work, and maybe one day they will get their heads out of their....uh, anyway, maybe one day they will actually start covering things that truly help instead of just the medication that only treat the symptoms and not the causes.
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Eating low carb real foods provides a pretty nutritionally complete diet but you can use this resource to learn which foods give the most bang for your carb buck. Lol
    https://optimisingnutrition.com/2015/04/06/optimal-foods-for-blood-sugar-regulation-and-nutritoinal-ketosis/

This chart compares overall how low carb foods do against all foods. So you generally increase overall nutrition just by concentrating on low carb real food sources.
    wdhl8u1y824l.png

This right here. Unless you have a metabolic issue which requires supplements, eating REAL food will generally get you what you need.

I do understand many here, including me, do have metabolic issues which may require supplementation, but that will be very individual. I found out I do not metabolize some B vitamins very well and need to supplement in order to get my body to hold on to enough.

I also have high BG, so looking into things like what are in this study may be appropriate:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3662109/

I think it can cause more harm than good if you just start taking supplements without proper understanding of what you individually need. Some vitamins and minerals can be toxic if the amounts get too high. Some can cause other problems. For years, women were told to take calcium to stop osteoporosis. However without proper vitamin D, that calcium is not used for bones and that excess can lead to kidney stones. If you have ever had a kidney stone, you know they totally suck.

I think the $160 I spent last year to have my doctor run a crapload of blood tests to see exactly where I am in regard to all this was some of the best money I could have spent and WAY cheaper than the diabetes medication would have ended up being had I not gotten the information I needed to supplement what I need and only what I need. I wish insurance would have covered that blood work, and maybe one day they will get their heads out of their....uh, anyway, maybe one day they will actually start covering things that truly help instead of just the medication that only treat the symptoms and not the causes.

Without proper vitamin D and K2 - the D can help the calcium to absorb, but without the K2, it will literally sit about and clutter up your arteries, so D is the party bus for calcium, but K2 is like the driver with GPS making sure it knows WHERE to go, and first, etc. Potassium and magnesium are like the the passport to get the bus through the checkpoint, etc. Boron and Zinc help strengthen the cell walls to keep the calcium inside where it's needed...

But recent studies show that if you're taking D and Calcium without K2 (specifically for M7), it's a HUGE, HUGE risk...
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    I take lots of supplements:
    -GNC Whole Body Vitapak (includes a lot of things)
    -Fish oil
    -Magnesium citrate
    -Glucosamine + MSM (I'm a runner)
    -Co-Q10 (I take a statin)
    -L-Carnitine
    -Occasional post-exercise BCAA's
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @midwesterner85 - I've heard lots of great things about L-Carnitine - but it's crazy expensive. What does it do for you?
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @midwesterner85 - I've heard lots of great things about L-Carnitine - but it's crazy expensive. What does it do for you?

This is something we can make ourselves (therefore classified as a non-essential amino acid), and it is mostly beneficial as a transporter. In short, it increases bio-availability of glucose and fat (long-chain fatty acids, that is) by helping move it to muscles. As a result, it should improve athletic performance and prevent 'bonking' whether running on glucose or fat. This is especially helpful since I'm fat adapted... those who primarily use glucose still need to find a way to ingest or create glucose as this only works on the energy use side.

Additionally, it helps reduce insulin resistance as a result of the glucose shuttling capability: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10067662

• Bayluvr
    Bayluvr Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss...so are you saying I should take my calcium (Citracal with D3) @ night alone, and then my D3 with K2 in the morning (have to get some K2)? That said, do I need to change to Citracal WITHOUT D3?

I've had osteoporosis since 2007, with an L4-5 compression fracture, and have been taking Citracal with D3 plus extra D3 together for years. I have a new endo, and I see him next month, so I want to be prepared and compare what he has to say to what I see/read here and from MD/nutritional studies I view or read.

Then, if the above is correct, when do I take my Mag Calm? I used to take that last thing at night to help me sleep (which is usually around 2am) after taking my calcium/D3 around 10pm. Any suggestions?

• KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @Bayluvr - I'll be the first to admit that I haven't researched this specifically, especially considering the osteoporosis aspect, but my understanding is that most of us do not become calcium deficient due to a lack of calcium - it's because we can't absorb it or get it where it needs to go, etc. My understanding was that calcium, by itself, no D3, if it HAD to be taken, should be taken alone, at night, 12 hours away from D3 and all that. Taking it WITH D3 causes too much to be absorbed without somewhere to move it to... D3 shouldn't be taken at night because it is the sunshine vitamin and can throw off your circadian rhythms... D3 should NEVER be taken without K2, to my understanding, because of this routing/absorption/dumping issue...

I think that if you want to read an interesting story about reversing osteoporosis, look up Mira (and Jayson) Calton. That's how they met. Through nutritional therapy and elimination dieting, they restored her health. The main book I read up on was "The Micronutrient Miracle" though they have a few others. Most are available in discount booksellers (mainstream, too), or on loan from PDF library access, etc.

Honestly, as long as you don't take thyroid medication (calcium interferes with absorption), and you make sure the numbers match up (I think it is 10,000 IU D3 to 50 mcg K2, M7 form - dunno how calcium factors in), I would take the Citrical with D3, the D3/K2 all at the same time in the morning, with fatty foods, as D is fat soluble. I would keep your mag calm at night for sleeping...

My LONG TERM honest opinion is that until you get updated testing on your condition and do some research, I personally would probably drop the citrical until you get comfortable with the information to make sure you're taking all your supplements properly. There is more harm to be done with the citrical if taken incorrectly than help to be had from it potentially incorrectly... That all being said, I personally would also get one of those $50 heart/artery/whatever scans to make sure you don't have existing blockage. Mega-doses of D3/K2 (IN BALANCE) along side polyphenols - are supposed to be able to help reverse some of this situation.

Again, please consider this only to by my personal opinion, what I would do for myself, in a similar situation. Please please do your own research and get comfortable with the information before making any major changes/decisions. I think it was Dr. Berg who talked about the calcium thing...or perhaps it was Dr. Hyman.... If I run across the links and such again, I will definitely post it, but knowing how much of arterial clutter is from us taking things incorrectly, the whole idea of taking calcium when we aren't absorbing/routing it well scares me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    I don't know if Chris Masterjohn PhD covers it specifically in his Vitamin K2 Primer, but I would imagine so... He wasn't my first resource on the subject, but his is one of my favorites.

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/09/the-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/

https://chrismasterjohnphd.com/2016/12/29/updates-ultimate-vitamin-k2-resource/?_sf_s=vitamin+k