LC Questions

Options
kittens2cute
kittens2cute Posts: 68 Member
Hello. I'm new to the LC Game so I have a few questions....first a little bit about me. I'm a carboholic. If there's carbs. I love it. Which is why I feel I need to cut them out. Not 100% because I feel that is pretty impossible for me. But the majority of them. So...in that spirit, here's my question. What do you feel are "acceptable" carbs? For example, my family is having Nachos for dinner tonight (chips, lean ground beef, black beans, veggies, greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), cheese, etc). I was thinking of just cutting the chips out and making it a taco salad. But my question is, do I need to? Are corn chips an acceptable carb? Thank you for any information you can pass onto this LC newbie!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    What is your goal carb level? I keep mine under 100g which means that YES, corn chips in limited quantities are permitted...pretty much anything is permitted, it's just a matter of how much in any particular day or meal. Anything under 150g/day is considered Low Carb and that is more than enough of a carb limit to fit in corn, potato, and other high carb items, just limited quantities of those items.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It all depends on how low your carb allowance is. I lost weight on the high end of low carb and legumes were a regular part of my diet. Chips, not so much. Now I eat keto for reason other than weight and neither chips nor beans are part of my standard food choices. I'd have a taco salad with meat over salad vegetables with a little: cheese, sour cream, salsa, black olives.

Every now and then I might have a small bite of rice or beans or 1-2 chips for the heck of it. I seem to have no physical food sensitivities/allergies so nothing is totally off limits to me.

Hello. I'm new to the LC Game so I have a few questions....first a little bit about me. I'm a carboholic. If there's carbs. I love it. Which is why I feel I need to cut them out. Not 100% because I feel that is pretty impossible for me. But the majority of them. So...in that spirit, here's my question. What do you feel are "acceptable" carbs? For example, my family is having Nachos for dinner tonight (chips, lean ground beef, black beans, veggies, greek yogurt (in place of sour cream), cheese, etc). I was thinking of just cutting the chips out and making it a taco salad. But my question is, do I need to? Are corn chips an acceptable carb? Thank you for any information you can pass onto this LC newbie!

• Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    As @tcunbeliever and @kpk54 said, it depends on your carb limit. There's a range here from 0-150 grams per day. Do you have a gram goal in mind?

I personally would cut out the chips and most, if not all, of the beans. I'd include plenty of sour cream and cheese though. Increasing fat helps you feel full longer which is one of the best benefits to LCHF, IMO.

Welcome to the group and to low carb! Have you checked out the launchpad at the top of the group? There's a lot of great information there that can help you get started...especially important is the information on salt/electrolytes. Good luck to you!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Agree with all of the above. I replaced corn chips with chicharrones. Makes awesome nachos, they are great for dipping into guacamole or hummus. While I can handle a little hummus, I do better avoiding refried, pintos & black beans, but they might not be an issue for you.

If you have not found a fat head pizza recipe, you might want to do that. Google it, tons of those are on the 'net. It is a good way to get family members who are resistant to get on board. If most folks can have nachos and pizza, they are fine with the diet, LOL.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Check out the launch pad here:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Use that to figure out how low you want to go on carbs and then you can decide where you want to be.

That said, corn chips (and chips in general) are almost never going to be a good decision regardless of whether or not you are LC because they are almost always fried in highly processed vegetable oil which a) have a high omega 6 content which leads to inflammation, and b) due to the high amount of processing quickly get oxidized in your system. I am assuming you have heard of anti-oxidants and how good they are for you. In reality, you are better off avoiding the foods that cause oxidation like these oils in the first place.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I have personally found, for my own part, that trying to justify eating 'some' carbs is not the way to go. I either do - or I don't.

I would add that just about every single thing you eat is composed of Protein, Carbs and Fats. You can't 100% avoid them all the time, the whole time.
    I always check how much of the carbs are (a) sugars (Bad sugars, bad!!) and (b) Fibre. If you have, say 25mg of carbs, but it's high "of which" sugars, it's a bad thing. If you have a high fibre content, that's a lot better. Also, check the Protein content.... But if you're going to cure yourself of carbs, sometimes, cold turkey will be ultimately better for you than 'weaning' yourself off them....
  • cawood2
    cawood2 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I was pretty carboholic when I started about 7 weeks ago. All about the bread, sugar, etc. I thought I might have a lot of trouble, but honestly I haven't had really bad cravings. It helps that I feel really good- physically and mentally- on low carb. I generally am under 20, maybe up to 25 g/day of carbs. No bread, no sugar, rice, noodles, etc. And I don't miss it! Good luck! And over 6 weeks I've lost 15 lbs- no big water whoosh, just kind of steady pound here, pound there. Definitely sticking with this!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, @cawood2 me too...my weight loss has been gradual, and sometimes it has fluctuated. I'm menopausal, so goodness knows what my little bod is doing, but being petite, I'm slightly heavier than I should be, and I do mean, slightly. I should be losing maybe 8lbs, as I'm just over 9st., and am down to 9.1, having lost 3lbs or so.
    But I haven't been counting calories, I've just cut the highly negative carbs.
    I occasionally have a wholemeal sourdough thin crisp, but it's mainly fibre and has a good level of protein, so I don't guilt-trip over that.
    Steady does it....