ALCOHOL?

Options
13»

Replies

• kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    This is my weekly struggle and is what I believe to be that "thing" that is stopping me from showing good results.

I very rarely drink during the week unless its a celebration and even then I might just have one, but come the weekend I tend to drink a lot. I find it hard to only have a few drinks and with my favourite drinks being Gin and Tonic and Beer - and I do not light diet tonic or light beer, but I also will drink cocktails and wine if offered or at a restaurant, the calorie content can be quite high and I try my best to capture that on MFP. I really do dislike when it says if you did this every day you would be 10 lbs heavier in 5 weeks :( lol

I struggle with this because it is something that I really enjoy and the one main thing that I do to relax after a long week (single mom 2 kids under 6). Sometimes I drink Fri, Sat and maybe a beer on Sunday when cooking.. and then sometimes its just Saturday night but might have 4-5 drinks from dinner on... but every time I feel super guilty for it after. sigh.

I need to find a good balance here so that I can still enjoy a nice drink and also not feel like I am ruining of my chances of being the "fittest" me...

I have no desire to eat cake, cookies, ice cream, chips, pastry or anything like that.. not even fries or fried food of any kind.. so my food intake is quite good.. I do like black licorice and sour candy like sour kids once and a while but nothing that is an every day challenge for me so I feel like I at least need once go to thing to indulge in.

Sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves but I am also pretty sure that if I take alcohol out of my diet completely that those last 5-10 lbs or whatever it is I am aiming for will be much easier to get
  • michelllqoh
    michelllqoh Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm glad I found this thread. I have a bit of guilt about my wine drinking habit but I have a rather stressful job - or at least that is the excuse I use - I have a glass of wine about 4-5 nights a week. One bottle lasts me 2 or 3 days (usually 2) but other than my wine, I try to never drink calories. I need to cut back to just weekends but I don't want to, so I plan it into my day. I'll open a bottle which takes 2-3 days to finish, then take a night off, sometimes two and open another. I feel like I'm depriving myself if I don't plan in the things I love, then I binge... and when I binge, I binge big. In the summer, the wine habit turns into a beer habit on the weekends, nothing better than a cold beer on a hot afternoon, so I try to drink a light beer, Corona light is my go-to -- only 100 calories a bottle so if I drink 2 I'm still on track and feel pretty good about it.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    This only becomes a thing for me during the spring and summer (approaching!) I can easily just get one vodka soda on date night, or something like that. But when the weather is good and we're outside grilling, or hanging around by the pool, that's when I want beer. Or margaritas. And not just one, either.
  • pacingoamy
    pacingoamy Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    kclewis416 wrote: »
    This is my weekly struggle and is what I believe to be that "thing" that is stopping me from showing good results.

I very rarely drink during the week unless its a celebration and even then I might just have one, but come the weekend I tend to drink a lot. I find it hard to only have a few drinks and with my favourite drinks being Gin and Tonic and Beer - and I do not light diet tonic or light beer, but I also will drink cocktails and wine if offered or at a restaurant, the calorie content can be quite high and I try my best to capture that on MFP. I really do dislike when it says if you did this every day you would be 10 lbs heavier in 5 weeks :( lol

I struggle with this because it is something that I really enjoy and the one main thing that I do to relax after a long week (single mom 2 kids under 6). Sometimes I drink Fri, Sat and maybe a beer on Sunday when cooking.. and then sometimes its just Saturday night but might have 4-5 drinks from dinner on... but every time I feel super guilty for it after. sigh.

I need to find a good balance here so that I can still enjoy a nice drink and also not feel like I am ruining of my chances of being the "fittest" me...

I have no desire to eat cake, cookies, ice cream, chips, pastry or anything like that.. not even fries or fried food of any kind.. so my food intake is quite good.. I do like black licorice and sour candy like sour kids once and a while but nothing that is an every day challenge for me so I feel like I at least need once go to thing to indulge in.

Sometimes we can be so hard on ourselves but I am also pretty sure that if I take alcohol out of my diet completely that those last 5-10 lbs or whatever it is I am aiming for will be much easier to get

I can understand this mentality, but if you also look at the post following yours, you see that many of us have a pattern that includes a binge on the things we love when we cut them out completely. So, for me, I have had to play with what I drink. I *adore* the tastes of craft beer, but I rarely now drink more than one a day and have switched from a stout to something lighter like a kolsh or ale. And, I wait to drink it when I can enjoy it. Like you, it's usually during the cooking of dinner or eating a meal, but I also noticed before MFP how I can suck down two beers while doing other things and not really remember what kind I was enjoying. So, just like many do with sweets, I try to savor. Instead of grabbing a bottle as I start with dinner, I drink water and think about what I have in the fridge and kind of let myself build it up a bit. Then, I not only drink it when I am seated and can enjoy it, but I do kind of get more enjoyment out of it. I think I went knee-jerk into opening one because I was eager to get in to my 'non work' time and now I make myself settle naturally a bit more.
  • kclewis416
    kclewis416 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    You are so right and I also binge when I totally try and give something up.. not only before.. but after as well.. so I just need to stick to my plan of finding that good balance.. which I am slowly getting more comfortable with

Right now my goal is to tone up as much as possible for my family vacation in 9 weeks to Jamaica.. I have never once worked out on vacation and I have never once used MFP on vacation either... the last thing I want to do is binge on an all inclusive vacation.. lol.. or do i ? :)

Thanks for the support and your opinion it is much appreciated.

• Agefyter
    Agefyter Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    MzKrystle wrote: »
    I love wine. Normal for me is (was) 3-4 glasses of wine a night! However I have cut way back. I no longer drink during the week unless it's a special occasion (not too many of those) and now only drink on Saturdays....2 glasses max. So down to two glasses of wine a week. I feel so much better. My body can't handle alcohol like it used too. I sleep so much better and I don't feel sluggish and hungover the next day. I have two small children so I need to be at my best for them. As far as weight I haven't noticed any difference. But I feel better...that's most important.

Disappointed to hear you didn't see difference in weight. I drink about the same as you did. Was hoping that cutting back would make a diff.