struggling big time

Options
2»

Replies

• cindy1470
    cindy1470 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to this forum, but the IF has been a god send to me. I don't eat breakfast anymore, and rarely am even hungry for lunch most days.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions....I changed my macros to 5% carbs(21g)...70% fat (129g) and 25% (104g)protein....I am over on fat and low on protein but I am out of calories ...As for IF I don't think I would be able to do it I suffer from hypoglycemia

Do you actually test your BG levels? Frequently, hypoglycemic symptoms come from more from rapid drops rather than truly being low BG. Someone can have BG that is over 100 and feel hypoglycemic because it dropped too rapidly from 200.

If you haven't measured with a glucometer and are only going by symptoms, I think you would be well served to measure. Glucometers are pretty cheap now and simple to use.

Here is a short article that is helpful if you have never used a glucometer before:

https://chriskresser.com/how-to-prevent-diabetes-and-heart-disease-for-16/

Definitely agree! Please test to be sure. If it's not truly low then you're perpetuating the very cycle that's causing the wild swings in the first place.
    Also, you can use something like smarties to correct actual hypos during IF. Fasting is the fastest way to fix the underlying issue causing them in the first place.

Just one note, BG of 100, which normal is below 100 for fasting, is only 5 g (I think, but it may be 4) of glucose in your blood, so you don't need to eat but 1 smarty to get more than enough sugar to fix a hypoglycemic event. You could even fix it with less than a mouthful of fruit juice, and that would resolve it faster than a smarty.

Absolutely agree!
    Treating an actual low, doesn't require a lot of glucose. You want to use the least possible to avoid starting the whole circle of events all over again.
    1.) test when feeling symptoms. If you're low...
    2.) eat a smarty or two depending on how low you are...
    3.) test again in 15 minutes. And go from there

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    IF and hypoglycemia are not mutually exclusive ...I started slowly...not all at once...just expanding my fasting window each day by 30 min or so to get to 16:8...however, after being on that for a few months, I find that my hypoglycemia is pretty much non-existent now...it's nice to be free of it because it was getting worse as I was getting older...not that I'm OLD or anything...
  • cedarsidefarm
    cedarsidefarm Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You sound like me. I lost 25 pounds last year and then the holidays came. I went high carb until January. In January I got serious again but have not lost a single pound. In fact I gained 5 pounds. But I did lose 2 inches off my waist and I look like a deflated balloon in certain parts.

I wish I had measured my arms and bust because I can tell I've lost inches there even though the scale is lying. So, you may want to examine other parts you didn't measure before and see if they have shrunk due to losing body fat. Clothes fitting loser is a good give away.

I've been telling myself it's my illnesses. I've been off and on antibiotics due to a an unknown foot infection. I stepped on a huge nail that went all the way through my foot back in July and it healed rapidly and easily. But there seems to be some grit left in there that got infected. So my foot had been swelling and I didn't notice until one day I couldn't walk. The first antibiotic was fine but I had a horrible reaction to the 2nd antibiotic the doctor gave me and I had to recover from that too. So, now my foot is pretty well healed and I get the flu. The stuffy nose, headache, sore throat, cough, ache all over flu, NOT the keto flu - I wish it was the keto flu, I know what to do about that. I'm still feeling pretty exhausted from it all.

I don't know anything that has worked so far. I just keep plugging away. I did discover that a low carb (4g total carbs) crescent almond cookie recipe that helped me get over my cravings and I've discovered a 3g total carb keto soft pretzel recipe that seems to keep me from being hungry. I tried some good low carb breads (Bob's Red Mill low carb bread mixes) but they seemed to stimulate my cravings instead of dampening them. I'll post a link to the useful recipes if you're interested.

If you find something that works please share. I would really like to see that damn scale move down.