Pounds back on

Options
TravellerRay
TravellerRay Posts: 94 Member
I know there are no stupid questions but this one may be close :). I read that you need to burn about 3000 calories to lose a pound of fat. My question is does the reverse hold true? Would I need to screw up by 3000 calories to put a pound back on?

Just one of those days when the scales are being nasty and I know I kept to the program. Except for a bag of almonds on a stressy day. I don't think 500 calories made a 2 pound sin.

Replies

• Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    3500 calories is a pound of fat. But there's also water weight. Often a small 'cheat' eg. too many carbs will cause you to retain water, which can translate into a 'big' jump on the scale the next morning. But it's just water, and it can vanish as quickly as it appeared.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Waaaaaaaaaaay more than fat loss or gain affects daily scale weight.

Try a weight averaging app like happy scale or libra weight to see weight trends better.
  • drosebud
    drosebud Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I also find that salty foods put more weight on, in the short term, than the actual calories would suggest. I use that Happy Scale app which smooths out the bumps and help me to mentally accept my weight chart ups and downs.
  • raventwo
    raventwo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I do a seven day average to get my weight - so don't let a single day get me too upset, though I prefer not to see a jump on any day :) The weight by average allows me to see small losses of 1/4 pound per week, which yes, in the past, has been how slow I can be.
    For me - salty, not enough water intake, can get me retaining water and cause swings up.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I posted in the Weigh In Wed thread about how on vacation I had a few beers and some chips and salsa and those kinds of carbs make me retain water. Scale was up 6 lbs. This am (2 days later) it's back down 4. There's a big differe between fat, muscle, and water gain. It can be hard to sort out. Recording my weight once a week only has helped me sort the differences.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Would once a month weight checks take most of the variability out of it?
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I've been maintaining for about 3 years and my weight varies daily by 0-4 pounds.

Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down. Up. Down.

500 extra calories won't do it unless you overeat everyday and never trim back. THEN you get chubby again.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I like weighing every day, makes it clear what's water etc. But I've never been obsessive about the number on the scale so for me it works, (I'm obsessive about PLENTY of other things, don't worry). I dont even have a goal weight. I have a clothing size I want back into. So it probably depends on each persons goals and hangups how frequently to weigh yourself.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like to weigh myself every day, but I generally look at a weekly average to compare monthly results.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Fat is slow, water is quick. Old CICO saying, and it applies to keto/LCHF as well. Just eat right and weigh again in a couple of days. Also if you work out harder than usual, best to stay off the scale for a couple of days as well.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    You dont have to weigh yourself everyday. You can weigh yourself monthly, weekly, bi-weekly anytime you want. Just keep doing it. You will see the results over time any way that makes sense for you.
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for an inverse relationship...LOL
    It is much easier to gain weight when you are not paying attention to what you are eating and much harder to lose weight when you do.
  • suzqtme
    suzqtme Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Would once a month weight checks take most of the variability out of it?

That's what I do. It has taken a lot of the psychological toll away from me. It has helped me keep the focus on doing what is healthy and letting the weight take care of itself. And if I am doing what I know to be healthy for me, then the weight does take care of itself and continues to trend down (albeit slowly as I am post meno).