Active April 2017 Challenge: Week 1 (4/1-4/7)

Options
baconslave
baconslave Posts: 6,948 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
It's Active April folks.
Time to get moving.
No need to make your "heart gargle in your throat." Unless that's what you're into. :wink:
Active April is about making your goal an improvement in your fitness. Whatever constitutes an improvement for YOU.

So whether you want to train for a 5k or 10k, start HIITing your head off, or just start exercising, period, it's all good.

There will be a sticky at the top of the group with a list of the weekly threads should our thread get buried in this (awesome) group.

Go ahead and post your goals.
Update us daily and receive encouragement and support from your compatriots in the challenge.
Go get it!

Replies

• baconslave
    Options
    So for me, I have a co-challenge. I have to do a food elimination this month. So I'll be mostly Paleo. If that doesn't uncover my issue, then I'll have to restrict further for an Autoimmune Protocol.

Anyway, my fitness challenge is to exercise every day. 3 days/week strength training and then walking or other gentle cardio. I'm usually all about hardcore, but this autoimmune thing, and the lack of sleep from it, isn't conducive to hard exercise.

I'll be back later to post my exercise.
    TTFN
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    @baconslave thanks for setting up this challenge!

Active April Shape Up Challenge Goals
    1. Eat between 20–30 g of carbs per day max
    2. Drink 6 to 8 cups of water per day
    3. Lift weights 3 to 4 times per week
    4. Swing kettle bell 6 to 7 times per week
    5. Walk six times per week
    6. Record daily
    7. Lose 6 to 8 pounds

SW 195
    4/1 137 lbs
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm trying to be a bit more specific with my goals, while still making them attainable. So my Active April goal is to use my hand weights every day...whether it be a few sets of bicep curls while watching past seasons of Archer...or doing some lunges. Maybe I can even incorporate them into some stair exercises when I have to walk up/down 2 flights to take the dogs outside.

I'm finding myself allowing a bit too much leniency lately (especially with calories), and that needs to stop. While I've been successful these first 2 months...I know now is the time when things are going to slow down weightloss wise...and I still have at least 40lbs to go. So I really want to try to buckle down food wise...while I am mostly restricting carbs (50g total daily), I'd like to keep my calories between 1500-1700 too, and there's been too many days where I've been in the 2000's.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    15 miles a week and 3 days of body weight work. I'm terrible about strength training. I just dont like it. But....I know its necessary. What better month to focus on it than Active April?!!
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    nikoba wrote: »
    I'm finding myself allowing a bit too much leniency lately (especially with calories), and that needs to stop. While I've been successful these first 2 months...I know now is the time when things are going to slow down weightloss wise...and I still have at least 40lbs to go. So I really want to try to buckle down food wise...while I am mostly restricting carbs (50g total daily), I'd like to keep my calories between 1500-1700 too, and there's been too many days where I've been in the 2000's.

You can do it! Don't quit!
    lb0wkhnlq732.jpg
  • keokagal
    keokagal Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    10,000 steps a day. Husband and I are on day 6 of 30 days Keto and no alcohol. I'm down 5 pounds, water weight but feels great. Husband lost 6. I have a frozen R shoulder and no appointment until mid April so I will google some PT exercises for that and start on my own. Peace.
  • elize7
    elize7 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Options
    Going to give this month's goal a chance...I was okay about two weeks of March...then nada.
    Same with Feb. So, Hopefully, third month will be the charm. Active April it is.

Goal will be the same as the two previous months, cuz that is what I want to develop as my habit:
    30 minutes daily - aerobic style.
    15 minutes stretches or weights. Bonus.

Moderate intensity. Not above counting total of weekly aerobics minutes if needed...but I really want this to become a "most days" habit. That is the real goal.

Will start tomorrow as I'm already down for the count, today. I'm not doing well. Feel profoundly discouraged and negative. But activity is supposed to help boost mood, so...I'll keep you posted. Never giving up.

• baconslave
    Options
    Almond butter is WEIRD. But I might get used to it. I started the Paleo-ish thing today. No gluten, no artificial sweeteners (not even gum....wahhhhhhh), no coffee, no dairy, no legumes. I do hope one of those are the culprit, because I might have to shave my head to avoid ripping my hair out if I have to go full AIP. This alone was a huge enough pain in the neck.

Annnnyway...
    Workout: Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds-3 mile. I add extra arm movements throughout, the walks and knee lifts are all moving, and I used 3lb weights instead of her 2lb.
  • eborda76
    eborda76 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I plan on starting my exercise routine again. 60 minutes of cardio, between the treadmill and bike 4x weekly. I need to start strength training too but not too sure where to start. I'll probably use a resistance band. I'll aim for 3x weekly for that.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    @baconslave. That whole no coffee thing scares me. I dont think its an exaggeration to say I'd probably die having to give it up. Good luck and I hope the diet helps!!
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Active April goals:
    P90x3 for exercise plus additional cardio, stretching, and ab ripper x
    Leangains for food plan, and for goodness sake get my protein up to three digits
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,108 Member
    Options
    4–1 this morning I did a kettle bell workout. During the afternoon I took two walks for a total of 6 miles. Then in the evening I did another kettle bell workout. My carbs and calories were good.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    This month's goals:

Finish Chalean Extreme. I have 4 workouts left. Then move to a new Beachbody program.

Strength train 2-3 days per week

Other exercise 2-3 days per week

Try to get at least one outdoor run or hike per week.

4/1: Did a Chalean strength training workout.

• SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

Calories I raised back up a bit, I'm not making an issue much with quantity, as much as quality. Keep it low carb, baby.

Worked hours today. Have a headache, upped the salt, but it could be sugar withdrawal in addition to sodium.

I feel the diuretic effects working their magic. Water's coming back off, gangbusters.

Happy days,my friends, happy days.
  • Ringbearer2
    Ringbearer2 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I am dedicating this month to finishing up C25K. I start week 5 (of eight) tomorrow. I have never been a runner but have always wanted to say I could run at least a mile, and I hope this helps. I'll never do a race (I think it would make me too anxious), but I want to feel like I could. :).
  • RedsGirl73
    RedsGirl73 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My goals for this month...
    1. Keep my carbs under 20.
    2. Train for my first 5k.
    3. Finish my Beachbody program I am currently doing.
    4. Drink a gallon of water everyday.
    5. To be happy in my own skin.
    Have a great day all! We got this! :)
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    My Active April goal is to do 540km on the bicycle (average 18km/day). While also meeting my carb & calorie goals of course.

I did 22km yesterday and 20km today, so the tally is 42/540. Good start and it gives me some extra km's in the bank for those days when I just don't feel it hehe.

Today is my weekly weigh-in day, and I'm down 4 pounds this week. A bit of a woosh and it was overdue hehe! It's a milestone too, because my 'to go' number has finally gone into double digits. 152 pounds lost, 98 more to go.

And today was also measurement day (that's every other month). I've lost 3 inches off my waist since February. About 19" total!! (my waist was about 70" to start, now 51".)

Needless to say, I'm feeling pretty darn good today! :smiley:
  • kkitchen96
    kkitchen96 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My goals are
    1) to keep my carbs 20-30 g
    2) Make sure i'm getting enough fats too (that's a big one for me)
    3) Eat more calories
This discussion has been closed.