hypothyroidism and iodine

Options
cstehansen
cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
I was listening to a Robb Wolf podcast and lunch where he was interviewing Dr. Michael Ruscio and this was one of the topics so I went to Dr. Ruscio's site to get more info. On it, he has a two part piece on the topic with a TON of references.

For those who have seen what I post, you know I generally take articles without proper references with a grain of salt. I require scientific research to really take something serious. This seems to pass the sniff test.

https://drruscio.com/podcast-thyroid-getting-truth-part-1/

I am not done getting through this as I am just reading bits of the transcript at a time as I have little breaks, but thought some in this group may find this helpful so I thought I would go ahead and pass it along.

@KnitOrMiss

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I looked at some of the research links... interesting stuff, but too little too late for me. :'(
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I'm digging in now. I know that when I was first diagnosed, iodine was the only thing that brought me symptom relief, but I had to be way over the acceptable levels. Since then, I've added in other paired support nutrients, and I'm feeling more well rounded, but they type of iodine I'd been using went up in cost, and so I tried a different type/blend. That is when all the issues that I've been having lately surfaced.

I haven't really gotten into all this, as I've been trying to get a handle on it, but my thyroid is enlarged, to the point i can feel it. I'm having swallowing struggles (mainly meds or really dry bites of food) and some issues breathing, but those both seem more likely related to reflux or an outside trigger (or maybe autoimmune escalation). After my hands started their burning/itching situation, @cstehansen - I dropped that supplement - they thyroid supplement that included iodine - and the issue seems to have resolved, but I'm not clear on which part of that supplement was the trigger. It could have been the B vitamins (overhauled that part of my supps), the additional selenium, the addition of copper to my zinc, the guggal, or anything, really.

I'm thinking I need to add back in the iodine, but I had a thyroid ultrasound today due to it being enlarged at my appointment with my new PCP. She's fairly anti-supplement. But, I think she'll be okay once she sees the results. TBD. However, I'm thinking I need to fire my current Endocrinologist. I know I posted this on my wall the other day for those who are on my friends list, but this is what he said in response to notifying him of my concerns about the enlargement and possible Hashi's.

Notified my Endo of the impending test tomorrow, and received the most discouraging response...

"That's fine, you can forward me those tests and I can review, but the truth is hashimoto's is the most common cause of thyroid disease, and it's managed the same as hypothyroidism, so we don't really do all that work up if it's not going to change anything, but it's okay to do it. The only think with hashimoto's is you just have to eat cleaner, less gluten and processed foods, but I already advised that for other issues."

Hangs head. *starts searching for new Endo*

So, the new PCP/DO has two Endos within her system, so I'm going to wait to see what she says when she gets the U/S results back.

As we all know NOW - or at least now learning, an autoimmune version of thyroid disorder would be treated completely differently than a non-autoimmune type, unless someone was going over and above on the non-autoimmune type, for safety reasons... I mentioned in the other thread (on my wall) that this Endo also never specifically mentioned gluten to me, just grains reductions - and we all know that if gluten is a true issue, you have to CUT IT OUT, not reduce it... This just left me so frustrated. I know I've been treating my conventionally trained Endocrinologist like a functional medicine Endocrinologist, and he'd been rising to the tasks more often that he wasn't, but I think I have now outgrown him. He was useful when I started, but he isn't even requiring his patients to take K2 with megadose D3...so I know he's not up on everything. (A mutual acquaintance and I discovered that we share this endo when talking about it in passing. She has Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, and to date, I have non-specific hypothyroidism. She isn't improving any, at last I heard. If he can't help her, he won't be able to help me. He might help me by supporting my own actions to help myself, but just about anyone could do that...)

Okay, so sorry to rant, there, went off track. By iodine did help me before. But I know it can be bad if I do have Hashi's...so I'm off to go read now. :)
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss - I can certainly understand your frustration, but if I am reading the post from the doc correctly, your issue may actually be exacerbated by the excess iodine. Perhaps the initial improvement was coincidental and not causal which is why it did not last.

Clearly, I am not a doctor, but I have been getting better and better at reading research.

The reason I was following up on this was the fact my iodine level was slightly low as was my free triiodothyronine so my doctor wanted me to supplement iodine.

Iodine was not the top item on my list of research topics after my appointment. Given my issues are primarily around BG control, this was just a small side topic in my mind. However, when I heard what he said to Robb Wolf, it piqued my curiosity. I am now thinking my supplementation may need to be in a smaller dosage given my levels were not super low but rather just below reference range for both.

I am set to go back to see the doc in a couple of months and will see where everything stands then. In the meantime, I know my BG has improved, although not sure it is enough to get below pre-diabetic range. It will be close, I think.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @cstehansen - I began supplementing the Iodine in 2013 or 2014. It's only recently, maybe in the last 6 months I made changes.

In May 2015, I felt great and was fully keto, right before I stalled out. My iodine was at 231, and the top of the range was 109. My endo told me he wasn't too worried as the body would dump excess, but he wanted me to bring it down some, if I could.

Switched to half pills. October 2015, my level was down to 182, and my symptom relief had reduced quite a bit, but my TSH had gone up so doc increased my T4 med. I decided to wait it out ,and since the iodine was still high, I dropped to half a pill every other day for a few weeks, then stopped altogether because it was annoying.

April 2016, my level was at 91.6, and I felt like total crap. This was when I went off keto for a while....after this result. I resumed supplementation at half dose, I think.

Somewhere in this timeframe is when I started adding in other things like the selenium, and right before the October tests, the zinc; and the tyrosine...and after October test was the ashwagandha...

October, 2016, I don't remember how I felt exactly, but that's when I fell back smack into the middle of SAD eating. Result was 178. Also around the time I ran out and switched supplements. Haven't had another test yet, but the dose in the new supplement was only one form (former med was 2 forms) and lower dose, from what I remember...but had cofactors...

But yes, I wasn't as worried about the high iodine, as Hashi's had been ruled out by negative antibodies tests, or so I'd thought. I downloaded the podcast and will try to read/listen...
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Oh jeez.....I take iodine. I wonder should I cut it out?
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I thought it was the ratio of selenium to iodine that was important.
    I get my selenium from brazil nuts and iodine from seaweed.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I don't take iodine for my thyroid and not on meds, but do take selenium & L-Tyrosine due to a couple of studies I read from 2007 last updated Dec 2013 to improve my thyroid antibody markers... so far over the past 11 months it has been working amazingly well (from 1108 U/ml to 407 last Oct), next testing is end of April to see if there is continued improvement. The ratio is important and we tend to get more iodine than is needed in the ratio, and much less selenium (kind of similar to the calcium/magnesium equation idea).
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Interesting PubMed site on 2009 study of subclassification of the two kinds of Hashi's: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19712131
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Dr. Amy Meyers said in a Supplement Q&A on her Facebook that she gives her Hashimoto's patients some iodine and they have no problem with it. Fwiw.
  • kdz0444
    kdz0444 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    My husband is hypothyroid and possibly hashi's due to some preliminary tests a doctor did. He is currently taking iodine and a multi mineral vitamin with selenium in it. He has also cut back on his synthroid. He has been feeling back to his normal self which is great. It's our goal to eventually get him off the medicine completely and use only natural methods to treat it. My grandmother does only natural methods to treat her hypothyroid and does it fairly well.
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Time for my Full blood panel and Thyroid tests.... went to the lab today and they took 4 vials out of me. Should be results in MyHealthPortal online in a couple days. I hope things are still on the improving trend.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @canadjineh - I wish you better luck than me. I can tell my levels are out of whack again. I feel like I'm not taking anything to help. Appointment and labs tomorrow, if the car will make it.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's. I was taking extra doses of Iodine because I thought it was good for me, turns out for me, it made me feel terrible. My neck was so sore and swollen and my dr told me to stop taking so much. I have stopped all together for about a month now. My lab numbers for iodine were so high I am embarrassed to even say how high they were! I am feeling better lately. I am learning a lot and trying lot by trial and error. Izabella Wentz has fantastic information about hypothyroidism with or without hashimoto's...especially if you are more into supplements and diet. I am currently reading her book and watched her documentary I found online a couple months ago.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @esaucier17 - My highest iodine was 212, and I felt fantastic. When it got DOWN to 190 something, I already felt like crap... But, since my dosage of thyroid meds have increased, I've stopped taking extra iodine...and in fact, have added selenium and tyrosine and feel decent most days. I follow many of the recommendations from Maria Emmerich, too, but I got a blend that made me feel terrible. Stopped that stuff, but still take Ashwagandha. Can't tell whether it helps or not, really, but it's supposed to be great for you...

My thyroid meds are off, though, I can tell. I'm all out of sorts. Staying up way too late because I can't sleep, having problems staying awake at work and other stuff... See my endo tomorrow, but since he told me he wouldn't treat Hashi's any differently (if discovered to be) than my non-specified hypo (as currently diagnosed), given that I just had to have an ultrasound for enlarged thyroid (among a ton of other symptoms despite being serum negative... I've got a second opinion in a few months....

I think I'm going to push to switch to NDT, but I don't want to feel even worse for 4-6 while changing.

I love Izabella and her programs, but I've not gotten any of the info that isn't free...as I can barely afford decent food ATM. Any suggestions you glean, I'd be thrilled to pick your brain! I'm tired of feeling bad, and there aren't any functional type docs in my area...and even if there were, I couldn't afford $400 per appt, etc.
  • esaucier17
    esaucier17 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @esaucier17 - My highest iodine was 212, and I felt fantastic. When it got DOWN to 190 something, I already felt like crap... But, since my dosage of thyroid meds have increased, I've stopped taking extra iodine...and in fact, have added selenium and tyrosine and feel decent most days. I follow many of the recommendations from Maria Emmerich, too, but I got a blend that made me feel terrible. Stopped that stuff, but still take Ashwagandha. Can't tell whether it helps or not, really, but it's supposed to be great for you...

My thyroid meds are off, though, I can tell. I'm all out of sorts. Staying up way too late because I can't sleep, having problems staying awake at work and other stuff... See my endo tomorrow, but since he told me he wouldn't treat Hashi's any differently (if discovered to be) than my non-specified hypo (as currently diagnosed), given that I just had to have an ultrasound for enlarged thyroid (among a ton of other symptoms despite being serum negative... I've got a second opinion in a few months....

I think I'm going to push to switch to NDT, but I don't want to feel even worse for 4-6 while changing.

I love Izabella and her programs, but I've not gotten any of the info that isn't free...as I can barely afford decent food ATM. Any suggestions you glean, I'd be thrilled to pick your brain! I'm tired of feeling bad, and there aren't any functional type docs in my area...and even if there were, I couldn't afford $400 per appt, etc.

I switched to Armour a little over a month ago. I have been feeling a lot better. It's worth it to go through getting your body adjusted. I also take Selenium. I need to look into Tyrosine and Ashwagandha. I randomly found Izabella's series pop up on my Facebook and she had a 9 episode showing for free. Trust me I wouldn't pay to watch. And my mom bought me her book :wink:

I am still learning a lot. I take a slew of supplements but they do help me feel better. I hope you can get your Dr. or the new one to listen to you and get your meds right and treat you properly. You know when they are off. I have gone off sugar, gluten, dairy and soy and I feel so much better. I might start to add aged dairy cheeses since they have a lot less lactose and see how I do. I shop at Aldi...do you have one? They have a lot of organic foods at great prices. It saves me a lot of money. There is one functional medicine dr in our town but they don't take insurance and I can't afford that either!

I can learn what I need to about diet and supplements mostly on my own. I know my body. But there is still a lot I don't know. It's a process.

• canadjineh
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss, how did it go?
    Found a great set of blogs from Dr. Westin Childs (Functional Medicine Doctor) - here's more info on him and links to his Youtube channel and podcasts: https://restartmed.com/about/
    His information is free, simple to understand, full of PubMed and MedScape references & studies you can click to, bullet points on step by step accessible changes to make for improvement.
    He specializes in Thyroid issues.
    Very interesting info on how prevalent Type III Polyglandular Autoimmune Syndrome is in those with Hashi's and/or Celiac Disease: https://www.restartmed.com/hashimotos-gluten/

General good news all around for my bloodwork!
    Pretty well everything in healthy optimal ranges, no deficiencies; only issues remaining are higher than normal Thyroid PeroxAb (now at 328 U/ml), and a FT3 that seems a little low (it has dropped at each test from 1.5 yrs ago from 4.3 to 3.9 pmol/L)

I'm not unhappy with the TPoAb as it is down 19% in the last 6 months. Last 3 tests show it starting at 1108, then 407, now 328.... a good trend. I'll continue with the Selenium and L-Tyrosine to see if I can get it down some more. Not sure what to do about the FT3 yet. I'll have to do a bit more digging....was in a 4 hour rabbit hole this morning.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    @canadjineh - He agreed to put me on Armour, which I started on Saturday. Mostly feeling pretty good, which is great, since I took only the first dose of my meds on Friday, not the second and third, and I felt like a darned zombie. It was awful! But, I backed off the tyrosine for a couple days to ease the transition, but will probably start it back up again tomorrow.

Doc opted not to do bloodwork, presumably to save me money, since he was assigning an Armour dose as an educated guess, and he wants me to go do labs in 4 weeks, and he'll adjust dosage from there. However, he did want to increase my Glucophage dosage to twice a day, but it doubled my co-pay, so I'm having to hold off there...could take a few months for it to get approved (appeal with insurance), and since I cannot tolerate metformin seemingly AT ALL, I'm static there for now.

The FT3 number was why we added the T3 medication separately...and I know it can be taken with Armour, but I'm hoping we don't have to do that. I was alarmed at the number of medications that include gluten!!! I hadn't realized that anything with added magnesium stearate was GLUTENED!!!! I still don't have a "formal" Hashi's diagnosis or dismissal of ... so I'm going to proceed as if I do have it, once I get my head straight, because that protocol can't cause unspecified type to worsen, as far as I can tell...

The FT3 generally means your body isn't converting the T4 to T3... I think Tyrosine was one thing that helped conversion. I'll have to look back at Maria Emmerich's book and see if that's where I read it...