Options
2»

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    40footalfa wrote: »
    What is OP?

Ah, the gentle original poster. Please 4gv the vlgr use of abbrvtns!
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    If you are used to lots of pasta, then make zoodles (zucchini noodles). You can cut them by hand, but buying a spiralizer is worth it. You can use it on other veggies as well.

Also spaghetti squash is a great option and easy to make in the oven.

Both of these taste as good or better than regular pasta once you add sauce of choice (be careful about carbs/sugars in sauce).

In the produce section at Walmart, there are shirataki noodles that are very cheap and have 0 net carbs. The brand is Pasta Zero. The texture is not the same as regular pasta, but I think it is a good option. There is a more expensive option called Miracle Noodles, but I don't see the point in spending the extra $ for those.

Oh I love the pasta zero! But 1 tip after you rinse them. Before you cook them cut them up. I make "chicken noodle soup" with them and fight with the noodles being in a knot.
  • DianaElena76
    DianaElena76 Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    I feed my family of 5 for less than $100 a week by shopping at Aldi and meal planning. We are meat eaters (and the kids and hubby are carbivores), so I try to do meal planning and focus on one type of meat each week and buy it in bulk. For example, one week I made all ground beef dinners, the next week I made all chicken dinners, etc. Tuna salad, chicken salad made from canned chunk chicken breast, and egg salad all make great lunches, with some pickles, celery, or lettuce for crunch. Eggs are super versatile too! I love the egg fast diet meal plan recipes on the I Breathe I'm Hungry food blog! You can also do some cheaper swaps. For example, if I'm making a recipe that calls for ground beef, I can sub ground turkey, which is cheaper at my local Aldi. Or if a recipe calls for shallots and all I have are onions, there you go. I substitute a lot. There are some awesome soups like Chile Relleno soup (which has chicken but could be just as delicious without it) or Jalapeno Popper soup (which could be made without the bacon). Also, I know it's not super cheap, but some veggie burgers aren't too bad on carbs if you like them and can find them locally. I'm in Texas too (Houston area), and groceries are so much cheaper here than other parts of the country, so I'm grateful for that! I find that meal planning and carefully constructing my grocery list to maximize everything I purchase saves me quite a bit of money.
  • melbybs1
    melbybs1 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    One thing I forgot about Aldi's is the frozen wild caught salmon for under $4/lb. Wild caught salmon - salmon in general- didn't used to be on my menu much due to cost. This makes it totally affordable to at least do occasionally. Also frozen for those of us far from the coast is actually fresher than the fresh stuff because it is frozen on site generally.

I had some wild caught salmon from Aldi's for dinner tonight. I poached it in Kerrygold butter with garlic and ate it with a side of broccoli (over which I poured some of the garlic butter). It's such a delicious bargain!
  • VKetoV
    VKetoV Posts: 111 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've lived off of cabbage, EVOO, & whole eggs as a broke college student nearing the end of the semester. Keep protein to a minimal for cutting expenses (also more traditional keto); whey concentrate could be a cheap alternative to use as well based on what type of vegetarian you define yourself as (lacto-, pesca-, ova-, combo, etc.)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    melbybs1 wrote: »
    ....I had some wild caught salmon from Aldi's for dinner tonight. I poached it in Kerrygold butter with garlic and ate it with a side of broccoli (over which I poured some of the garlic butter). It's such a delicious bargain!

Just as an aside, we used to have an advertising campaign here in the UK, for Kerrygold butter, the last line of which, ran, "Please don't cook with Kerrygold..." Still makes me smile!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    melbybs1 wrote: »
    ....I had some wild caught salmon from Aldi's for dinner tonight. I poached it in Kerrygold butter with garlic and ate it with a side of broccoli (over which I poured some of the garlic butter). It's such a delicious bargain!

Just as an aside, we used to have an advertising campaign here in the UK, for Kerrygold butter, the last line of which, ran, "Please don't cook with Kerrygold..." Still makes me smile!

Why would you not want to cook with Kerrygold? How are my omelets supposed to taste good if there isn't some Kerrygold in the pan?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I Know, right...?!