To eat, or not to eat? Help!

Options
Hello everyone and thanks for reading! I am currently on week 6 of a cheat - free keto diet and let me just say I feel great! I'll provide you all with some general info: I am 5'9" and my SW was 269, and my CW is 245! I am so happy with my 24 lb loss so far! My loss has definitely slowed quite a bit which I know is normal especially after losing all of that water weight at first. I stay under 20g of net carbs per day, drink plenty of water, and try to include as many veggies in my diet as possible. I use keto stix every few days just to make sure I am still in ketosis and it has been consistently purple so I feel pretty confident that I am in ketosis.

Here is my concern: Some days I am just not hungry! I used the keto calculator to customize my macros and although I always stay under 20g of net carbs I find that it is hard to meet my protein goal. I am easily able to get enough fat in thanks to BPC, but I get so full that I find it hard to eat to meat the protein requirement. So some days I just stop eating for the rest of the day. Is it imperative to meet my macros or is it OK to stop eating if i am full? Could this be affecting my progress? I really don't want to be "skinny fat" from losing too much muscle mass. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Keep calm and keto on! :)

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Ah the same questions I had for sure! If you are not hungry, dont eat. Your in essence fasting and fasting is when your body will turn to body fat for fuel, once you do get hungry eat at the macros you set - so you do get enough protein, not many carbs, and plenty of healthy fat. Good Luck! Once you get the science down with the WOE it gets easier better and results are great!
  • oliviaforthewin
    oliviaforthewin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    @RalfLott I will try taking it easy with the BPC as it definitely making a dent in my appetite. I am guilty of having up to 2 per day so that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your input!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @RalfLott I will try taking it easy with the BPC as it definitely making a dent in my appetite. I am guilty of having up to 2 per day so that makes a lot of sense. Thank you for your input!

I feel your pain - sardines just don't blend the way cream and butter do! (Maybe beating the tar out of 2 tbsp. of cream and adding some vanilla extract + stevia to your coffee would keep the devil at bay?)
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and thanks for reading! I am currently on week 6 of a cheat - free keto diet and let me just say I feel great! I'll provide you all with some general info: I am 5'9" and my SW was 269, and my CW is 245! I am so happy with my 24 lb loss so far! My loss has definitely slowed quite a bit which I know is normal especially after losing all of that water weight at first. I stay under 20g of net carbs per day, drink plenty of water, and try to include as many veggies in my diet as possible. I use keto stix every few days just to make sure I am still in ketosis and it has been consistently purple so I feel pretty confident that I am in ketosis.

Here is my concern: Some days I am just not hungry! I used the keto calculator to customize my macros and although I always stay under 20g of net carbs I find that it is hard to meet my protein goal. I am easily able to get enough fat in thanks to BPC, but I get so full that I find it hard to eat to meat the protein requirement. So some days I just stop eating for the rest of the day. Is it imperative to meet my macros or is it OK to stop eating if i am full? Could this be affecting my progress? I really don't want to be "skinny fat" from losing too much muscle mass. Any advice or help is greatly appreciated!

Keep calm and keto on! :)

There will be days when you are just not that hungry, don't eat anymore.
    There will come days when you want to eat all the foods. I think this is a sign you are getting in touch with your body's needs. And I think of that as a good thing.
    You might want to check out the threads in the launchpad about IF.

As RalfLott mentioned use that portable pantry you carry around.
  • poli22
    poli22 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    The fat is stored in our bodies to be used as fuel when we cannot eat, so use it. Our bodies are too smart to use muscle for fuel when there is fat to be used. That is what it was put there for, so if you are not hungry, don't eat and use the fat that is stored in the pantry.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    poli22 wrote: »
    The fat is stored in our bodies to be used as fuel when we cannot eat, so use it. Our bodies are too smart to use muscle for fuel when there is fat to be used. That is what it was put there for, so if you are not hungry, don't eat and use the fat that is stored in the pantry.

Doesn't quite work that way....

Even in ketosis (or starvation), your body still needs some glucose for certain functions, and it can prestidigitate it from stored protein but not from fat. So you still need to consume some protein, maybe 80-100g on average.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10395995/of-calories-or-not-it-s-a-high-protein-diet-or-it-should-be#latest
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I would choose a protein minimum and make sure you hit that, even if it means lowering hte fat a little. (Don't feel like you need to eat *all* your calories, but you don't want protein to be overly low.) A rule of thumb some of us here follow it to view carbs as a maximum, protein as a minimum goal and fill in the rest with fats (to satiety).
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    We have two great tools that people forget about. Hunger and saity. Learn what they really feel like and use them. Someone with many pounds to lose won't lose any muscle skipping a few meals. That's a problem for body builders cutting to get ripped!

Cheers
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    You could replace your second bpc with a Keto protein shake! I've seen people talk about a chocolate one before though I've never tried it. Protein shakes always tasted like a vitamin drink to me and those make me gag. I've been considering trying some sort of Keto protein drink soon, so if you do try it please make a post and review!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Bpc will be your friend when you need to stop losing weight. If your goal is losing body fat then just skip it.
    Protein is waaaaaaaay more important for long term overall best metabolic health. Lose a bunch of muscle now because you're too full from barely nutritive fatty coffee and all you gain is a lower BMR... long term weight maintenance becomes more challenging or continued weight loss for that matter.
    The only other reason to drink bpc besides slowing fat loss would be to boost blood ketones for therapeutic reasons such as treatment of epilepsy for example.
    Ditch it. If you feel the need for breakfast have some eggs. Otherwise drink black coffee or use minimal half n half and continue fasting until later in the day.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Along the same lines as @Sunny_Bunny_ is saying, you may want to skip the BPC. The main thing I would say is, focus on eating real food. Consuming fat just for the sake of getting fat is not really a good idea. If you focus on eating real food first, you shouldn't have any issues getting enough protein.

Beyond that, if you aren't hungry, don't eat. I promise you won't starve to death. ;)
  • stacymarie01
    stacymarie01 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Stupid question...what is BPC???
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Not stupid.
    Bullet proof coffee
  • oliviaforthewin
    oliviaforthewin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    thanks for all the information guys! Today I skipped the BPC in the morning and was easily able to meet my protein goal! Woohoo!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Ha - Victory!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

Certainly not a stupid question! I had to look it up too!
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Begin Pounding Calories?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Basically, Prohibit Carbs.