Any Low Carb/ High Fat PCOS Cysters Out there?

Options
2»

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I lost some weight in the first 3 months, but I've regained 40 in less than 2 years...because my thyroid went on the fritz with keto. Still fighting my wait back with a new plan. I don't just have insulin resistance, but also cellular energy resistance, which means ketones, too... I flat out refuse to eat that little. 1000-1200 calories will permanently damage my own personal metabolism. But I don't lose right now at all...so....yeah... I'm on the eat as healthy as possible but don't get any worse plan atm...

Actually the dietitian I went to told me that she has to put almost all her hypothyroid patients on near-starvation diets for them just to lose weight, so I feel your pain @Kindone. My test showed a RMR of 1890, but...yeah... It is what it is.
  • abearinmychair
    abearinmychair Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi I've also got PCOS and I've lost 30lbs in the course of a year and maybe 2 months. Honestly, diets haven't been working for me. I had very mild success with dropping bread and grains from my diet and I'm now trying keto. Also I tend to pig out when I'm mad or sad, so diet fail. What's been helping me is weight training at least 3-4 times a week in the past year. I hate cardio so I never do more than jog for a while or do the elliptical for 30 min, so I think it's all weight training that got me the results. I'm hoping keto is going to help but I've only been doing it for 3 weeks and I've only lost 1lb. My boyfriend doesn't think we're doing it right-thinks we need more potassium, magnesium, and sodium in our diets. Here's to trying!
  • MARoosa
    MARoosa Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    PCOS and hypothyroidism here... Just starting the low carb/keto way of eating. I've only lost a couple pounds but overall feeling better and not so bloated.
    Would love more friends to add and help each other.
  • rnrjohns
    rnrjohns Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! I was told just yesterday that I have hypothyroidism
  • jessahunter89
    jessahunter89 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Started keto two weeks ago, I too have PCOS! 7lbs down as of today
  • meli_818
    meli_818 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS and have no idea how to start losing weight while having it, super nervous on how to start. Any suggestions? Anything helps! M
  • indianbeauty24
    indianbeauty24 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I just got diagnosed with that yesterday as well :( add me as a friend we can chat ! Maybe help each other out.
  • Aclaire88
    Aclaire88 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    meli_818 wrote: »
    I have PCOS and have no idea how to start losing weight while having it, super nervous on how to start. Any suggestions? Anything helps! M

@meli_818 I have lean PCOS w Prediabetes and I'm very careful with what I eat, I don't eat pre prepared or packaged food and my diet is high fiber & low GI, I'm also vegan for ethical & environmental reasons but it helps. I keep my calories around 1000 and exercise daily for at least 30 min, mix of cardio & weight bearing. I put on 23kg over 2 years when It first appeared in my early 20's, prior to that I was considered underweight for my teenage and early adult years. Now i maintain a healthy weight but having impaired glucose tolerance doesn't make it easy. If you have access to one, go see a Dietician! They are very helpful.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    meli_818 wrote: »

In general, lowering carbs and increasing fats tends to work well for most (not all, as you can see from various threads here) women with PCOS. Worth a try. You could start with dropping carbs to 100 gm/day or so.
  • HonduranHaze
    HonduranHaze Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am happy to find this thread and all the other threads about PCOS. I was told years ago that I had PCOS, and the doc put me on the pill. I was young and had moved out of the country and the effects were adverse so I stopped taking it.

Fast forward 15 years later...about 5 years ago I lost 46 pounds, gained about half of that back. Two years ago I stopped eating most dairy and grains. This year I made a commitment to lose what I gained back and more! I've been biking about 60 miles a week and walking at least 5.

I am looking to improve my health and wellness! My dad is diabetic, stage 4 renal failure, morbidly obese, and taking 10+ medications a day. I don't want to end up like that!!!
  • jonesygetshealthy
    jonesygetshealthy Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to add, I find that I can't stay in ketosis unless I keep my net carbs under 20g per day. Even going to 25 or 30g will knock me off the path, and I get the ketoflu for a good 5 days so I have to be ultra careful. This diet really gives me energy. I'm alert and awake... but I'm also sleeping better at night!!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @jonesygetshealthy - The keto flu is a myth. It is 100% avoidable. It is generally caused by low sodium, and then magnesium deficiency, and then potassium deficiency (which are a cascading failure system). Supplement the suggested 5000 MG of sodium a day to replace what you have lost. Drinking extra water without supplementing the sodium will worsen the situation, and in fact, can lead to dehydration severe enough to land you in the hospital.
  • Liadin123
    Liadin123 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I've had PCOS for many years, the only success I've ever had is on a low carb diet. I did a Low Carb/Low Fat type thing a few years ago with success but it was way to difficult to maintain and I was hungry alllllll the freakin time. Craved sweets constantly. I gained the weight back of course. Now trying the LCHF type thing and so far finding it far easier - the fat really does help with satiety. Happy to see a PCOS support group and folks trying the Low Carb thing here - and others who have had success with it. I'm hoping to reverse Diabetes (2), and lose weight - but thankfully, the first go around of weight loss seems to have sustained a somewhat normal cycle - so at least I have that! Not sure how... but I'll take what I can get with PCOS. :)