How crappy should I feel?

Options
bluelemonegg
bluelemonegg Posts: 15 Member
I've been on keto since mid February, and have lost about 16 pounds. A couple of days ago I couldn't help myself and I ate some corn chips. The next day I felt awful. My skin felt super sensitive, I was achy, I was nauseous. I had trouble sleeping it was so uncomfortable. That was yesterday. Today I decided to do a steak day to try to reset. I feel so awful I didn't even want to get out of bed. I suppose it could be that I have a bad reaction to corn, because it doesn't seem like I treated myself to a huge carb bomb.

This is worse than the first week. I don't even know if I want to eat steak tonight to finish off my steak day. I've been drinking water all day of course, but haven't eaten anything else.

Has anyone else had any kind of reaction like this to "cheating"? I've slipped a couple of times, but never had this kind of reaction. :-(

Replies

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    It's actually an incredibly common reaction
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    @Sunny_Bunny_ It looks like your response got cut off?
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    @Sunny_Bunny_ It looks like your response got cut off?

Oh geez!

Well, just imagine I very eloquently encouraged you to keep the course and all will be well again.
    And this response is what keeps many people from having any cheats at all. But it doesn't seem to happen to everyone. Must be something inflammatory in it for you.
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    Yes, definitely if I'd known how awful I would feel I would not have had those delicious corn chips.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    I had to give up corn. I use chicharonnes in nachos, with guacamole, any place I used use corn chips. Hope you are over your reaction. Sometimes being away from something that inflames you, when you go back to it, it really kicks your butt. Been there, done that.

• bluelemonegg
    Options
    Yeah...my doctor said that sometimes the things that you think are the most delicious are the things that are with the worst for you. I love corn chips and popcorn. I definitely don't like this reaction though.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    This Happened to me with popcorn.
    I had a planned cheat day, at the movies with my best friend. We were going to have popcorn and candy and wine... so I carb fasted the day before and had my movie cheat snack!...... then I felt like hell for 48 hours. It made my insides feel like total *kitten*! I won't be doing that ever again!!! Not worth it!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @bluelemonegg - If you haven't yet read through our group's stickies on Low Sodium and the LCD Launch Pad, now might be a great time!
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    I'm still feeling pretty awful this morning. I even threw up my normal breakfast protein shake. :( This is just awful. If it was the corn chips, I'm cured of that craving forever I think.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I'm still feeling pretty awful this morning. I even threw up my normal breakfast protein shake. :( This is just awful. If it was the corn chips, I'm cured of that craving forever I think.

I broke my cravings for popcorn about 3 weeks ago by eating a bunch at the movies with my daughter. Felt bloated and crappy and my face broke out like a teenager. I feel much better now and my face is almost clear again. The upside is craving for popcorn is now 100% gone.
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    I guess corn is a danger zone for many of us.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I haven't been to the danger zone... and judging by remarks here, I'm best advised to just not even go there! I hope everyone feels better...
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bluelemonegg - It could be the fatty salty with a hint of sweet that appeals to you most. Have you tried to recreate that combination in a corn free environment?
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    It's definitely the salty crunchy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @bluelemonegg - Have you tried making cheese crisps yet? I like doing them in the microwave, as they get...fluffier? After they're out, I add popcorn seasoning, generally ranch. They're better than doritos or popcorn or corn chips (which give me horrible heartburn - probably the peanut oil, etc.)... :)
  • ccrdragon
    ccrdragon Posts: 3,370 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've not had that reaction to corn/wheat, but I do have that reaction to overloads of sugar... Last week was my birthday and I had 2 cupcakes (with frosting) to celebrate - had a massive headache before I even made it to bed that night and woke up the next morning with a hangover (and hadn't had a single drink the night before). Lesson learned - no more sugar bombs for me!!
  • bluelemonegg
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @bluelemonegg - Have you tried making cheese crisps yet? I like doing them in the microwave, as they get...fluffier? After they're out, I add popcorn seasoning, generally ranch. They're better than doritos or popcorn or corn chips (which give me horrible heartburn - probably the peanut oil, etc.)... :)

No-- something to try!

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Another thought... are these corn chips just corn, salt and oil for frying, or are there any 'suspect' seasonings on them? ... MSG affects me HUGELY.
    I am also a fan of dry salty crunchy. My weakness is Que Pasa Organic Blue tortilla chips. OMG!