New to keto

Options
brendasteve
brendasteve Posts: 23 Member
I'm a month in to keto and lost 7 lbs, I think I'm eating to much and really menu challenged, can anyone share with me an example of what a day looks like? And does anyone drink bullet proof coffee?

Replies

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    Friend me and you can glare at my food diary. I don't drink the bullet proof coffee. For a long time I was having coconut oil in my first cup of the day, but I have switched to heavy whipping cream for the most part.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    7 lbs in 1 month? I'd call that "success!"
  • Catawampous
    Catawampous Posts: 447 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Welcome and congrats on the weight loss! Well done!

I don't drink BPC. Messing with my coffee agitates me! ;)

There's a great thread on here showing people's meals along with recipes for a good portion of them. I found it very helpful when I started.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Welcome!

Do not fall into the trap of thinking you must consume more fat. Keep carbs at/below your goal. Get at least your minimum protein. Eat fat only to satiety. If you are trying to lose weight, which it sounds like you are, your body will pull needed fat from your body.

As for menu ideas, there are many recipe links in the launch pad:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Also, these are a few good threads you may find inspiring:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10535785/post-your-keto-dinner-pics#latest

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10274397/what-does-your-low-carb-meals-look-like#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10511502/lower-carb-on-a-shoestring#latest

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10531263/the-ultimate-keto-food-list-for-1st-2-weeks#latest

These threads may not have actual recipes, but they have enough info to give you some really good ideas.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    I think it sounds like you are doing fine! 7 lbs. is really good! Here is a run down of what I had yesterday:

B-Coffee w/ cream and collagen.
    L-2 double cheeseburgers, no bun. Iced coffee w/ cream.
    D-Ribeye with cauliflower mac & cheese.
    S-Halo Top ice cream and a spoonful of peanut butter

I actually do not have bulletproof coffee. Mainly because I'm lazy and I barely leave time to dump in some cream and my collagen in my morning coffee. Also I hate coconut oil. Just thinking of the coffees I've had with it make me nauseated. I have used MCT oil and it's good...just not worth the time it takes for me. Plus I really like the taste of coffee and cream better.
  • WG_Keto
    WG_Keto Posts: 33 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss!

I don't know about bullet proof coffee. I just put a tsp of cream, and a couple drops liquid stevia in mine no issues staying in Ketosis.

Breakfast example:I'll have like 3-4strips of bacon and half an avacado w/ 1oz cream cheese. Or 2-3 scrambled eggs w/ 3oz sausage. Just depends
    Lunch: Lunch might be lighter, 2oz of cheese, some olives or nuts, with a deli meat slice or 2.
    Dinner Dinner I'll have 4-5oz of a fatty meat(porks good) if I have a leaner type of meat like steak I always get the fattier version like a ribeye. Then I'll have a 1/2 cup veggies like cauliflower or sometimes oven roasted Brussel sprouts.

The the key for me is to add butter/avacado oil/olive oil/etc to my foods to maintain a higher fat ratio. I've fell into a pattern where I kinda know my body and what will knock me out of keto.
    I'm usually good as long as I stay under 30carbs daily and away from sugar.

Don't worry so much about how much your eating once you really get into ketosis your appetite will be greatly suppressed. I probably eat half the volume of food I used to and am satisfied. Some days I have difficulty meeting my caloric goals.

Good luck :smile:
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    My meals yesterday were:
    B: 2 scrambled eggs with 2 tbsp of shredded cheese and 1/4 cup of sausage crumbles
    L: half an avocado w/salt&pepper, 3 sandwich size pepperoni slices with shredded cheddar melted on top, 2 mini bell peppers sliced in half with cream cheese
    Snack: 2 BabyBell mini cheeses
    D: half an avocado w/salt&pepper, pork rinds, 2 slices bacon
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    D: half an avocado w/salt&pepper, pork rinds, 2 slices bacon

That emoji is supposed to be D : lol
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    20 or less carbs a day is working for me.

As of this morning I am down 30lbs since Jan 1st and I'm not done by a long shot yet! I did have a stall for a couple of week so I decided to track my calories here and start C25K at the gym. Got my weight loss right back on track. :smile:

Oh and 7lbs in a month is a good thing! Congrats!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to the public so knock yourself out snooping. Also please understand that I cook and prepare 90-95% of the food logged including the goodies / sweets / treats so technically they are healthy too (even if my mouth doesn't believe it! LOL). I don't drink BP Coffee or even coffee really for that matter. 7 pounds in 1 month is great. The general public would probably say that you are losing weight "too fast" or being "too aggressive" but 7 pounds is good for Keto/LCHF.
  • motorcyclekopp
    motorcyclekopp Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love bullet proof coffee. Some days I have it multiple times a day. Only thing is that I use salted butter instead of unsalted. It's probably THE BEST thing that I've discovered since starting Keto.
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I've lost 16 lbs in just over a month, you can look at my diary. I warn you I'm very boring.. Don't have the funds or energy for fancy stuff :p
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love bullet proof coffee. Some days I have it multiple times a day. Only thing is that I use salted butter instead of unsalted. It's probably THE BEST thing that I've discovered since starting Keto.

Yup. Cant wait to get my purpose-made shaker - then I can make it at work, too; up to now, I've just had a hand-held whizzy-blender stick, which is kind of awkward to carry around, and not all that handy if you're not near a socket.... :D
  • brendasteve
    brendasteve Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the great tips!

You're so on your way! ;)