Too much protein

Options
I'm not finding a good balance here. My macros will show I'm over my protein % for the day (like I'll be at 26% instead of 20%). Will this throw me out of ketosis? Is it fine as long as I meet my fat goal as well? I stay under my carb goal. I'm just so new still and not good at making my diet more fatty.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Did you use a calculator like this one:
    https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

You need .8 to 1.g per lb for each lb. of LBM. Concentrate more on the grams than % is the advice I have been given.

If you are keeping carbs at or below 20 grams per day you should stay in ketosis fairly easily.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Are you treating a medical condition with keto or just using for weight loss?
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options

For weight loss
  • gracerichter3213
    gracerichter3213 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! You're awesome
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    FYI, Marty Kendall's Optimising Nutrition is a *great* resource for thinking about how to best use your available calories for max nutritional bang for the buck, depending on your goals.

• Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    FYI, Marty Kendall's Optimising Nutrition is a *great* resource for thinking about how to best use your available calories for max nutritional bang for the buck, depending on your goals.

Agreed! Optimizing nutrition is fantastic!
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the source of some of those illuminating charts you like to post...
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options

For weight loss

Ok. Then I'd advise you not worry about protein and don't stress teaching the "goal".

Carbs are a limit.
    Protein is a MINIMUM GOAL to reach
    Fat is a lever to increase or lower to create or close a caloric deficit.

If you're not diabetic or at least moderately insulin resistant, you don't need to worry about limiting protein.

@Sunny_Bunny_ , you are fast becoming my 'go to' for info... a LCHF Nutrition Guru! ;):D )
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I have a sneaking suspicion it might be the source of some of those illuminating charts you like to post...

Shhhhhh! Don't tell all my secrets!
    And Mike Julian from that group (and others) is my pal since he rescued me from meanies on another site. Lol
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Of course, there are no meanies, on any other site, anywhere. At All. Ever. Nope.
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options

If you're not diabetic or at least moderately insulin resistant, you don't need to worry about limiting protein.

Could you point me to some resources for a T2D and protein?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    For starters.....

Phinney and Volek (either New Atkins For New You or Art & Science of Low Carbohydrate Living);

Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution;

Marty Kendall's Optimising Nutrition, which has guides for specialized LC diets. (He has proposed an insulin index = net carbs +. 56 protein);

Chris Kresser's website, which also has good LC resources on T2D.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »

Could you point me to some resources for a T2D and protein?

I honestly believe you cannot get better information that from Dr Bernstein.
    This doesn't tell you how much to eat but you can see he thinks protein is quite important. If you join his Facebook page they are crazy helpful and you'll quickly see they refer to his diet as low carb high protein but to be honest it really appears to be LCHF without the butter coffee, fat bomb, chasing ketones idea that some groups focus on. That kind of added fat is what they think of if you use the term low carb high fat over there, so just FYI if you do check them. Leave the words high fat off any description or they will quickly correct you. ;)
    But it honestly seems to be moderate protein to me where really making sure to reach that minimum amount every day is the goal.
    They don't chase ketones. They chase non diabetic blood sugars.
    They definitely advocate strength or resistance training for improving insulin sensitivity too. But many can only get in short walks and it seems to work very well.
    If you don't have his book I'd definitely check it out.
    http://www.diabetes-book.com/protein-fat/
    Lots of stuff on YouTube too. I know there's a lot of T1D that doesn't apply the same but the FB group has a lot, definitely more T2D's than anything.
  • RalfLott
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yep, Dr. Bernstein hates the idea of LCHF. He is fine with ketosis, but as @Sunny_Bunny_ points out, it is not a fat-added diet. He describes it as VLCHP, with whatever fat comes along with high-quality protein.

Like Dr. Bernstein, Phinney and Volek also admonish getting enough protein to avoid muscle loss; to my mind, their YT vids are a bit more focused than Dr. Bernstein's. They recommend 100-150g of protein for an active person weighing in the 150-165 ranige.

A lengthy introductory interview is divided into short segments by topic on the JumpstartMD YouTube channel.

• 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,611 Member
    Options
    I will take a look - thanks. I have to be really intentional to get my protein at my goal, and I have wondered how important it was.