too much protein

Options
carine0502
carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
Hey my low-carber friends!

I have a question about macros and how to keep them correct. I'm supposed to keep my proteins around 50-60g a day (1m63 for 52/53kg) and I always end up with twice as much. So I'm afraid this is not good!

All the LCHF recipes I gather are always meat/fish/egg based so filled with a lot of proteins.

can you give me examples of menus to keep proteins relatively low?

thanks a lot

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Actually, your recommended amount seems rather low, and 100-120g per day is a better range, unless you need to specifically limit your protein for medical reasons. What is your calorie goal and what are your macros?

To compare, at 29 and 5'9", I get 1800-2000 calories per day. In that, my protein generally runs between 120 and 160g, fat between 100 and 150g, and carbs between 0 and 25g.

That said, to keep your protein from going way high, be sure to eat fatty meats and/or add fat to lean meats. Full fat mayo to tuna, skin on chicken breast, etc. None of that skinless chicken breast stuff unless you butter it up.

Make sure you're getting full fat foods. No Fage 0 yogurt, seek out the full fat stuff (or make your own, it's actually quite easy). Use heavy cream or butter instead of milk or half and half in your tea or coffee.
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    100-120 grams of protein doesn't seem excessive, and it helps keep you feeling full, probably even better than fat does.
  • carine0502
    Options
    thanks for your reply!

my macros are (in grams) 20g max carbs, (aim of) 50-60g proteins and 130g fat for a total of 1500cal. reality is more often 20 to 25g carbs, 120g proteins and the rest in fat. If I go above 1500cal it's in fats and proteins most of the time.

I never eat anything light (anymore) and always aim for full-fat options no matter what. My fridge is full of cream and butter etc.

regarding the amount of proteins, it's hard to get a precise number. some say it's 1g per kg of body weight, some say it's less, some more. I'm a bit lost!!

Plus, I don't do any sports whatsoever but plan on starting something cool and easy soon. Any suggestion?
  • RowdysLady
    RowdysLady Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I had the same question when I first started - I was eating over every day. I've done fine with my loss and how I feel and in all honesty, I rarely look at my protein now - or fats for that matter. I just try to keep my carbs under 20 and my cals at or below goal. As for sports - I like tennis - which I've not played in years...I think it may be time again!
  • carine0502
    Options
    right! looks I'm looking for problems while there is none then!! :-)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    There's a lot of information out there saying not to overeat protein due to its possible conversion to glucose. This really only applies in cases of insulin resistance and type 2 diabetes.
    If these are not concerns for you, then I wouldn't worry about protein.
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    And if you're concerned about it, there's always Spam. Quick, easy, and the most fat to protein I've ever seen in something that wasn't just oil or a tree nut. ;)

And it's gluten free! :smiley:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    And if you're concerned about it, there's always Spam. Quick, easy, and the most fat to protein I've ever seen in something that wasn't just oil or a tree nut. ;)

And it's gluten free! :smiley:

Also a buttload of sodium that we need. Forgot to mention that part.
  • LauraCoth
    LauraCoth Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    Spam, spam, spam, spam...
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options

The first KetoCafe, lol. Except for the baked beans, but they ran out anyhow, just sub SPAM. I am a MP freak! Love them!
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Yup, gotta get a good caramelization going on. We used to make croissant sandwiches for breakfast with eggs, spam, and cheese... *drools* I bet that would be okay now, if I used the butter with the eggs rather than the buttery tasting croissant....
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    SPAM is considered as quality meat? Or emergency food only? I thought "processed" meats like hot dogs were avoided... do LC'ers consider SPAM a good choice?

My only exposure was as a child when cans of it were given to poor coal mining families under the welfare/food program in rural PA (along with those long boxes of processed cheese!)
  • Majcolorado
    Majcolorado Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    SPAM is considered as quality meat? Or emergency food only? I thought "processed" meats like hot dogs were avoided... do LC'ers consider SPAM a good choice?

My only exposure was as a child when cans of it were given to poor coal mining families under the welfare/food program in rural PA (along with those long boxes of processed cheese!)

Haha no. Emergency food only. It's like a rectangular pork hot dog.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    @KETOGENICGURL I remember those long blocks of cheese and the big gallon cans of peanut butter. I'm headed home this weekend to PA from NC. Can't wait to see some rolling hills, farmland and cows.
  • CommandaPanda
    CommandaPanda Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    0.8g of protein per lb / <30g of carbs / remainder in fat. Once you start exercising regularly, bump 0.8g to 0.9g of protein per lb of total body weight.