too much protein

Options

Replies

• genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    bjwoodzy wrote: »
    I too, was concerned about too much protein turning into glucose, so I'm watchin'/still readin' this thread, but just wanted to say I heard "SPAM" and came a runnin'!

I made Spam and eggs yesterday! <3<3<3<3

Sorry I <3 Spam and I don't care who knows it! LOL
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »

Hmm. Why not go straight to Alpo? ;)
  • genmon00
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

LOL Don't knock it till you try it! Different strokes for different folks I guess. Although my hubby and kids are not big fans I don't get to eat it as often as I would like. But you must def pan fry it to get max salty goodness ;)
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Really interesting read on another thread that made me thing about my sleepy after meals thing - which has been dramatically cut down since I added support for my low stomach acid... @Dragonwolf I know everything ties back to the gut, but the list of things related is making my head spin at the moment!

My Blog, Summary of Other

Related LCD Post

6bkx1ehcpyk5.jpg
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    SPAM is considered as quality meat? Or emergency food only? I thought "processed" meats like hot dogs were avoided... do LC'ers consider SPAM a good choice?

My only exposure was as a child when cans of it were given to poor coal mining families under the welfare/food program in rural PA (along with those long boxes of processed cheese!)

You couldn't pay me to eat Spam! I definitely don't consider this a quality food source, but we all have different goals here, so no judgement on those who like it. I've aimed for a clean diet for years, and I find it very easy to eat LCHF and eat clean. Though I admit, I'm far from perfect and time impacts my menu, I often use bottled salad dressing and mayo and I even eat sausages now and then (fresh ones, not hot dog type sausages, I draw the line at that).
  • RalfLott
    Options

LOL Don't knock it till you try it!

OK, I'll give Alpo a try.

(I did try Spam about 30 years ago - tried to carve an Escher design into it, but no luck. )
  • genmon00
    Options

LOL Don't knock it till you try it!

OK, I'll give Alpo a try.

(I did try Spam about 30 years ago - tried to carve an Escher design into it, but no luck. )

hahaha ur a funny one @RalfLott :)
  • genmon00
    Options
    SPAM is considered as quality meat? Or emergency food only? I thought "processed" meats like hot dogs were avoided... do LC'ers consider SPAM a good choice?

My only exposure was as a child when cans of it were given to poor coal mining families under the welfare/food program in rural PA (along with those long boxes of processed cheese!)

You couldn't pay me to eat Spam! I definitely don't consider this a quality food source, but we all have different goals here, so no judgement on those who like it. I've aimed for a clean diet for years, and I find it very easy to eat LCHF and eat clean. Though I admit, I'm far from perfect and time impacts my menu, I often use bottled salad dressing and mayo and I even eat sausages now and then (fresh ones, not hot dog type sausages, I draw the line at that).
    Eh...well I also eat offal so I guess I'm not too picky lol.
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Whey is insulinogenic on par with white bread, meaning it spikes your insulin just as much. If you are sensitive to the effects of an insulin spike, it can lead to the tiredness (just ask @KnitOrMiss about her food narcolepsy issues).

O wise @Dragonwolf, this is puzzling.

The sources are not terribly clear on exactly which dairy products are insulinogenic, to what extent, and under what conditions.

I can't browbeat even my endocrinologist into giving me a fasting insulin test, let alone a series of post-prandial tests to try to sniff out my responses to whey-containing substances.

Absent sleepiness or my belt suddenly tightening from lipogenesis, how do I go about putting the pieces together?

Many thx in advance for your insights!
  • LowCarbInScotland
    LowCarbInScotland Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options

Eh...well I also eat offal so I guess I'm not too picky lol.

I eat offal too :smile:

There's a big difference between frying up some fresh beef liver, chicken hearts or sweet breads versus spam and hot dogs. I just like to know exactly what innards I'm eating and I like to eat them fresh. Yes, I'm fussy about my food, I'm one of those annoying people who grills the waiter with questions before ordering and reads the entire label before buying something at the grocery store, it drives my hubby crazy.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    LOL - @PaleoInScotland - I don't know what it is about hot dogs and bologna, but even the all beef supposedly "safe" stuff always caused my stomach to hurt. I used to have to drench it in sauces to choke it down... I'm still not up to frying up my own offal, but I do eat pate/liverwurst, so I'm eating the gateway meats. LOL
  • genmon00
    Options
    @PaleoInScotland yes I see your point and its a good one. Spam is my guilty pleasure haha ok i know im prob grossing you out so i'll stop :) I grew up eating it so i never really thought about it being a frankenfood.
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    Offal is offal-y delicious.

I love tripe and cow tongue!

I definitely came from a culture that you did not waste parts of the animal. If you could eat it, they found a way.
  • genmon00
    Options
    Offal is offal-y delicious.

I love tripe and cow tongue!

I definitely came from a culture that you did not waste parts of the animal. If you could eat it, they found a way.

omg I love tripe and cow tongue! super delicious in tacos :) not a fan of liver though B)
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options

omg I love tripe and cow tongue! super delicious in tacos :) not a fan of liver though B)

Yeah...liver is my least favourite innard. I have never had tripe in tacos but I really like tongue in tacos.

My family throws it on the grill and that is my fave way to eat it. Some people don't like the tough/chewy texture but I really do! I'm a weirdo lol
  • billglitch
    billglitch Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    carine0502 wrote: »
    Hey my low-carber friends!

I have a question about macros and how to keep them correct. I'm supposed to keep my proteins around 50-60g a day (1m63 for 52/53kg) and I always end up with twice as much. So I'm afraid this is not good!

All the LCHF recipes I gather are always meat/fish/egg based so filled with a lot of proteins.

can you give me examples of menus to keep proteins relatively low?

thanks a lot

I was reading on dietdoctor.com and it said to eat 1gr of protein for each kilogram of your goal weight. If you divide your goal weight by 2.2 that will give you it in kilograms. So if you choose to be at 20gr carbs, and figure your proteins that way they the rest is fats. Put that into MFP goals...worth a try
  • genmon00
    Options
    . Some people don't like the tough/chewy texture but I really do! I'm a weirdo lol
    Me too! I'm huge on texture. Thats why I like octopus too. I like chewy things . :)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    . Some people don't like the tough/chewy texture but I really do! I'm a weirdo lol
    Me too! I'm huge on texture. Thats why I like octopus too. I like chewy things . :)

You both sound like me. I love all animal parts, especially the chewy ones.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Whey is insulinogenic on par with white bread, meaning it spikes your insulin just as much. If you are sensitive to the effects of an insulin spike, it can lead to the tiredness (just ask @KnitOrMiss about her food narcolepsy issues).

O wise @Dragonwolf, this is puzzling.

The sources are not terribly clear on exactly which dairy products are insulinogenic, to what extent, and under what conditions.

I can't browbeat even my endocrinologist into giving me a fasting insulin test, let alone a series of post-prandial tests to try to sniff out my responses to whey-containing substances.

Absent sleepiness or my belt suddenly tightening from lipogenesis, how do I go about putting the pieces together?

Many thx in advance for your insights!

Endo won't give you a fasting insulin test?! Why?! I'd say get a new endo. Can't speak to the post-pandial tests, since I haven't tried that.

In the research I've done, whey seems to be the big reason for the insulin spike above and beyond what's expected with the lactose, and it's not modulated by fat content. I suspect whey + lactose are the worst. Logic would dictate that whey-heavy foods would be the worst.

It's arguably a poor substitute, but if you want to test on your own, it might be worth picking up a glucometer. If you're actively keto, it might also be good to get one that measures ketones. Both glucose and ketones are modulated by insulin, so theoretically, there should be a drop in either/both and/or less of an increase than you'd expect for the amount of glucose and could be a proxy measure of insulin increase.

If you want to try it, I'd set it up this way:

1. Start with control tests of straight glucose, straight protein, and straight fat. Glucose tablets, chicken breast, and probably just about any fat except coconut oil and maybe butter would be great for this (MCTs are kind of like jet fuel and may not provide the control measurements we need; butter has trace amounts of the non-fat compounds that might interfere, for purity's sake, I'd avoid it; if you have it, I'd say lard or tallow would be good control fats). If you can find it, isolated lactose would be good to measure, too. In all cases, measure by weight and use that amount in all tests.

2. Measure glucose and ketones in the fasting state before consuming the item, and 1, 2, and 3 hours after consumption.

3. Whey isolate would probably be a good test for how you react to straight whey (whey concentrate would be a close second). Get some that's nothing but whey and mix it with water.

4. From there, test different kinds of dairy and see how you react, using the same measurements. Ricotta is whey-heavy. Hard cheeses and strained yogurts are casein-heavy. Cream cheese often has added whey. Butter only has trace amounts of both, with heavy cream having a little more but still small amounts (though try to get one that's just cream and not additive crap). Whole milk has the standard base ratios, with the lower fats having slightly more per unit (due to the decrease in fat). Lactose-free milk is also a good one to try (and actually tastes pretty good).