too much protein

Options

Replies

• carine0502
    carine0502 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    just had a look at my macros over last week and I'm around 100-110 g of protein per day. So slightly too high but should be easy to lower that, while increasing fats

thanks all!
  • daylitemag
    daylitemag Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    RowdysLady wrote: »
    I had the same question when I first started - I was eating over every day. I've done fine with my loss and how I feel and in all honesty, I rarely look at my protein now - or fats for that matter. I just try to keep my carbs under 20 and my cals at or below goal. As for sports - I like tennis - which I've not played in years...I think it may be time again!

This!
  • MelissaHaseley
    MelissaHaseley Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I noticed that protein is harder to digest in the morning. I had a small zero carb protein shake this morning and I almost fell asleep driving to work. Next time have a protein shake it will be after I have worked out. I have a harder time getting all the fats I need, but certain cheeses have higher fat content and they go great on lean meats. I don't like having to drink the butter and oil after I've eaten chicken just to get the fats in my system. Some people just fill a shot glass of olive oil and down it, tips get your fats, unsaturated and helps your digestive system move everything through.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I noticed that protein is harder to digest in the morning. I had a small zero carb protein shake this morning and I almost fell asleep driving to work. Next time have a protein shake it will be after I have worked out. I have a harder time getting all the fats I need, but certain cheeses have higher fat content and they go great on lean meats. I don't like having to drink the butter and oil after I've eaten chicken just to get the fats in my system. Some people just fill a shot glass of olive oil and down it, tips get your fats, unsaturated and helps your digestive system move everything through.

FYI, if you're on the weight-loss diet (as opposed to maintenance), you don't need to hit a magic number of fat calories - your body will merrily chew away on body fat if it doesn't get enough in your diet!
  • authorwriter
    authorwriter Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    FYI, if you're on the weight-loss diet (as opposed to maintenance), you don't need to hit a magic number of fat calories - your body will merrily chew away on body fat if it doesn't get enough in your diet!

Okay, I just experienced a total disconnect. If this is the case...why are we eating fat at all? wouldn't it be better to eat as little fat as possible, hit our protein goals and let our bodies go to our fat stores?
  • BaconSan2
    BaconSan2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    In the 50's cartons of Spam must have been leftover from the troops rations in World War 2 so the Canadian govt. gave them out to seniors - it got called "Diefenbaker meat" after the then PM. I was in grade school & I would visit this old lady for about 1/2 hr after school on most days - she always gave me tea & Spam sandwich on white bread. Spam ever since has nostalgic connotations for me. And if someone needed more salt intake to keep their electrolytes in balance on the WHO Spam could be your man.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options

Okay, I just experienced a total disconnect. If this is the case...why are we eating fat at all? wouldn't it be better to eat as little fat as possible, hit our protein goals and let our bodies go to our fat stores?

That's a good question.

If your goal is to burn fat and reduce (as opposed to maintain) your body fat stores, then I think you're basically right. Most of us can't stand reducing our total food intake so drastically, but many LCHF advocates would say there's no reason not to do what you suggest, assuming you meet your macro- and micronutrient requirements (and you're not driven to Twinkies as you keto-adapt).

Anyone else want to chime in?

• anewlifeat40
    anewlifeat40 Posts: 179 Member
    Options

That's a good question.

If your goal is to burn fat and reduce (as opposed to maintain) your body fat stores, then I think you're basically right. Most of us can't stand reducing our total food intake so drastically, but many LCHF advocates would say there's no reason not to do what you suggest, assuming you meet your macro- and micronutrient requirements (and you're not driven to Twinkies as you keto-adapt).

Anyone else want to chime in?

One word. Hunger. Fat provides satiety so we eat less. Also, if you're not eating fat, and you're not eating carbs... you're basically just eating protein, which converts to fat when you eat more than your body needs... at least that's my understanding? Correct me if I"m wrong... I'm a total newb still... ;)
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options

Well, you have to get enough calories, so if you're not getting them from carbs and you can eat nothing but lean protein to get there but I imagine you won't feel very good, and honestly, it would probably be difficult to eat enough lean protein to get enough calories on a daily basis.
    If you eat fatty protein, including the fatty parts, that's more the "right" way to do it. The fat/protein balance is pretty much perfect that way.

It's more important in the first few weeks to make sure to eat healthy fats to teach the body what you're expecting the fuel source to be. "There's no more glucose, but there's a boat load of fat, so... Ok, we will fire up the fat burning mitochondria and keep this engine running". Then, new mitochondria develop (what people refer to as adapting) and your body is well equipped to continue burning fat for fuel as long as it continues to be the primary fuel provided.
    At that point, lowering calories to create a deficit by reducing fat, will make sure your new hardware starts putting those love handles to good use. :wink:
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options

Well, you have to get enough calories, so if you're not getting them from carbs and you can eat nothing but lean protein to get there but I imagine you won't feel very good, and honestly, it would probably be difficult to eat enough lean protein to get enough calories on a daily basis.

I did it once, for about two weeks. 80/5/15 p/c/f made me a sad boy. My lifts were garbage, and I felt like total dog *kitten*, and on top of that, it was a miserable eating experience every day.
  • RalfLott
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Well, you have to get enough calories

Yipes! I thought calorie counts had gone the way of the dodo (though I still track them - calories, that is - with a daily min/max range, fossil that I am).

Does your body know the difference between dietary fat and body fat when you're in weight-loss mode?

• bjwoodzy
    bjwoodzy Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    My only exposure was as a child when cans of it were given to poor coal mining families under the welfare/food program in rural PA (along with those long boxes of processed cheese!)

LOL Spam is $$$. I only got a can of it yesterday because it was on sale 2 for $5, it's normally almost $4 a can!

• bjwoodzy
    Options
    Does your body know the difference between dietary fat and body fat when you're in weight-loss mode?

I need to know this, too.

I feel—yet again—overwhelmed with inconsistent info...this way of life has been akin to taking some advanced master's degree course, for me :\
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

Yipes! I thought calorie counts had gone the way of the dodo (though I still track them - calories, that is - with a daily min/max range, fossil that I am).

Well, just saying that eating 10% carbs and 25% protein doesn't make up enough calories... The other 65% has to come from somewhere if not fat, then either more carbs (then you're on Sad diet) or protein, (then you're on Dukan I think). We all know too low fat isn't the answer if health is your goal. :wink:
  • RalfLott
    Options

Well, just saying that eating 10% carbs and 25% protein doesn't make up enough calories... The other 65% has to come from somewhere if not fat, then either more carbs (then you're on Sad diet) or protein, (then you're on Dukan I think). We all know too low fat isn't the answer if health is your goal. :wink:

I don't disagree if you're in maintenance mode.... but what if you're in induction or weight-loss phases (and, if you're T2D, trying to reduce your insulin resistance and BG)?

In other words, where does the minimum calorie requirement come from if your goal is to switch to from glucose- to fat-burning and work off the 100,000+ extra calories you have stored in body fat (as opposed to a goal of maintaining your current weight)?

Nothing against fat, of course.... (drools, heads to kitchen for a butter-boosted cappuccino) :p
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Options

I don't disagree if you're in maintenance mode.... but what if you're in induction or weight-loss phases (and, if you're T2D, trying to reduce your insulin resistance and BG)?

In other words, where does the minimum calorie requirement come from if your goal is to switch to from glucose- to fat-burning and work off the 100,000+ extra calories you have stored in body fat (as opposed to a goal of maintaining your current weight)?

Nothing against fat, of course.... (drools, heads to kitchen for a butter-boosted cappuccino) :p

The calorie deficit definitely comes from cutting fat.
    But the original comment was asking why do high fat at all, if I recall. So my thinking was that one of the 3 macros needs to be higher then if fat isn't going to be. For example, person can't just keep carbs at 20g and protein at 120g and eat 30g fat... That's not enough calories overall... At least not to be a daily plan. So, if someone wants to eat a daily diet where fat is not a higher proportion, then they need to decide if it's carbs they will eat more of or protein. You gotta eat something!
    See what I'm saying.
  • bjwoodzy
    Options
    My current macro ratios:

5% Carbs
    15% Protein
    80% Fat

I bumped my protein down from 21% out of concern for having too much turn into glucose (I am T2 and currently mostly sedentary, I have bursts of activity here and there but I don't actually track any of it).

• MyriiStorm
    MyriiStorm Posts: 609 Member
    Options

@RalfLott posted this video on another thread. Dr. Phinney addresses why you can't do a high protein diet indefinitely. He recommends no more than 30% for your protein macro.

https://youtu.be/KkdFkPxxDG8