Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Anything to add, change or alter?

Fin1965
Fin1965 Posts: 19 Member
Hi, I've been this woe seriously for about thirty days. I'm female, 50 years old, 5'4" tall. I don't really exercise but I rarely sit down, I potter all day and can't sit still! I've set my cals at 1200, 15g carbs, 70g protein and the rest fat, ( I've just recently upped my protein from 60 which I think was too low??). I weigh 157 pounds now and would like to get to about 140. In the thirty days of this woe, I've lost about 7pounds and am very pleased about that. I haven't budged in weight for the last week and understand it's by no means a stall, but I wonder if anyone would look over my diary entries to see if I've got the right idea, if I need to change anything? My only other question would be, I am finding that I'm a little bit hungry, a good few people say they struggle to meet their cal goal, I feel quite a bit hungry after meals still, that's why I upped my protein a little. Does everyone's appetite eventually curb, or is it the lucky few, do I need to wait a little longer before that kicks in? Thank you very much for any replies.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Your diary and macros look pretty good to me. Your sodium is low. Most keto'er need 3000-5000 mg per day. You are usually under 700mg. Getting more salt could help with appetite too. It affects me that way.

It looks like you are staying pretty close to your calorie goal but going over when hungry. That seems reasonable to me. My calorie goal was 1420 but I was close to a 100kcals over that on most days due to hunger and it did not seem to affect my losses.

Looks good to me. Just watch your sodium :) My guess is that you are losing fat and the scale will move again soon.
  • Fin1965
    Ah yes salt, I'll see to that and get that increased, thanks for the tip. I feel that I drink far too much coffee, adding cream, and although it's within my macro/calorie limits, I might be using it to keep hunger at bay. Here's hoping the salt increase may help with that. I wish I could get to that lovely stage where I say, "I'm struggling to eat to my calorie limit as I'm so full"! Thank you for your help.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Fin1965 wrote: »
    Ah yes salt, I'll see to that and get that increased, thanks for the tip. I feel that I drink far too much coffee, adding cream, and although it's within my macro/calorie limits, I might be using it to keep hunger at bay. Here's hoping the salt increase may help with that. I wish I could get to that lovely stage where I say, "I'm struggling to eat to my calorie limit as I'm so full"! Thank you for your help.

You will; I have. Took me a little while (I'm sure everyone is different), but if it helps, someone posted this a couple of days ago...
    @Sunny_Bunny_ wrote:
    Carbs are a limit.
    Protein is a MINIMUM GOAL to reach
    Fat is a lever to increase or lower to create or close a caloric deficit.

If you're not diabetic or at least moderately insulin resistant, you don't need to worry about limiting protein.

Great advice.

I have found that salt has been painted as the real bad boy of any regime, and processed foods and ready meals everywhere, here in the UK, are low salt - which makes things taste bland and insipid to my palate.

Being a well-rooted Italian, I was taught from a very early age that seasoning (salt) is everything. There's even a fairy tale somewhere, when a King asks his daughter how much she loves him, she tells him that she loves him just as much as food needs and loves salt. He, infuriated by this shallow remark, banishes her; the long and the short of it (It's a fairy tale, for goodness' sake; there's bound to be a long plot with love interest!) is that in disguise, she eventually finds work in his kitchen as a cook, and prepares all his meals without salt; whereupon he suddenly realises just what his daughter meant.

I used to visit a buddy of mine and every time I did, her two boys begged me to make spaghetti al' pomodoro, which I gladly did. My buddy - a trained nurse - was always astonished by how much salt I used, but had to admit, it made everything taste incredible, and it dissipated well into the meal.
    I use salt to the extent that I must keep the producers in the black; mainly Himalayan salt.
    I'm awaiting delivery of one of these boys, which should keep me going for a day or two.....

It's made for animal consumption, but is totally perfectly suitable for human use. It's salt, with nothing added, or taken away.
    (All animal foods in the UK have to be fit for human consumption.)
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Ah, yes: Demon Salt. Decades ago, my mother invited a friend for lunch. The friend's husband was enduring one of those frequently prescribed no fat/no salt diets and, of course, so was the wife. My mother asked the friend if there was anything special she'd like to have. The friend's answer: "A can of Crisco and a salt lick would be nice."
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    ^^ :D ^^
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,759 Member
    edited April 2017
    You might also want to make sure you up your magnesium and potassium. The three together are the key to no keto flu, and once I upped my magnesium and potassium my hunger pretty much disappeared. Vitamin or nutrient deficiencies can make you crave things AND hold on to unwanted weight.
  • nvmomketo
    Fin1965 wrote: »

I rarely hit that. I did have days where I only ate 1000-1200 calories but the days of wanting more were more common.

On the otherhand, my hunger was very much diminished from where it used to be! I used to eat every 2-3 hours. Now it can hit 2pm before I realize that I forgot breakfast and lunch. I still eat and am hungry once I get going though.
  • Fin1965
    Hi, thank you for all for your imput. I went out for lunch today and had six sardines, boy were they salty! Seriously, I'm giving that suggestion a real go. I'm taking mag but not potas, but I can get some and give that a go. I have low t3 and the endo put me on 100mg of iodine, I don't know how that affects anything to be honest, I just take it and hope it's doing me good! My energy isn't brilliant, as I put earlier, I rarely sit still, but I do feel whacked a good bit of the time, I'm thinking salt etc will help with that. I tried some trousers on that we're really tight a week ago, trying to find weight victories other than on the scale, and I'm sure they are less snug, I keep thinking, no they're not, trying to convince myself the only way to tell you're losing weight is by the scale, so I'm forever fighting that inner voice!! I'll try your suggestions and we'll see how I go. Ps, that info on protein is great to know, I'll take that!!
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Ah, yes: Demon Salt. Decades ago, my mother invited a friend for lunch. The friend's husband was enduring one of those frequently prescribed no fat/no salt diets and, of course, so was the wife. My mother asked the friend if there was anything special she'd like to have. The friend's answer: "A can of Crisco and a salt lick would be nice."

How about we swap out the crisco for bacon grease or coconut oil and then you can count me in.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    My appetite curbed initially on keto but I have no trouble eating my 1500 maintenance calories. Some days I'm not as hungry as others and I'm not constantly "starving" like I was when maintaining on higher carbs and lower fat but yes, hunger exists for me. It is not a matter of just thinking I'm hungry, mindless eating or comfort eating. It's hunger. I can live with it...or gain weight.
  • nvmomketo
    cstehansen wrote: »

How about we swap out the crisco for bacon grease or coconut oil and then you can count me in.

I have a fat bomb recipe close to that. LOL