Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Experienced Lifters: Reps or Sets for Fat loss?

MissyK222
MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
edited March 2017 in Social Groups
For Fat loss what is more effective, high reps or high sets? Right now I am doing 3-4 sets of 8-12 reps. Since being sick with Salmonella my arms are very weak so right now I normally lift 10 lb Dumbells for upper body and heavier for lower body. I know I will get stronger as I progress. I am 4'8", 130 lbs (30 %B BF) trying to get down to 120 and most importantly reduce my body fat %. Any Advice is greatly Appreciated! :smiley:

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    For fat loss, a calorie deficit always comes first. Eating less and exercise can help get you there.
    To reduce your BF% though, weight training, adequate protein and a small deficit are typically recommended (especially since you are closer to goal weight).

In terms of reps and sets, I would say it doesn't really matter as long as you are progressing.. this can be increasing weight, number of sets, total volume etc. Sets of 8-12 is what I usually do, but it will vary based on my goals, what muscle I am working, how much volume I am doing, what program I am following etc.

If you are new to weight lifting, I would recommend you follow a program that kind of tells you what to do if you aren't already.
  • MissyK222
    MissyK222 Posts: 204 Member
    I am not new..I've lifted for a couple yrs on and off but never really heavy. I eat really well and do IF so I meet my calorie deficit. Thank you so much for the advice! :smile:
  • BlameItOnEm
    BlameItOnEm Posts: 3 Member
    If you have been lifting for a couple of years, mix up what you have been doing lately. If you have been doing high reps, pick up something a little heavier and do 6-8 reps. It will throw your muscles into confusion & cause them to work harder/different. Sometimes a little curveball is all it takes.

Don't be afraid to lift HEAVY! And eat to fuel your body! :)

Keep up the hard work and trust the process. :smiley: