Bone Broth Estimate?

Options
MissMorts
MissMorts Posts: 94 Member
Hi Folks!
I've just made the yummiest Slow Cooker Chicken Broth, using 2 whole chickens, carrots, celery, bay leaves salt and pepper an 2.5 days in the slow cooker.... it tastes and smells AMAZING!
And I'm kinda stuck now, how on earth do I do an estimate for logging? :#
Anyone with any suggestions pretty please?

Replies

• MissMorts
    Options
    In case anyone's looking for an awesome recipe....
    http://thehealthyfoodie.com/slow-cooker-beef-bone-broth/
    I just replaced the beef bones with 2 x Free Range Chickens.... super yum!!!
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I have never used this feature, but can't you enter a recipe with the logging?
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I've used the recipe feature a few times. You just put in the ingredients and the number of portions and it calculates all the numbers.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    If you're NOT eating the chicken, celery, carrots, etc it seems to me the calories/macros for anything but the fat and sodium are pretty minimal. I made "bone broth" once and built a recipe AFTERWARDS with 3 ingredients I felt I "ate": municipal water, fat & sodium even though it had chicken, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, and salt in it to flavor the broth.

After it congealed I scraped off the fat and measured it and the "liquid" Just as an example: if I had 8 cups of broth, I saved (thus added) 6 tablespoons of fat, and "X" amount of salt (whatever I put in it to make it).

Of course there were probably some carbs/protein in the liquid that seeped into the broth but that is just too much worry for me. Hair splittin' in my mind. All said, I learned I really don't like the chicken fat part of the broth anyway so ended up scraping it back off before warming up the broth which is what I have done for many years anyway when I would make broth from a chicken carcass for soup.

Does any of that make any sense? The recipe builder is a great feature but I'm guessing you save and drink only the broth and maybe the fat with whatever amount of salt added to the original recipe. Just build yourself a 3 ingredient recipe and if you must, add to it a nominal amount of the other ingredients... just because.

• 2t9nty
    Options
    I ate some soup a couple of months ago and picked out the corn, carrots and potatoes. I put them aside and felt comfortable that I had spared myself the carbs. I think more of them were in suspension than I thought because my glucose levels were pretty high afterwards. I don't do that any more.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I had a cup of home-made bone broth today. It had jellified, but by the time I got to it, the consistency was more that of thick cream. I drank it cold, like a consommé... I had it with a hard-boiled duck egg. Just a light snack/lunch....
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Some of the recipes for bone broth that are on the web, state between 15-50 calories. I pull everything out of my broth, I do chicken primarily with onion, celery, and any left over greens. Most commercial broths list @15 calories. It is just the water, collagen from the bones, and salt/pepper and maybe a tad of a spice or two that you are eating and I'm sure you made a big batch so many servings. I do use 50 cals. as my bone broth number because it is so easy to be off on everything else. Gives me a tiny bumper, as I am sure it is closer to the 15 cals.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I ate some soup a couple of months ago and picked out the corn, carrots and potatoes. I put them aside and felt comfortable that I had spared myself the carbs. I think more of them were in suspension than I thought because my glucose levels were pretty high afterwards. I don't do that any more.

That seems a pretty good piece of info to share as I would think those who are diabetic and test regularly (as you do) would be the folks who would have a decent insight regarding carb amounts that could potentially remain in a "broth" via their testing. I'm not diabetic so have eaten a few vegetables in a soup but carbs alone in a tasty long-cooked ham and bean soup where the beans are "falling apart" is off my food list. Bummer.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

That seems a pretty good piece of info to share as I would think those who are diabetic and test regularly (as you do) would be the folks who would have a decent insight regarding carb amounts that could potentially remain in a "broth" via their testing.

There are many opportunities for learning. The glucose readings give me feedback, and they have helped a lot as I have fine tuned my food intake. It makes it tough to eat anything at the church soup suppers.

I will admit (confess perhaps?) a fondness for bean soup, but it has been off the menu since my diagnosis, because I knew that would be problematic...

• macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have wondered that, too. I've heard it can have up to 9gm protein per serving (not sure about fat and calories) but I haven't found a definitive resource for that either.
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Just made grassfed beef broth- lots oil I can see- didn't get jelly but literally just off stove- not enough herbs etc next time I'll do more verges and herbs- but it can be spiced up- doing it for intestinal benefit but DH has hip problem was hoping it'd be more collagen for him
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I use an entry I found on MFP for "homemade broth, chicken" or something of the sort. 86 cal/ 8oz, mostly fat and protein.

I wouldn't worry too much about it unless you really think it's making that big a difference, then adjust it a bit. Some things aren't worth the worry and hassle. The benefits of bone broth are too good to get frustrated about it with logging :)
  • MissMorts
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Sorry, first time quote user gone wrong!
  • MissMorts
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »
    If you're NOT eating the chicken, celery, carrots, etc it seems to me the calories/macros for anything but the fat and sodium are pretty minimal. I made "bone broth" once and built a recipe AFTERWARDS with 3 ingredients I felt I "ate": municipal water, fat & sodium even though it had chicken, carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, thyme, and salt in it to flavor the broth.

That's exactly what I was thinking! I have found a recipe similar to the one I used but the calorie, and other counts just seemed to be so low! But you're right, if you don't actually consume the meat, the veggies etc, then it would be right to be low - yes?
  • MissMorts
    Options
    Some of the recipes for bone broth that are on the web, state between 15-50 calories. I pull everything out of my broth, I do chicken primarily with onion, celery, and any left over greens. Most commercial broths list @15 calories. It is just the water, collagen from the bones, and salt/pepper and maybe a tad of a spice or two that you are eating and I'm sure you made a big batch so many servings. I do use 50 cals. as my bone broth number because it is so easy to be off on everything else. Gives me a tiny bumper, as I am sure it is closer to the 15 cals.
    Yeah, the recipe I found had about 50 cals... if the consensus is that that might be high then I'll probable leave it there, I'd rather estimate higher than lower if you know what I mean?
  • MissMorts
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I have never used this feature, but can't you enter a recipe with the logging?
    I use that feature all the time! Love it as we do a lot of pre-made meals that I package up and freeze on the weekends and then pull out for convenience during the week :) but in this case if I'm just sucking out the juices and good stuff and leaving all of the meat and veggies behind, is it actually containing all of the the calls, carbs, protein etc.... *sigh* :)
  • MissMorts
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Heirgreat wrote: »
    Just made grassfed beef broth- lots oil I can see- didn't get jelly but literally just off stove- not enough herbs etc next time I'll do more verges and herbs- but it can be spiced up- doing it for intestinal benefit but DH has hip problem was hoping it'd be more collagen for him

I found some great packaged asian style herbs (coriander, ginger, chilli) I thought that might make an interesting addition occasionally to the occasional reheated portion, as well as a touch/swirl of coconut cream to boost the fat content?

Maybe add the herbs to the reheat process to get that additional flavour in?
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @MissMorts Delicious idea! if they are fresh just wilt them in near the end of the reheat, if dried, then maybe let them steep in the soup for a longer reheat.
    BTW... that isn't Mr. Bean's Teddy as your avatar, is it? Looks cute!
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, will the ham bone from Easter make good bone broth? I've never made it and the smell of boiled chicken bones makes me sick.
  • 2t9nty
    Options
    Hmmm, will the ham bone from Easter make good bone broth? I've never made it and the smell of boiled chicken bones makes me sick.

I like to use a leftover ham bone when I boil up a pot of collard greens or kale. In fact when I don't have a ham bone, I like it so much that I will use a smoked pork neck bone. They are cheap and add a lot of flavor+fat+sodium. What is not to like?