The Coconut Oil Experiences Thread

2»

Replies

• amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    amflautist wrote: »
    It's wonderful that your cholesterol has improved! I hope it continues to improve.

(Today I am going to try a fast - as you do. Wonder if that will help my cholesterol?)

Thanks...Yes fasting is good for improving your cholesterol...So I'm sure by doing a water fast it will still help, I've been water fasting once a week for 4 months...How long are you going for? Mine are usually for 38-40 hours long :)

HA! So much for the thought that fasting will improve cholesterol. It actually makes it worse, much worse. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10539776

Anyway, I will be fasting for ~48 hours. Had a bit of food last night ~7pm. Will eat at the end of a cooking demonstration tomorrow, around 7pm.
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    jvcinv wrote: »

Thanks...Yes fasting is good for improving your cholesterol...So I'm sure by doing a water fast it will still help, I've been water fasting once a week for 4 months...How long are you going for? Mine are usually for 38-40 hours long :)
    Off topic but when you added your weekly water fast did it increase your rate of weight loss.

I will answer this on my journal :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    @amflautist
    The keto people use MCT oil derived from coconut oil a lot and claim LCHF improves blood panels. One of these is Peter Attia at eatingacadamy.com. He and a lot of others claim with studies to back it up (and personal experiences) that saturated fat isn't the culprit. There are a lot of people that would disagree with what you posted. I'm just an observer but there are a lot of people who have improved their blood panel on a LCHF diet or at least claim to have. Attia I do think warns not to eat HF with HC I do believe though.

I don't use it much and I think I'm still not sure I would want to eat a lot of fat in case it is bad but I think how I use it, to stave off hunger on an occasional basis, isn't going to hurt me and it does help me to keep the calories down.
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    edited April 2017
    @blambo61 I believe LCHF diets are just fine. Nonetheless, I think one needs to be careful about statements regarding high fat vs highly-saturated fat. Can we stipulate that peer-reviewed research studies should be the basis of our discussion?

I want to address the basic contention of your thesis about LCHF, that "LCHF improves blood panels", and "a lot of people who have improved their blood panel on a LCHF diet" - which I do not disagree with! I honestly believe that we have been led into left field by low-fat injunctives. There is nothing wrong with fat and indeed I love it! But there are a lot of researchers a lot smarter than I am on this issue.

Therefore, I performed a simple search of peer-reviewed research, "peer-reviewed research saturated fat effect on cholesterol", and in the first paper I sampled, I read the abstract. It says:
    "Replacement of saturated fat by polyunsaturated or monounsaturated fat lowers both LDL and HDL cholesterol."
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2824150/

And if you read further down in that paper, you will find that substitution of saturated fat by fat that is high in alpha-linolenic acid has the most benefit. The research says choose fats that are lower-saturated but also higher in alpha-linolenic (i.e. omega-3!!!) fatty acids. The chart above helps do this.

In summary, I believe there is substantial evidence that saturated fats aren't all that good for you.

Edit: I checked out the definition of MCT. "Medium chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fatty acid". It seems if you want saturated fat, MCT is the one to choose.
  • blambo61
    Problem is I can find peer-reviewed research to show that people eating saturated fat improves their blood panels. Some-peer reviewed "science" can be very biased also (not saying this is). Plenty of anecdotal evidence too by many people who do use a lot of saturated fat. Here is one person that argues for sat fat. I haven't watched this presentation. He is a medical doctor and bio-med researcher.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-did-we-come-to-believe-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-are-bad-for-us

I'm very leery myself of pounding down a lot of sat fat from meat sources. My "gut" tells me (and religious training) that that isn't a good thing. I'm not sure about other sources like coconut oil. I'm sure there could be interactions with other macros like eating sat fats with refined carbs or not also.

For me though it is a non-issue I think cause I don't take very much of it at all, just in emergencies to get me through a difficult spell which is maybe once every week or two. I rarely take more than a tsp total when i take it. I think not eating 1000+ cals vs that is a good tradeoff. I'm not a proponent of keto except in cases where it help diabetics, and other maladies. I think there are penalties eating keto style but for some it is worth it. I don't think it is the healthier way to eat when there is nothing wrong with us. That's just my opinion.
  • Nevadaden
    Nevadaden Posts: 971 Member
    I know the limitations of arguing from "samples of one," but we all have our own experiences, which tend us to believe and thus act one way or another. I love full fat cream -- not half and half, and certainly not skim milk -- in my morning coffee. It satisfies me but does not spark my hunger. Like Bob with coconut oil, if I'm feeling a little peckish I may occasionally also have a decaf coffee in the afternoon, also with full fat cream. The richness satisfies enough to tide me over to dinner. Again, that's just me; others will have a different experience. Although I don't do low carb, I do eat a lot of high fat dairy in cream and cheese, and I am fond of bacon, chicken with the skin on, and a well marbled steak, too. So, @blambo61, I was pleased (if somewhat astonished) when I got the results of my annual physical a couple of weeks ago. Not only was my blood sugar fine, but my cholesterol levels were, as the doc put it, "fabulous." That doesn't mean I'm going to go from one reasonably sized serving of steak a week to four, or eat a pound of bacon and a round of cheese for dinner, or, for that matter, replace the cream in my coffee with butter and coconut oil. But it's gratifying to know that intermittent fasting in maintenance can yield good results, at least for this OMADer.
  • x3nomorph
    x3nomorph Posts: 174 Member
    edited June 2017
    heart disease its early stages start to settle in since childhood, autopsies performed on children as young as 10 year old shows fatty streaks already forming in their arteries

cholesterol/saturated fat contained in all animal products and vegetable oils in the diet cause damage to the endothelial cells in the arteries

the good news is that the number one killer in the western world not only can be stopped in his tracks but actually reversed with a whole food plant based diet, no other intervention can actually reverse the condition

around 735 000 people in the US alone suffer a heart attack every year according to the CDC
  • barbheart
    barbheart Posts: 433 Member
    coconut oil is also great for oil pulling your teeth, also great as a skin facial...it removes wrinkles yeah! quite nice with black coffee but I can manage my fasts without it
  • Brendalea69
    Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
    barbheart wrote: »
    coconut oil is also great for oil pulling your teeth, also great as a skin facial...it removes wrinkles yeah! quite nice with black coffee but I can manage my fasts without it

Yes I do oil pulling too :)
  • blambo61
    So ran a pr 5k today (27:14) on a hilly course while fasted with the exception of 1-scoop of UCAN superstarch eaten about 45-min before the race and 1-tsp of coconut oil 35-min before the race. My cool down after the race was over a min/mile faster than normal also. I've ran a few 5ks recently with just the starch and felt I was still bonking about 2-miles into the race. I'm convinced the coconut oil was the difference. Ran well last year with just 1-tsp of coconut oil just before the race while having fasted up tell then (races are at 4:30 pm). This stuff is high octane fuel for when fasted!
  • vaughnche
    vaughnche Posts: 10 Member
    I'm a keto person and I'm not entirely sold on it. I make my own fat bombs with coconut oil and eat one when I want to meet my fat macros, but I feel like straight up MCT oil would be better for weight loss. The lauric acid in coconut oil is an MCT but behaves like an LCT in the body, apparently. But you gotta admit the stuff is mighty tasty. And smells sooo good. I'll be doing some experimenting with coconut oil vs mct oil and let you know what happens. But I'll still be keeping coconut oil around for slathering on my skin.