So ticked off....

Options
nscal
nscal Posts: 72 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
I've been doing Keto for almost a year and feeling great, not loosing a lot of weight but feeling wonderful, have lost a couple inches. The past 6 months have really gotten strict with it and felt even better (still don't loose weight tho). I'm on BP meds (Candesartan HCT) and thyroid meds (Levothryroxin) and noticed that I was getting light headed and dizzy so went to the doctor for a check up. Have noticed that my BP was going down, so I was hoping that the doc would take me off my meds. She changed it to illuminate the diuretic out of my meds (now i'm on Candesartan). Left everything else the same. I asked her to do a blood sugar test on me. The results came back that my A1C is 5.8 and she tells me i'm at rick of developing T2 and my T3 showed abnormal. So I'm nervous about the blood sugar so I get a monitor and have been checking it myself. It's anywhere from 106 to 125 in the mornings. Good after eating, just high in the mornings. And....after changing my BP med I was bloating so she then called in a fluid pill for me, which did nothing. So that brings me to today. I call them b/c i'm feeling like poo and drained and gaining a pound a day. After sending them a copy of my daily logs and how I've been feeling and that I eat hardly no carbs, no sugar and exercise 5 to 6 days a week. Ready for this???? The reason i'm feeling the way I do is because of my diet! BS!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    @nscal Sorry about that. Losing inches is positive for the long term for sure.

I was reading something the other day that can make getting blood sugar be hard to control. I will see if I can find that. I have started several new supplements that can lower blood sugar in the last 1-3 weeks. I know nothing about thyroid health concerns and how that can impact blood sugar.

It sounds like you are making progress and hope you find the answers as to WHY you are seeing these results.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Sounds like time for a new doctor to me
  • BinWa
    BinWa Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Something that many people overlook and is so important in how you feel is Vit. D If you are deficient it can cause you to feel tired and cause tummy issues, aches and pains etc..
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Also- consider eating a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed. That ended my high blood sugar numbers in the am.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Are you supplementing your sodium, potassium, and magnesium. Sounds like keto flu symptoms to me. Try upping those and see if it helps. The launchpads has heaps of info on them and why they are needed.

Always a drag when the Dr. doesn't pay attention to what you are telling them.

@KnitorMiss has a lot of good info about thyroid issues. Check out her posts she is VERY helpful.

I concur. Yes, there are probably some other things going on as well, but most urgent issue is to deal with the 'keto flu' / electrolyte imbalance.
  • nscal
    Options
    Oh yea I supplement with sodium and take mag every night. I honestly think it's because of the BP med change. The sad thing is this is the 2nd doc I've seen. It seems they blame the way of eating instead of finding the issue. But I will beat this! So.....im going to another doc on Friday that will hopefully understand the keto lifestyle.
  • nscal
    Options
    shadus wrote: »
    Also- consider eating a tablespoon of peanut butter before bed. That ended my high blood sugar numbers in the am.

Never heard this. But I'll give it a try. Thanks!
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    nscal wrote: »

Why is this supposed to work?
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Doctors aren't always right. My Doctor told me the other day that because there was type 2 diabetes in my family I will also get type 2 diabetes - it's unavoidable. I disagree. I was pre-diabetic 4 years ago before I went Keto, and now my blood sugar is perfect. He doesn't know everything.
  • shadus
    shadus Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    nscal wrote: »

It's called dawn phenomenon if you wanna research it, hits type 1's a lot more often than type 2's but isn't all that uncommon for anyone who is pre-diabetic or diabetic at all, about 1 in 3 diabetics I know personally have it regardless of type or how well its managed. I was running an average of mid 80s-90s 1-3h post meals & waking up fasting at 120... was driving me nuts, long term diabetic friend was like "Oh my gf has that, it's calle dawn phenomenon, eat some pb before you goto bed or some cheese, something high fat, high protein."

100 calories of pb a night later, waking up with 80s fasting blood sugars just like my 2h pp.
  • LynFaith
    LynFaith Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Did your doc give you a T3 supplement? Do you have Hashimoto's?
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    there's a reason doctors call what they do "practice"

good luck with the new doc, maybe he won't be daft
  • nscal
    Options
    LynFaith wrote: »
    Did your doc give you a T3 supplement? Do you have Hashimoto's?
    No did not give me anything for T3. Said just wait and we will see again on the next blood work. My question is how long do we have to wait?? I do not have Hashimoto's that I know of. I have to beg for the test that has been ran now. Hoping this new doc will be more understanding and get this lined out.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I ran across this site and found my current doctor here. I fired my PCP and endo. Both said I was insulin resistant. My new doc actually tested me for dang near everything possible. Turns out I process carbs better than average, but I had some other issues which were causing my BG issues.

http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/

In case you are interested in more details on my experience, it is in this thread:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10490291/interesting-dr-follow-up-with-lchf-friendly-doc-for-t2#latest

A small update is the chart below which shows my BG change since implementing changes suggested by the new doc. They are not fast changes, but my average readings are down enough that I would expect to be out of the pre-diabetic range at my next check. BTW, the spike in February was due to going on a cruise and thinking ice cream would be a good idea.

In a way, those who have IR are a little luckier, IMO. This WOE has been proven to correct the BG or at least drop it significantly in a relatively short time (see 10 week results of an ongoing study here: https://www.virtahealth.com/research). For people like me who have BG issues not related to IR, correction can be a bit more tedious. However in the long run, it will all be worth it.

The reason for sharing this is, most doctors will do one of 2 things. They will assume the cause of your symptom is X based on what it is in most cases. Or, they will prescribe X because it works in most cases. The key word here is most. That is key because it is not "all" cases. It is important to have a doctor who is willing to 1) dig down to find the cause and not just treat the symptom, 2) not assume the cause is the most common cause but the specific cause(s) in your specific case and 3) have the desire to correct the cause and not just treat symptoms.

hhfjiktlal51.jpg