Weight Training or Cardio or both

Options
2»

Replies

• blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular gives you lung power and strength tng get gives you muscle power. Both are important. So is flexibility. Don't choose, do some of each. If you do circuits with weights, it has some cardiovascular benefit also.
  • Ksquiggz
    Ksquiggz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    The more muscles you have, the more calories you burn just doing nothing. Cardio is good for your heart and lungs and also burns calories. I do about 15 minutes of the elliptical and then 6-9 machines, 5 sets of 12 on each. And then I do another 10-12 minutes of cardio. I try to do this most days. On the weekends I hike for a couple hours. Lifting and cardio are important, as well as variety in exercises. Once you get started, you'll love it. You'll need it. You'll always be glad you did it. Getting stronger and adding more weights or resistance or going faster, these things are the true joy of exercise, not how you look. Do both. Just start. Nothing to it but to do it. Get videos or YouTube some stuff if you don't know where to start. Just get your heart pumping! You can do it!
  • Ksquiggz
    Ksquiggz Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Lunges are the devil.

I will just say leg day is the devil.

I don't like lunges cuz it hurts my knee but I love leg day! I do leg day every other day! It's rough, and my legs are always sore, but it makes me feel so good :)
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Kettle bell love it- weight & cardio- learned to like running which is surprising-hate burpees - but hey just saw this pole workout- wow was she strong! Looked like fun but I'd probably get dizzy
  • genmon00
    genmon00 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Lunges are the devil.

Omg YAS! I loathe lunges and seems all the vids/trainers love them UGH :s
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    genmon00 wrote: »
    Lunges are the devil.

Omg YAS! I loathe lunges and seems all the vids/trainers love them UGH :s

I'm guessing some orthopedic surgeons could name their 36 foot cabin cruisers "The Lunge." Lunges done incorrectly (the way 99% of us do them) are bad news for our poor, unprotected joints.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I take a class at the gym 2x a week that we call Pump. It is mostly strength training, but with a bit of cardio mixed in. Love it!!! Then 1x a week I take a TRX class, there are straps that hang from the ceiling and you use your body weight for resistance exercises and they mix in cardio. Weather permitting I try to take a 3 mile walk each day. I feel it's a good balance.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Ksquiggz wrote: »
    cstehansen wrote: »
    Lunges are the devil.

I will just say leg day is the devil.

I don't like lunges cuz it hurts my knee but I love leg day! I do leg day every other day! It's rough, and my legs are always sore, but it makes me feel so good :)

Me thinks thou art a masochist!
  • GoldieLaVie
    GoldieLaVie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks again for all the great info!