Beef jerky?

Options
brendasteve
brendasteve Posts: 23 Member
I am wondering if beef jerky is ok? I read on the back of the labels and see that there are an awful lot of carbs, I purchase the one with the lowest amount of sugar but am still kind of scared of it....

Replies

• LegalMom0928
    LegalMom0928 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I think if you can eat it in moderation, and it fits within your macros, then it's fine. I ran out the door this morning without eating a proper breakfast (I knew better!) and half way through my errands, I was a hungry, crabby mess! Split a bag of jerky with my kiddos, and we all survived to dinner! :) I definitely opted for a low carb/low sugar selection, though, to keep my carbs on target.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I make my own jerky, because of how much sugar they put in the store stuff. It isn't very hard, just takes time.

Stove on the lowest setting, meat sliced thin (1/4" or there about), and then let it sit with the door cracked open for 8 hours or until dry. Use small amounts of dry seasoning before drying (if you don't want plain). Not too much salt or seasoning. It slows drying and concentrates the flavor. It is very easy to go too strong with some stuff.

A pound of meat dries to a third pound or less of jerky (even down below 1/4 pound of you get it really dry). Oh, and trim all visible fat when slicing. Fat prevents drying and increase spoilage.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    There are a number of boutique jerkeys inmost major grocery stores now. Many have really low or no sugar content. I've also become a fan of epic bars which are amazing. And have no sugar.
  • gcminton
    gcminton Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Which epic bars do you like? I just got a box of the uncured bacon bars because they were the only ones I could find online that were 0 carb (several varieties had added sugar in some form), and they're just awful. Weirdly sour, the taste reminds me of sardines and lemon. I don't know if we just got a bad batch, but they're not good. I'd like to give them another shot.
  • mandycat223
    mandycat223 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I make my own jerky, because of how much sugar they put in the store stuff. It isn't very hard, just takes time.

Stove on the lowest setting, meat sliced thin (1/4" or there about), and then let it sit with the door cracked open for 8 hours or until dry. Use small amounts of dry seasoning before drying (if you don't want plain). Not too much salt or seasoning. It slows drying and concentrates the flavor. It is very easy to go too strong with some stuff.

A pound of meat dries to a third pound or less of jerky (even down below 1/4 pound of you get it really dry). Oh, and trim all visible fat when slicing. Fat prevents drying and increase spoilage.

We're lucky enough to have a genuine butcher shop available to us (in fact, they are opening a second location just around the corner -- yeahhhh, no more schlepping to the other side of town) and they sell real fajita meat. I've been meaning to try my hand at jerky with this meat. It's razor thin and completely lean so I think it will be perfect. Thanks for the reminder.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Another tip is to slightly freeze the meat, then it's way easier to cut thinly. I do this for meat that we want in a salad or for carpaccio. Not sure how it would affect the jerky process though.